Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Super 1 & V-Machine

The V-Machine is one of those wonderful toys that look great once you handle it, you realize that sometimes simple is the best; you move one part, another one falls off, that sort of fun thing.

At least this time I went through all the extra parts carefully to make sure I didn't end up with double & missing hands like I did with my previous exclusives.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

So I know also have Soul of Chogokin Getter Liger (STAR ARROW, MOFOS) and he is ace.

Suffers from the same floppy waist issue as Poseidon, but is LOADED with accessories and features and stuff and this is good.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Went to the cinema today to trade my christmas gift card for an actual ticket and got one for Alien Covenant next week. While I was there, I found a Hot Wheels Yellow Submarine which I had to have.

Also got GX-11 Diana A in the mail.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Nexo Knights 70365 Battle Suit Axl from Big W last Sunday.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Made a few acquisitions over the past few weeks, some Marvel, some DC (and yes, Warcry, I'm closer to 10 on the ML's):

ML Iron Man - Civil War: Found him at Ross while shopping for Mother's Day. Couldn't really pass on him at $7, even though I've heard he has some hampered articulation. Those accounts are dead on, but he still looks pretty good and I don't expect Iron Man to be a contortionist. The spare hands and repulsor blast effects are nice. Maybe sometime I'll get a flight stand to put him on. He goes good with the discount Cap I found.

ML Star-Lord: GOTG was a welcome surprise when my wife and I watched it a year or so ago; I've grown quite fond of Chris Pratt's Star-Lord. Got the version that looks like his first movie appearance, rather than the Vol. 2 figure. The 'Chris Pratt' head isn't dead on like Vol. 2, but it's a little more comic book-y, so he fits in better on the shelf. He's also got his Star-Lord mask head as well as a set of headphones, a Walkman, dual pistols, and the Infinity Stone orb. That's a pretty good load of accessories! The downside is the rubbery hands, but at least they still hold things fairly well.

DC Unlimited New 52 Aquaman: Very pleased with this figure. I returned the DC Icons version I had, as I couldn't bring myself to have a 'teenage' Aquaman amongst the other JL figures on my shelf regardless of the sculpt quality. I'm really happy with my replacement, and he was cheaper to boot. There's a slight difference in the green plastics across the legs, and the face doesn't scream 'Classic' nor 'New 52' but I think it works really well. His 'trident' (does this count as a trident? It has 5 points...) is more in line with a classic look than the DCUC figure, and seems more proportioned. The orange scale-mail is done really well, with a darker orange plastic with a slight yellow wash over the top to give it some sheen. Stock photos make the figure look hideous, but it's really good in-hand, and doesn't have the funky gap at the ribs like the stocks make it out to have. :up:

And in a few days, I'll get my hands on DC Multiverse Robin (Damian Wayne) from TRU. I really dig the look, even though he looks quite a bit older than Damian actually is. That fits what I am looking for though, and I may just make a little custom bo staff for him to go with his katana blade. Can't wait for him to arrive!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, that Damian seems decent, just like it's nice to see characters such as Oracle getting actual decent releases -- I went with the Artfx one a while back as the animated one didn't fit at all, and IIRC there's a very old design that's rare and not very good but a quick google is failing to find.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Denyer wrote:Yeah, that Damian seems decent, just like it's nice to see characters such as Oracle getting actual decent releases -- I went with the Artfx one a while back as the animated one didn't fit at all, and IIRC there's a very old design that's rare and not very good but a quick google is failing to find.
Interesting - all I saw when I searched for it was a shiny statue of Damian. I don't think that's what you have.

I don't really have any drivers to buy this one, more that I just liked the look as a 'bad-ass' type Robin. I haven't read the comics in years, though I try to keep up a bit with Wikis/movies/TV. It's just too hard on the pocketbook with all the other interests I have, let alone to buy all the books required to become acquainted with the DC Multiverse, as it is.

I'm working on two things - 1) make a 6" Justice League that doesn't involve the Icons figures, and 2) get new versions of figures I had as a kid. The first one is fairly simple, just biding time and money to select the figures I really want for my JL. Next up is probably the Unlimited New 52 Wonder Woman, followed by some version of Flash. Cyborg seems to be the most challenging, as the only one in the 'DCUC' style is the earlier Teen Titans look, which I'm not fond of. All the others I'm not 100% sure on their scale relative to the other figures. The second 'task' is pretty fun, but some of the DCUC figures I am shooting for aren't necessarily cheap. Damian Robin happens to fill the gap, while being a newer figure with a great look that isn't a 'classic' Robin with boy shorts and elf shoes.

