Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Re: Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Post by Heinrad »

Injustice 2 Harley Quinn: Found this at a not very local GameStop on Pro Day. Now I have a Harley with a surprising amount of swappable hands that's just the right size to beat the crap out of some G.I. Joe figures. If I had any G.I. Joe figures, that is.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

That's adorable.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They've gone to a bit of effort with the plastic used on the head (looks better than renders and that photo doesn't quite capture it) and apps so for the more normal price it doesn't feel like too much of a rip off. Not looking to go far down the rabbit hole but seeing they've done Tung Lashor and Mosquitor -- who were both favourite characters as a kid -- that'd cover the three evil warrior factions.

edit: Tung Lashor's even better and likely to be favourite. Will grab a pic when the third arrives. These things remind me of the Madballs toys that had bodies, way more than the couple of space marine pops I've got -- they really fit with that aesthetic.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I don't remember him, but I like his crabby hands.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I'd be all about a flocked Moss Man. That said I already have far more than enough funko figures!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Hidden Side 70431 The Lighthouse of Darkness - Bought from eBay, 20% cheaper than from retail.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Lego CiTY 60221 Diving Yacht
I've always wanted one of Lego's boats that float. I seem to have missed the boat, if you'll pardon the pun, on some of their smaller non-emergency service sets and this one looked charming. You get a boat, a couple of figures with diving gear and a bit of undersea terrain (with sunken treasure!), as well as a swordfish, crab and fish. I like sets like this, that have a lot you can do with them (like the excellent Space Shuttle 60226) and adventures you can send the minifigures on. The boat itself is really nice and sporty looking, with some nice details like the sun lounging deck at the front and the bomerang piece used as a radar or something. Or just to look cool. Which is does. The cabin has room for a bed with a sticker used for some instrumentation/ undersea camera, which is nice (although a bit impractical being stuck above the bed). In addition to the diving gear, the two minifigures also get some hairpieces, which is excellent, so they're not just stuck wearing diving gear whilst they go out to sea. Just a shame there isn't a crate or something included to better tidy this stuff away - there's the simulation of a storage area at the back but nothing useful. Best you can do is sling the flippers and that on the bed. A few stickers are used to add a bit of detail to the pre-fab hull and roof which have survived the bath so far! As the boat doesn't need a lot of parts, Lego have chucked in a handful of parts to give you a surprisingly evocative bit of seabed. I know it's daft, but I really like this. It's incredibly effective and I like that you can plug the swordfish into the tendrils of the plant to make it look like it's properly underwater and swimming towards you. Nice. The orangey-yellow crab and sand blue fish are both welcome too, adding some extra colour and life to the scene, as you try to get to the treasure chest which contains a jewel (or two, if you're lucky enough to get a spare like I did). A small buoy build rounds out what is an excellent fun set with lot of play potential. Easily one of the best sets Lego's done this year.

Lego Star Wars 75267 Mandolorian Battle Pack
So this is pretty cool isn't it? Four flavours of Boba Fett with a couple of nice builds - a sort of speeder bike type effort and a bit of terrain to pose a figure or two in (if you juggle the bricks about). I think Chocolate Orange Boba Fett is my favourite - I like his orange hat and grey/ brown colours. As you can tell, I'm a massive Star Wars fan so know the proper names and everything. I've given him one of the visor pieces the set curiously comes with. Probably not proper or 'canon' or whatever, but it's Lego you know - do what you want. I do. The bike is nice and beefy and reminds of that thing Death's Head used to ride around on in some unrelated comics I like, so yeah, this is a fun little set of badass looking fellas. The stud shooters wouldn't have been my choice (I really miss the blasters and whatnot these sorts of things used to have) for this particular set but I get it adds play value pinging little plastic bricks at your enemies, so I don't mind (and - whisper it- they are good fun, especially the gattling type ones Lego do).
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The stud shooters are my least favourite thing about modern Star Wars Lego. They're ugly, AND my son always gets really upset when he flings yet another bit off to disappear behind the couch. But the battle packs are good fun in spite of them, though I don't have this particular one.

Marvel Legends Electro

From the Spider-Man retro wave. He's fine? I dunno, after seeing how good a job Hasbro did on their G.I. Joe stuff, their Marvel figures feel a bit lazy. It's a fine representation, but it's hard not to look at it and see the reused parts and dated articulation. I like him well enough but I also feel like I already own the same toy 20 times over.

Some of the other Spidey retro figures look cool but I know I'll never see any of this in stores and online retailers in Canada won't even get enough to cover their preorders. I find that I've lost almost all interest in the Legends line because of it (and because of Hasbro shuffling the most desirable costumes and variants into exclusive two- and three-packs bundled with figures no one wants). There's enough stuff out there to buy that I don't see the point in following a line that's making it as difficult as possible for consumers to actually buy what they want. Sadly, it seems like Hasbro sees this as a winning formula because Transformers is drifting in the exact same direction. :(
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Warcry wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:34 amI find that I've lost almost all interest in the Legends line because of it (and because of Hasbro shuffling the most desirable costumes and variants into exclusive two- and three-packs bundled with figures no one wants). There's enough stuff out there to buy that I don't see the point in following a line that's making it as difficult as possible for consumers to actually buy what they want. