Dollhouse Discussion (Expect Spoilers)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Transformer Kamen wrote:I actually had completely the opposite reaction--really liking the episodic feel of the first and (most of) the second seasons. The last few episodes have really seemed like season 3 being crammed in at the last moment. Basically, everything after the thing with the Senator has really disappointed.
Its difficult, I did enjoy the episodic feel for the first and part of the second season, but the quality of them was lacking (yes, im bringing up the singing episode), and it needed to progress beyond that and become something alot more... I do completely see what you mean about the last few episodes, too much has changed too quickly.

For instance in the space of 2 or 3 episodes we had DeWitt have multiple breakdowns, crises of conscience, flipping from side to side between Rossum and loyalty to the house, and the final reveal of her intentions.

Also, the completely random 3 month time jump that took place was horrifically forced, and in a sense ruined the pace of the show.

In a perfect world I would have extended the episode involving Victors release in to a 2 parter as I was really looking forward to seeing how he would integrate with society (an idea which reminded me of Shawshank), and whether the dollhouse would affect him... But this was glossed over to him just laying in a bath cos it was like the sleeping quarters in the house.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

CounterPunch wrote:Its difficult, I did enjoy the episodic feel for the first and part of the second season, but the quality of them was lacking (yes, im bringing up the singing episode), and it needed to progress beyond that and become something alot more..
I'll agree that Dollhouse has generally been mediocre; however, my personal enjoyment of the show usually derived from its potential rather than actual substance. There are several interesting questions about identity and what it means to be a 'person' that the show would only occasionally get into, but always made me think when it did. Secondly, there has always been an extreme moral ambiguity about the Dollhouse. It's essentially a human trafficking ring that manipulates vulnerable people into 'choosing' to become dolls. Yet, there are a few episodes where the client is not a perverted sicko or a scumbag (I'm thinking mostly of the S1 episode with the guy with the dead wife) but people who honestly need some companionship.

I've always thought that Dollhouse might work better as a mini-series where Whedon could focus on the major themes of the show without having to appeal to a broadbase audience. At least I'll give the benefit of the doubt that it's Fox tying his hands in certain areas. ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

That was awesome.

I'm not convinced it made any sense whatsoever, but it was awesome.

I love Amy Acker. :(