Marvel release 1st Wolverine:Origins trailer

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I have a ticket to see the movie tomorrow night...

Now, where's my collection of X- and Wolvie badges got to?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Well...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

... that kinda sucked...

As a fangrrl of long standing - hey! I was there when Weapon X debuted in The Incredible Hulk - I am inclined to 'meh' this movie and give it 6/10 for looking pretty and having Hugh Jackman briefly in the (tasteful) nuddy.

Sure, I know things have to change. This is a new Universe. All that jazz.
SPOILER! (select to read)
But stating the bl**ding obvious to keep the story short and then confirming Victor as James' brother (rather than John) was a little galling. The war shots emphasised the length of time and history; even James leaving made sense; but the movie was strained round its plot holes. Who double triple quadruple crossed whom left me wondering whether the script writers were genuinely trying to show the long-term changing relationships between the main characters compressed into a short time span or just flailing hopelessly. And the ending? Nice fight, nice nod to a certain nuclear meltdown, but "oh, so unwise"...
Complete waste of Wraith, Deadpool, Gambit and The Blob. They were there because the plot demanded them. End of line.

The cinema was hardly half full. There were plenty of students and a smattering of older people, but an alarming number of groupies who had no fecking idea what they had just watched, but Hugh had been cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ozz
Protoform

Post by Ozz »

Clogs wrote:
But stating the bl**ding obvious to keep the story short and then confirming Victor as James' brother (rather than John) was a little galling.
Lost me there. What was wrong with that exactly?
Clogs wrote:but an alarming number of groupies who had no fecking idea what they had just watched, but Hugh had been cool.
Is it "OMG you need to be fan to watch it" or am I not getting what's the problem with that?

EDIT:
Apparently one of the secret endings "unruins" Deadpool. Assuming it's true, I wish that would cause all who needlesly and ahead of the time whined about that drop dead, Internet and the world in general would be a better place.
-Okay, the bomb's dropped. Life goes on. No amount of sulking or worrying changes that. We've got our own lives to live. In that regard, in five minutes time, I am using the autopilot on the Midnight Runner and taking it down the pub. If I go on my own, I go on my own.
-Well. Wait up, you horrible English git. While I'm around, you don't have to go anywhere on your own.
And, one by one, the others follow.
And, one by one, they begin to smile.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ozz:

Point 1. Galling because it was so very 'in yer face'... after all the plot lines Marvel came out with so subtly over the absolute years.

Point 2. Nope, not that. Just loads of young women squealing to each other over Mr Jackman's personality hem-hem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

i was massively dissapointed. The plot its self wasn't too bad, The CGI was shockingly bad (checking out his claws in the mirror, slashing the fire escape with Gambit on it, walking away from the explosion, superimposed Xavier head etc) Deadpool worked great until the cyclops powers, i can almost forgive the sword arms and teleportyness. i wasn't too convinced by Gambit. could have worked great but the actor just didn't convince me. and who was Dominic Monaghan meant to be? last i heard he was meant to be playing beak?

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

I don't know, it was ok.

I did like
Xavier
showing up at the end, but the rest of the ending really just ruined it for me.

I liked the whole thing right up to the part where he met up with Remy, then it went downhill and fast.

Liked Wraith, Wade, Victor, Zero.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Prowl1984 wrote:who was Dominic Monaghan meant to be? last i heard he was meant to be playing beak?
Christopher Bradley, a young mutant who first appeared in X-Men Unlimited. Had electrical powers and the Legacy Virus. Showed up later in Maverick, and even became Maverick, before being killed.

Woot.

Overall, rather unimpressed. Not an awful movie, mind, just not great.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Dead Man Wade wrote:Christopher Bradley, a young mutant who first appeared in X-Men Unlimited. Had electrical powers and the Legacy Virus.
It's been a long, long time, but I seem to remember that being a cracking issue. Unlimited was really good for about 5-10 issues... I seem to remember one about a guy hired to assassinate Magneto being brilliant.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yawn.

Awful CGI, some shocking acting. And, crucially, a plot that basically boils down to an extended expositionary flashback. The sort of thing that, intercut with a "present day" storyline, could work, but on its own just comes across as boring and functional.

I can't be arsed with spoiler tags. Thought Deadpool was awful (though not as awful as Stryker's clumsy attempt to work the name in - Death Pool makes more sense in the context). Though the redeeming feature is that he wasn't played by Reynolds and couldn't answer when Logan asked if it was him... so retconny goodness won't be too difficult.

I can't believe I sat through all the credits for Hugh Jackman downing shots and saying he can't remember stuff. I mean seriously. For a split second I expected Robert Downey Jr to walk into the bar, a la Hulk. At that point I realised that one scene could have easily eclipsed the entire movie.

Meh.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

that's cool, the other one i heard of (yet haven't actually seen so don't shoot me down if i'm wrong) is Wade turning up at the wreckage, picking up weapon 11's head and saying "who the hell is this meant to be?" or something along those lines. i think the premise is that weapon 11 was a clone. although i'm excited to see that Deadpool lives in that ending, he'd better not have all those powers if a movie does get the go-ahead.

Hunter S.Thompson
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The worst film I've seen for some considerable time.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:The worst film I've seen for some considerable time.
You actually went to the cinema? Have they started letting people smoke in there?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Fire exits are my friend. There were four people in there, counting me and the other half - I can deal with that.

There were so many awful moments I can't even remember most of them... and not in a "didn't like Deadpool/Gambit/Flatfart" way, just epic fail as a film on its' own terms. Wolverine flipping the Humvee into the air or riding a motorbike out of an explosion stuck in there a bit, as did the three-corner scuffle between him, Cotton and Deadpool, where they were chucking each other around like mentalists on top of a thin circular ledge, and yet however hard they landed it was always on said thin circular ledge.

How did the military police get Stryker to stop walking? Hell, what exactly did they think was happening? "Hmmm, we've heard THROUGH MAGIC that this chap slotted a general in a facility that's since been destroyed. Wait, I hear he's walking indiscriminately across the country. Let's round him up."

Why do random men with dogs turn up within seconds of Wolverine killing his dad and start chasing him and Sabretooth?
AndyTurnbull
Protoform

Post by AndyTurnbull »

It's done well enough to warrant a sequel.

I watched this with my brain switched off and as popcorn fodder it was acceptable but it's a poor reflection on the first couple of X-Men films.

I demand a sequel where they show Wolverine hunting down Gambit to get his coat back.

Andy
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Cliffjumper wrote:The worst film I've seen for some considerable time.
Go see Star Trek, that'll cheer you up. if anything can cheer you up besides a 20 of Marlboro's that is.

Hunter S.Thompson
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Did Stan Lee make an appearance in it at all?
Also when did Wolverine start riding a motor cycle? was it in the comics prior to the first X-men movie or during the movie?
Destruction is my specialty
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

HeavyArms wrote:Did Stan Lee make an appearance in it at all?
No. Stan only appears in the movies of the characters he creates. While he did create the X-men, he did not create Wolverine, hence no cameo.
Also when did Wolverine start riding a motor cycle? was it in the comics prior to the first X-men movie or during the movie?
Wolverine's been riding motorcycles in the comics for as far back as I can remember.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyArms View Post
Did Stan Lee make an appearance in it at all?
No. Stan only appears in the movies of the characters he creates. While he did create the X-men, he did not create Wolverine, hence no cameo.
Huh. I thought he was going to have a cameo anyway.
Quote:
Wolverine's been riding motorcycles in the comics for as far back as I can remember.
That's what I get for not staying in touch with the comics.
Destruction is my specialty