Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm glad your three year old didn't fall apart.

I bought some Hot Wheels cars from BIG DISCOUNT where I bought a box and some Weetabix from also. I've stumbled into picking Hot Wheels cars up as and when - and if there's something that looks half decent. Not into all the weird made up stuff they churn out, which all looks horrible. ANYWAY.

I got a '70 Camaro in black WITH FLAMES, a yellow Porsche Carrera GT, a 1985 Honda CR-X (white), '73 BMW 3.0 CSL (black) and a green '69 Mercury Cyclone* WITH FLAMES and they are all splendid.

Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt for not picking Matchbox cars (my childhood toy car of choice), but since Mattel bought Matchbox, they've turned the once proud British toy cars into the most garish looking crap I've ever clapped eyes on. It makes me sad.

*with names like that, its no wonder American cars always seem so awesome next to the Austin Alegro and Triumph Herald. Our cars always conjur up some image of a Neville who works in the civil service in the 1950s, where as American cars sound sexy and exciting. Which is no doubt in part why the roads are now choked with traffic and the air is full of crap.
kathykit
Protoform

Post by kathykit »

Zeeks wrote:Figured I would give this idea a shot- one thread where we can post new and updated pics of whatever Non-TF stuff we collect. Starting off, here's some updated GL and mixed figs I've picked up in the last couple weeks:
I just bought Marvel Iron man MARK XLVI and War Marchine from HOT TOYS! Pretty cool!
Actually still bought BUU figure, so lovely!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

BanDai DX Leopold Tank Robo or something

Pre-Robo Machines Pre- Gobots branded Tank faced fella from BanDai's Machine Robo line. Bought for not much more than the £7.75 price sticker on the box, and he's minty. Just missing an alternative barrel I never knew this figure had. I like the big GoBots. They're fun and weird looking.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Old Batman toys! I was contemplating on buying the BvS Batmobile and either the armored or "grapple attack" Batman to go with it but I couldn't get over the crappy plastic capes Mattel gave them, so instead I got...

Legends of Batman Knightquest Batman - actually a miscoloured Knightsend Azrael, he's got a red costume and black shoulderpads and wings when the latter should be red and the former silver. The missile launcher is surprisingly powerful.
Legends of Batman Batmobile - this is probably the first toy I've bought that I actually remember seeing in a catalog or in the back of a box for another Batman toy, wanting as a child and actually buying as an adult; while the same probably applies to a lot of Transformers, I have no recollection of actually seeing them in catalogs as a kid. As a toy it's basic but also striking, namely how they try to sell the opening cockpit as a gimmick since all it does is fire a missile, but the silver colour and the curves really make it stand out.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

AH GOTS SERM MARVEL LEDGE-ENDS.

Unlike me, I ****ing know.

First off, picked up Nico Minoru from the Doctor Strange/Dormammu wave. Waiting to buy things at retail is awful. How do you normals do it?

Reasonable figure. Some nice paint detailing on the face and upper arms. They've captured the goth girl aesthetic well, even if I'm not keen on the particular costume they've opted for. Nice that she's got flat boots. Staff of One really feels like it should be longer though. Magic arm is staying away.

AND courtesy of toybitch Clay, I have the recent TRU exclusive three pack. A week later than I should have done because the post office didn't bother giving me a missed delivery card and I only found out when I went to pick up a Seacon...

- Current version Vision, from Mark Waid's ANAD Avengers and Tom King/Gabriel Walta's EXCELLENT Vision series (recently concluded and excellent). Standard Vision toy in the new colour scheme. Really busy paint job that works better on page than it does on toy. Two closed fists with no alternate hands feels a bit saddening, but hey ho. He's not the reason I went for the set.