I'm also thinking of building a New 52 Doomsday, but I'd rather the figures be on clearance for ~$10/each since I don't plan on keeping... well, really any of them. Maybe Superman: Doomed.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Recent pick-ups, thoughts, and re-thoughts on figures:

'Re-thought': Star-Lord. He still looks pretty good, but his joints suck... really bad. The inner elbow joints are so thin they're kind of floppy. I mean, they do the job, but it's almost like they're re-purposed from Princess Leia. And I'm not digging the hands. At all. They're flimsy. His left hand nearly doesn't hold his blaster, as the fingers on each hand are molded with something slightly more robust than butter. With the success of gun-toting ML figures like Cable and they other Star-Lord, it's amazing that these are this bad. Otherwise, still looks OK with all the other accessories.

Pick-Up: Robin (Damian Wayne). Nice figure all around, a couple issues though: his tunic doesn't have any cuts in it, so his hip range is limited. Kind of sad for a normally acrobatic figure. Cool looking knee-pads... not great execution. They 'float' on the knees, but they're C-shaped so they don't always stay on. I was worried the head would be stationary due to the hood design, but it's a separate piece (head/hood molded together, but separate from the cape). It limits the movement quite a bit, but I thought it would be statuesque... so, win on that one. The included mask and sword are really well done. He's also fairly balanced for a tiny guy with a rubber cape (which is thin, so that helps).

Pick-Up: Kitty Pryde. Warcry informed me that she's kinda 'meh', and that's pretty accurate. Not a bad figure in any sense of the word, just kinda... there. Figured she was the harder to find of the last three I 'need' for a complete Juggernaut, so I picked her up when I saw her on a shopping trip. Not much else to report on her though.

Pick-Up: New 52 Doomsday CnC. Having mentioned this figure 5 days ago while I had been 'watching' a few on eBay in the $60-70 USD range, one that I was watching dropped to $40. I honestly figure there was no way I was going to build one for that cheap, unless the 6 figures it takes to get there dropped miraculously to ~$6 a piece on clearance. I wasn't too jazzed about any of them anyways, so I'm glad I dont' have to try to hock them on eBay. I ordered Doomsday at his low price on Friday morning, and he arrived lightning-fast yesterday. I'm actually amazed that it got here so quickly from across the country. Anyways, he's a really nice figure that I'm very happy with. Standard articulation for a DC fig, but he's big, bulky, and has good range with his snug joints and large feet. Some of the spikiness hampers the arms a touch, but it's not a deal breaker. The neck has better range than any DC figure I have as well. I'm surprised there are no visible pins on any of the joints, which makes the aesthetic quite seamless. He's a big brute, but not super weighty, and the size is just about right for matching up with my classic Supes. The Death Of/Reign of the Supermen storylines were some of my faves from way back, so it's fun to have Doomsday (even if it's not the classic version - I kinda like this one better) on my shelf duking it out with Superman.

Lots of new plastic in the house, and most of it is stuff I'm really enjoying. :)
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Disney Store is clearing out all its Star Wars: Rogue One figures, so I picked up the 6" Die-Cast K2S0 and Cassian Andor for £15. Bargain! Might hold out see if the rest of the cast drop to a fiver like Cassian before I commit to those.

I also picked up a Marvel Legends Nico thingy from Runaways from the Doctor Strange Dormamu BAF assortment. I like her! She's really cool. Good sculpting and detail and whatnot. Such a shame that the rest of the wave is pretty forgettable (although Enchantress looks good) as Dormamu looks awesome.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

ganon578 wrote:Interesting - all I saw when I searched for it was a shiny statue of Damian. I don't think that's what you have.
It's a statue, but a tiny one -- the eyeline comes up to shoulder height or below on the recent DC figures so the scale works. And the pose is spot on for Damian, only slightly less articulated than, say, the classic Dodson WW figure or Cyclone.

Apart from occasional random DC and Marvel figures, I've gone two ways, classic Birds of Prey and a JLU and Batfamily mix of non-grimdark characters. Since we're getting an A-Force set I'm going to try for at least a part-complete Nextwave bunch as well (currently just the Nick Fury that came with the surprise alt head, and a Machine Man arm-modded with a long coat as a sort of early-recruitment henchman for Dirk; I'll do the head properly eventually...)

Don't have any of the big two... might look for a decent Supes/Bats to display next to each other at some point.

edit:

Kitty's decent, as is the Phoenix in that wave. And got my other half the Rogue to go with a Diamond Select Gambit. Would've been the Storm that came with the body of the Jubes BAF but those seem to be obscenely priced, massively more than the loose BAF cost.

