The All Purpose Green Lantern Thread (spoilers and what nots)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

GL Gear

Post by ganon578 »

Saw this pop up on IGN.com and thought you all would like to know. There's a site with a bunch of gear from Green Lantern and Blackest Night. T-Shirts, toys, etc.

Blackest Night Gear :clap:
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Blackest night came out today, and for a first issue, I have to say that I really liked it. This has been effectively set up over the past year and its nice that at least indirectly, the series is dealing with the strange phenomenon that no super hero ever really stays dead.

Synopsis for issue #1:
people die, zombies, mass hysteria, etc.
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

ganon578 wrote:Saw this pop up on IGN.com and thought you all would like to know. There's a site with a bunch of gear from Green Lantern and Blackest Night. T-Shirts, toys, etc.

Blackest Night Gear :clap:
Right on. At the end of each week, I got myself one more shirt. Have to admit; I guess the orange one is my favorite, although I wear the blue one more frequently.
Zisteau wrote:Blackest night came out today, and for a first issue, I have to say that I really liked it. This has been effectively set up over the past year and its nice that at least indirectly, the series is dealing with the strange phenomenon that no super hero ever really stays dead.

Synopsis for issue #1:
people die, zombies, mass hysteria, etc.
And I thought Last week's GL issue was hardcore-
SPOILER! (select to read)
Black Hand. Licking. Skull. DAMN.
Johns does it again- turns a C-rate candy store villain into a friggin power house to be contended with.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Zeeks wrote: Johns does it again- turns a C-rate candy store villain into a friggin power house to be contended with.
No kidding! I love that his weapon is basically a light saber with no saber. He just swings the hilt around at people and it eats them!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Zeeks wrote:Just the fact that you come up with this shit makes me smile, D. :lol:
Mmm... I should probably point out that I don't read much DC (particularly "event" books, which seem to be on treadmill release schedules these days) and even less Marvel, it's just that I read a few places that talk about comics.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Denyer wrote:Mmm... I should probably point out that I don't read much DC (particularly "event" books, which seem to be on treadmill release schedules these days)
See, it's that that makes me sad that this has been turned into an event type thing because it's not an event type story. Not like Final Crisis or Civil War anyway. It's the culmination of a nearly five year long build-up of an epic conceived and orchestrated by one writer with the aid of some very fine artists and editors. It revolves around just two books and a mini-series and while there are some crossover tales they aren't necessary to read and if you're just a casual reader it would probably be better not to bog yourself down reading them as they'd just complicate the story.

I've read the whole of this since it was started back in 2005 and it is probably one of the best comic book stories I've ever read. Johns has reinvented the entire mythos of the Green Lanterns while also telling a tremendously enthralling tale.

However much I might not like it this Blackest Night story was probably just too big to not involve more of the DCU than just the Green Lanterns.