- Sam Wilson, Captain America. I likes. Big fan of Sam as Cap. Marvel's recent thematic of characters picking up the mantle of other heroes has had generally good results for me, but this was definitely one of the braver ones and possibly my favourite, given the effect the character's existing history has on the dynamic. Good figure, really captures the essence of Captain Sam, rather than being Steve Rogers with the head of a black guy. Would have been nice if we'd got a wingpack for him as well, but budget clearly prohibits.

- And finally, the main event, everybody's favourite archer. Lady Hawkguy, Kate Bishop. Not sure if it's a body re-use from Madame Hydra/Masque, but it works for her well - tall and uncomplicated. Height-wise her shoulder is level with Nico's eyes. Not a lot of detailing, but the minimalist purple look suits the character. Not sure about the cutout panels on the hips, but hey ho. Though you can see the moulded bellybutton under the paint, so react to that how you will.

Flat shoes - LOVE flat shoes on the female figures, shame we're not getting double jointed elbows yet, though. Nice accessories - quiver hangs off the side of a loose fitting belt, while the bow looks all high-tech (I DON'T KNOW ARCHERY).

Good head sculpt. The sunglasses are the sort of thing that could have been lazy, but works as cool. Very Kate Bishop. Is she bored, is she not taking it seriously, is she passing through on the way to the beach, is she massively hungover? WHO KNOWS. We just need a Pizzadog toy now.

One down on each of the Runaways and Young Avengers. :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego DC Comics Super Heroes 76054 Batman: Scarecrow Harvest of Fear
Lego Star Wars 75152 Imperial Assault Hovertank
Lego City 60122 Volcano Crawler
Lego DC Comics Super Heroes 76055 Batman: Killer Croc Sewer Smash
Lego Ideas 21304 Doctor Who
Lego Nexo Knights 70338 Ultimate General Magmar

All bought in the last two weeks, some on discount, some not, one I'm still paying off.
Destruction is my specialty
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Couple of Lego Movie sets, The Secret Police Dropship and Bad Cop car chase.

The Dropship is frickin' AMAZING. Whilst Benny's Spaceship is still my favourite LM set, its just a bit too bloody big for its own good. This set does the same job of packing in some fun play features, but is just a bit more manageable to handle. The sliding doors, jail pod and hover jet things are all ace features, as is the cool grappling hook that you can peg a Robo Swat onto. It looks great too, and very fierce. Packs in 8 figures too, which isn't too shabby. Love the Robo Swat dudes.

Bad Cop's car chase is also pretty good. The car is a bit silly - its massive - but I love its beef. Its a bit light on detail, but does what it needs to. Bad Cop also comes with a chair to kick (nice). The best bit of the set for me is the Robo Swat bike. This thing packs in some muscle, but doesn't turn it into some comically overwrought thing. Its just a cool little add-in. The set also comes with a cute Wyldstyle figure with determined and smiley faces. Good stuff!
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Brains, from the Matchbox Thunderbirds line.

The toy store I go to often fills their discount section with old stock (I got a bunch of Space Jam figures last year for like three bucks each), but one from freakin' 1993 has to be some kind of a record.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote: AND courtesy of toybitch Clay, I have the recent TRU exclusive three pack.
Wait, what? I'm not the toybitch, you are!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76060 Doctor Strange's Sanctum Sanctorum -
Toyworld rented out a local hall to hold a clearance of toys and on the last day I was able to find the Doctor Strange set there.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Picked up a BS 6" Scarif stormtrooper squad leader.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Picked up a Lego Nexo Knights 70337 Ultimate Lance.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

More old Kenner toys!

Batman Forever Street Biker Robin
Batman Forever Robin Cycle
Legends of Batman Future Batman

Robin is a fun figure with a load of accessories, I especially like the double grappling hooks doubling as a trapeze for him to hang on, although the saddle bag launcher it a bit naff since it slings over his shoulders awkwardly, it sits there almost as badly as it does on the bike (where it clearly wasn't designed to fit, even though you'd think they'd taken that into consideration). The bike looks really nice with the LoB Batmobile, although it's a lot more detailed and clearly takes more after the Forever Batmobile, and it's displayability is hindered by the ripcord gimmick - said cord is really freakin' long. The funny thing is that this bike is a lot bigger than the Marvel Legends Blade's bike, despite being for a much smaller figure.