What I don't really get is that there'll be brilliantly sculpted versions of certain characters that then don't get reused whilst utter tat seeps onto the shelves.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:'Re-thought': Star-Lord. He still looks pretty good, but his joints suck... really bad. The inner elbow joints are so thin they're kind of floppy. I mean, they do the job, but it's almost like they're re-purposed from Princess Leia. And I'm not digging the hands. At all. They're flimsy. His left hand nearly doesn't hold his blaster, as the fingers on each hand are molded with something slightly more robust than butter. With the success of gun-toting ML figures like Cable and they other Star-Lord, it's amazing that these are this bad. Otherwise, still looks OK with all the other accessories.
The first-movie Star-Lord wasn't well received at all. In fact, that whole wave got pretty bad reviews because of the soft, gummy plastic that got used for the hands and joints.

Apparently the GOTG2 one is leagues better.
ganon578 wrote:Pick-Up: Robin (Damian Wayne).
Is this a newer release? I haven't seen it, but I haven't been looking either. I've wanted a Robin for ages and I'm not super-picky on which one I get. The only one I've ever seen in stores was the DCUC Silver Age Robin with the panties and pixie boots though, and that's an awful look.
ganon578 wrote:Pick-Up: Kitty Pryde. Warcry informed me that she's kinda 'meh', and that's pretty accurate. Not a bad figure in any sense of the word, just kinda... there. Figured she was the harder to find of the last three I 'need' for a complete Juggernaut, so I picked her up when I saw her on a shopping trip. Not much else to report on her though.
Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about her.

Are Phoenix and Iceman the two you're still after? They're not horrible but they're definitely the weakest of the bunch.
Denyer wrote:Kitty's decent, as is the Phoenix in that wave. And got my other half the Rogue to go with a Diamond Select Gambit. Would've been the Storm that came with the body of the Jubes BAF but those seem to be obscenely priced, massively more than the loose BAF cost.
Those Jubilees you're seeing are bootlegs, in case you were thinking of buying one, but apparently they're pretty good quality.

It's really a shame about that Storm. So many of her outfits are awful, so of course the only nice one they've made a figure of costs as much as an entire wave of new releases. Hopefully they'll do a figure of her 80s punk design soon, since that was the only time she's been an interesting character.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Denyer wrote:It's a statue, but a tiny one -- the eyeline comes up to shoulder height or below on the recent DC figures so the scale works. And the pose is spot on for Damian, only slightly less articulated than, say, the classic Dodson WW figure or Cyclone.
Hey, if it works, it works. I've never been fond of statue-type figures, but ironically most of the poses I do for my shelf aren't terribly dynamic. I suppose I just enjoy fiddling with them from time to time.
Denyer wrote:Batfamily mix of non-grimdark characters
I'm searching for the new 'Batgirl of Burnside' Multiverse figure. I kinda like her better than the more classic/Arkham Knight/New 52 Batgirl design. Something about the lively purple and yellow just does it.
Denyer wrote:Don't have any of the big two... might look for a decent Supes/Bats to display next to each other at some point.
I've got DCUC Supes and the DCUC '1989 Movie' Bats. They don't match from a classic color look, but the aesthetic matches.
Denyer wrote:Kitty's decent, as is the Phoenix in that wave. And got my other half the Rogue to go with a Diamond Select Gambit. Would've been the Storm that came with the body of the Jubes BAF but those seem to be obscenely priced, massively more than the loose BAF cost.

What I don't really get is that there'll be brilliantly sculpted versions of certain characters that then don't get reused whilst utter tat seeps onto the shelves.
I'd like to fill the gaps of the 'classic' X-men on my shelf, but I think that's going to be a long term project. Some of the better sculpts and characters of the ML line seem to have expensive aftermarket costs. All the while there's droves of Vance Astro and Sentry all around, that don't even sell on clearance.
Warcry wrote:The first-movie Star-Lord wasn't well received at all. In fact, that whole wave got pretty bad reviews because of the soft, gummy plastic that got used for the hands and joints.

