Terminator: Salvation

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Terminator: Salvation

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Here's the new trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/terminatorsalvation

May 22, 2009

It has me interested.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

So does anybody know which timeline this one falls into?

I'm guessing it ignores the Sarah Connor Chronicles series. Does it ignore T3 as well?
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I think that it retains some of the T3 storyline, since Kate Brewster/Connor is a part of it. But even the trailers indicate it is different from what Connor expected the future to be. I haven't read anything yet that indicates how much/little of the T3 story is in it.

Also isn't Terminator: TSCC supposed to be a stand alone feature spinning off of T2?
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Galvatron91 wrote:
Also isn't Terminator: TSCC supposed to be a stand alone feature spinning off of T2?
Yeah, the TV series only follows T2.
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

One thing that bothers me about the TV show is that it has rendered itself virtually incompatible with the future that will be depicted in Terminator Salvation. In the show, John's future is a lonely one...Cameron being his closest companion. There is no mention of Kate Brewster and their time jump has rendered most of T3 impossible. Salvation is clearly meant to tie in somewhat with the movies series, as Kate Connor is a central character. I guess I have always tried to look at them as being separate timelines, or separate continuities, like Smallville to the comics. However, I’m wondering if this difference is hurting the TV show…it’s moving to Fridays so the ratings can’t be great.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

It's a shame that Simon Bisley, a very talented writer and artist who did a bit of Terminator fanfic for Darkhorse, might not be involved just a little (I would jump for joy if he was mentioned as a contributing adviser on the movie staff). I have been recently disappointed with the Terminator series during Terminator 3. The whole idea of Sarah dying was somewhat of a letdown (I was expecting something better for her character), and nothing against Arnie, but maybe casting different people as the T-800 character would have been a better idea? By the way, the resin busts of characters are up for sale on Big Bad Toy Store now, that T-600 looks nifty!
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

Looks decent enough, it's not like Christian Bale puts in a bad shift in anything so it should be watchable while he is on screen.
Springer007 wrote:It's a shame that Simon Bisley, a very talented writer and artist who did a bit of Terminator fanfic for Darkhorse, might not be involved just a little (I would jump for joy if he was mentioned as a contributing adviser on the movie staff).
I wasn't aware Bisley contributed anything other than cover art for Dark Horse's terminator comics.

Andy
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

AndyTurnbull wrote:Looks decent enough, it's not like Christian Bale puts in a bad shift in anything so it should be watchable while he is on screen.

I wasn't aware Bisley contributed anything other than cover art for Dark Horse's terminator comics.

Andy
I could be wrong though. I am researching a bit more now since this movie has gotten my interests up just a tad.

edit: Thought he had, my mistake. I had seen working drawings he had done depicting the insides of a few t series awhile back. woops *sweatdrop*
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

Springer007 wrote:The whole idea of Sarah dying was somewhat of a letdown (I was expecting something better for her character
Part of that has to do with the fact that Hamilton and Cameron had that messy divorce prior to T3 taking place. From what I read, even with Cameron's limited role in the project, there was no way they could get either party to come together, they did ask Hamilton and she said no...and they didn't want to recast Sarah, hence her death and John moving on towards Judgment Day without her.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

That's interesting that they wouldn't recast Sarah, as they did do John. Good, though, as Hamilton was so, so incredible in T2.

It's definitely been suggested that the lovely Summer Glau has a cameo in Salvation - though that wouldn't necessarily have to tie it into the "Chronicles" series. (Though it's been suggested that the movie is one of the reasons that the show has gotten a full second season....)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

As I understand it, the new movie is supposed to tie in directly to the TV show, cancelling out T3. Kate might be in there somewhere, but just because she hasn't shown up in the show yet doesn't mean she won't in some form.

The show is already giving evidence of signifigant changes uptime(Derek's having no memory of being tortured, the bendy-wendy Terminator that the T-Glau turned into a pretzel, Schwarzenegger not being the Governator in 2010, the fact that John Connor turns from the great militaristic leader to pulling a Howard Hughes), which is probably why he's got no idea what's going to happen now.

The only constant is the fact that Judgement Day happens, and John Connor leads the rebellion against the machines. Which could be the best that Skynet could hope for.