Ironically, the Future Batman is a slight letdown - not so much for the toy itself, but for some reason he has a really egregious stress mark on his flight pak wing, and some of his joints feel a little loose - which is rather strange since I bought all of these carded. On the plus side, unlike the Knightquest Batman which I got last month, he looks great even without the backpack, which also hinders his head articulation and makes it difficult for him to actually look like he's aiming the gun he comes with.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

burnitall wrote:Picked up a BS 6" Scarif stormtrooper squad leader.
Me too. Wonderful figure with fantastic paint apps. While at Walmart, I debated between him and the regular Scarif Stormtrooper. However, the former was on rollback for $16 (the latter wasn't) and the blaster rifle he comes with is way cooler. And I really dig the powder blue on the Squad Leader.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I went looking for a regular shoretrooper on Sunday. No dice. I'm not too worried about it, things usually turn up in time. I'm going to need a captain, too. It's just a regular trooper with more blue than the squad leader, and the cool rifle.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

burnitall wrote:I went looking for a regular shoretrooper on Sunday. No dice. I'm not too worried about it, things usually turn up in time. I'm going to need a captain, too. It's just a regular trooper with more blue than the squad leader, and the cool rifle.
They're coming out with a Captain too? Is that the one where the blue goes full up the chest plate?

I understand the regular trooper is available through Walmart.com at a normal price here and there. If you get desperate, you can always pick one up online. Or do the free site-to-store shipping.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

So, Marvel Legends Iron Fist.

I really want to love this. Because it's Danny Rand in the Aja Immortal Iron Fist costume, and because it's the Pizza Spidey model and because it's Marvel Legends and oh my god have you seen the flame effect fist things?

But. I dunno. He just doesn't feel right. It's like he's too tall and the shoulders are too narrow for the character. It just doesn't quite work for me. The trailing parts of the belt and headband feel like they're in the way.

The bandaged fists look great and so do the translucent ones and the flame effects (which can be used with either fist and fit on a lot better than the ones they used for Jubilee - expecting these to be reused for Sunfire). But I'm just a bit underwhelmed.

On the plus side the BAF part he comes with is Dormammu's shoulder armour, and it fits over Danny in quite a hilarious "I am your ridiculous dark lord now!" over-sized manner. So that's good.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

ganon578 wrote:They're coming out with a Captain too? Is that the one where the blue goes full up the chest plate?

I understand the regular trooper is available through Walmart.com at a normal price here and there. If you get desperate, you can always pick one up online. Or do the free site-to-store shipping.
No, they're not coming out with a captain. Not yet anyway. I just want them to! I'll probably get a model kit. I think those have the option to build either a regular, squad leader, or captain. *yes they do.
Attachments
Bandai-Star-Wars-Rogue-One-Model-Kit-Scarif-Stormtrooper-Shoretrooper-Promo-08.jpg
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

SH Figuarts Robo Rider and Bio Rider.

That completes the Black RX figures. I wonder if I should get Road Sector next and complete the Kamen Rider Black series too, or look into getting the Toei Hero Net exclusive version of Apollo Geist since he's probably the rarest (ie. most expensive) of all the Showa era exclusives.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars 75145 Eclipse Fighter - The set is based off the Freemaker Chronicles Lego cartoon.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76057 Spider-Man: Web Warriors Ultimate Bridge Battle - The biggest set from the Marvel sub-line and contrary to the name of the Ultimate Spider-Man line, which is based on the cartoon, this set takes inspiration from the comic version of the characters.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: History Of Leonardo - This is a boxset of eight Leonardo action figures ranging from his appearance in the original comic through to the various cartoon, comic and live-action depictions of the character.