Apparently the GOTG2 one is leagues better.
Yep, I should have done my homework on him before diving in. :( He's a disappointing 'waste' of $20.
Warcry wrote:Is this a newer release? I haven't seen it, but I haven't been looking either. I've wanted a Robin for ages and I'm not super-picky on which one I get. The only one I've ever seen in stores was the DCUC Silver Age Robin with the panties and pixie boots though, and that's an awful look.
Yep. He's in with the King Shark wave, and comes with a cool looking hammerhead shark 'extra' head. I've attached a pic of my Dynamic Duo. Don't have his white mask in there though.
Warcry wrote:Are Phoenix and Iceman the two you're still after? They're not horrible but they're definitely the weakest of the bunch.
Iceman and Havok. Got Phoenix for 'free' when I pinged Hasbro about Rogue's missing knee piece. After I got Phoenix, I was so damn close to Juggernaut I figured I would dive in. Iceman and Havok have been peg-warming around here, so I'm not in a huge yank to buy them immediately. Kitty was a little more scarce.
Attachments
Duo.jpg
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:I'd like to fill the gaps of the 'classic' X-men on my shelf, but I think that's going to be a long term project. Some of the better sculpts and characters of the ML line seem to have expensive aftermarket costs. All the while there's droves of Vance Astro and Sentry all around, that don't even sell on clearance.
My local stores don't even have any Legends at all right now, except for the last lonely Misty Knight and Hellcat at my local Walmart and a handful of last year's X-Men at EB Games. Anything new that comes out, they put out a single case, it sells out immediately and the pegs stay empty for the next month. :(

I guess they want me to give my money to Amazon instead.

[EDIT]And a classic X-Men lineup will definitely be very slow going, unless you're content to grab the godawful Toybiz figures just to have the character represented. If you want anything half-decent, you need to wait for Hasbro to get to them at a rate of seven or eight figures a year, about half of those in more modern outfits.

I'm guessing it'll be at least a decade before they make everything I want, and most of what I want is the hyper-popular 70s and 90s looks!
ganon578 wrote:Yep. He's in with the King Shark wave, and comes with a cool looking hammerhead shark 'extra' head. I've attached a pic of my Dynamic Duo. Don't have his white mask in there though.
That looks pretty neat if I ignore the fact that it's got Mattel's trademark circa-2004 articulation. And the tunic covers the ugly DCUC-style hips that I'm assuming he's got. May grab one if I see it.

Apparently the King Shark wave is out in Canada already, but the stock pic that I saw didn't include Damian so I had no idea he was even in the set.

*checks*

Apparently it's a TRU-exclusive? I guess that explains why. I'll check my TRU the next time I'm there.
ganon578 wrote:Iceman and Havok. Got Phoenix for 'free' when I pinged Hasbro about Rogue's missing knee piece. After I got Phoenix, I was so damn close to Juggernaut I figured I would dive in. Iceman and Havok have been peg-warming around here, so I'm not in a huge yank to buy them immediately. Kitty was a little more scarce.
Oh right, Havok is a thing. I'm pretty sure this is the third time this thread I forgot he existed. Not sure how I forgot that you posted about Phoenix just a couple weeks ago, though!

Havok is fine I guess, except that he's Havok and who cares about Havok? I wish he had an optional classic head so I at least had the option of making him look memorably stupid. He's a perfectly cromulent figure, it's just that he's Havok and I'm going to forget he even exists again before I hit "Submit Reply".
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Warcry wrote:Havok is fine I guess, except that he's Havok and who cares about Havok?
**** you.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'll happily eat my words if he ever morphs into an interesting character, but I've made it to the end of the 80s in my big read-through of X-books, he's been a main character again for thirty-plus issues now (plus a couple minis and crossovers) and he's still crap. Even Dazzler is more interesting than him right now. And Longshot! Longshot!

It'd be awesome if at some point they gave him a personality beyond "watered down Cyclops who tries really hard not to be Cyclops but acts just like him", but then I suppose that would require him to actually be a character in his own right and not a perpetual motion machine running on self-doubt and angst who only got added to the roster because X-Factor needed Scott.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Whoops, should have mentioned Damian is a TRU exclusive... but I see you searched and got that already.

I didn't know he existed until a FB group I'm part of (but don't participate in) shared a link to order from TRU.com. Otherwise, he would have come and gone without me knowing. And yes, he does have those dreadful hips, but they're thankfully covered. Seems like they've been doing that here and there, like having Doomed Supes' underwear cover it up. What I can't understand is, while Mattel give proper ball hips in that line with Batman: Zero Year, why the hell can't they do it across the board?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Nexo Knights 70366 Battle Suit Lance.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Got a black series 6" Leia. It was the carded one, so it actually passes for Carrie Fisher. The cloth dress is hard to manage, though.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Batman Movie 70908 The Scuttler - Lay-by I payed off.

LEGO Dimensions Fun Pack - Knight Rider - Half-priced at Eb Games.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Scuttler is awesome - probably my favourite of the Bat-movie sets.