Especially since both Skynet and Connor are sending troops back through time to try to tip the odds. Terminator versus Robocop all over again.....
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Very disappointed...

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Alright, well I saw it last night and man, the first half was ok if you like action and explosions, but later in the movie the most ridiculous plot hole I think in movie history occured...
SPOILER! (select to read)
Ok, so the machines catch Kyle Reese and use him as bait to lure John Conner to Skynet. Why the f*ck didn't the machines just ****in' kill him? No Kyle Reese means no going back in time to bang Sarah Connor. I mean seriously, that would have wiped out Connor's existence and the machines would be victorious! Ugh, it just absolutely killed the movie. What the hell were the writers thinking?
This plot hole reminds me of why The Terminator Franchise Makes No Damn Sense!!! Seriously read this if you're a fan of the franchise. Damn right hilarious!
Clay

Post by Clay »

I saw it today and really liked it. Lots of action and 'whoo, look at that' eye candy, but more importantly had great parallel human dramas with John Conner and Marcus.

It was also full of little homages to the first two movies - not just lines, but shot references too. It was nice and subtle and not thoroughly derivative like T3 was, which was basically T2 with Arnold older.
snavej

Post by snavej »

The way I see it, whenever someone travels back in time they alter something, even if only the air that they breathe or the microbes they crush underfoot. Thus, they inevitably create or move into an alternate universe. Therefore, any time travelling in the Terminator franchise gives opportunities for events and characters to change. The Terminator franchise is not one straight-line story, but rather it has many branches.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between the capture of the hydrobot (on the examination table, held with straps) is similar to the scene in Transformers (2007) when the special forces team are examining Scorponok's blown-off tail on the plane back to the USA? Cross-pollination!;)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Watched it. Nice movie, with some unexpected twists.

Wished that there would be more terminators though. Yep, those hydrobots look very bayformer-esque. Especially the scene snajev pointed out.
snavej

Post by snavej »

I recently saw the trailer for the forthcoming GI Joe movie and that had scenes quite similar to Transformers (2007) too: Joes in robotic battle suits dodging missiles on the street like Ironhide did.

At this point, I should say 'Terminator' to keep my message relevant to the thread.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Watched it last night, thought it was great. i've stopped nitpicking time travel films, there will always be plot holes so i find it better just to lay back and enjoy the film. the action was great, as were the characters, well apart from stupid pilot woman...The kid who played kyle reese was eerily similar to his future counterpart and superbly cast.
SPOILER! (select to read)
i only wish that the the intro to the film was somewhere in the middle ,maybe as a flashback sequence, so that it wouldn't be so obvious that marcus was a terminator

the only other niggle i had was blair suddenly turning her back on the resistance having known marcus for all of 5 minutes...

i found that i enjoyed the film more after seeing T1 on tv when i got home and thinking back to all the references.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

It was okay. Well, rather good actually although the movie was carried mostly by Bale, Yelchin and especially Worthington rather than the brilliant plot. I'm kind of surprised that the reviews are that poor. On the other hand, in this thread the only person so far who's dissapointed complains mainly about something that didn't seem to happen in the movie, so...

BTW, that's how I'd like to see fights between [giant] robots on screen. They were clear and not confusing as opposed to Transformers, where you had to see the thing twice to get who was doing what to who in some scenes.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Ozz wrote:It was okay. Well, rather good actually although the movie was carried mostly by Bale, Yelchin and especially Worthington rather than the brilliant plot. I'm kind of surprised that the reviews are that poor. On the other hand, in this thread the only person so far who's dissapointed complains mainly about something that didn't seem to happen in the movie, so...
Yeah, Bale and Worthington are what make the movie. Without them and the plot thread that goes with them, it would have been like T3 with better effects.

Not to say that it still doesn't have plot holes you could drive a truck through, but I found it very enjoyable overall. Seemed to be done with some amount of love and care as opposed to T3, which was just T2 by the numbers.
miked23
Protoform

Post by miked23 »

I thought it was a pretty good movie. I think the plot could have been a little better but other wise it was sick. The acting was pretty good except for the fact the Christian Bale was going boarder line with his Batman voice.

I wish they had made mention of Kyle haveing a brother. It would have been pretty sweet if Brian Austin Green from the TV show had made an appearance.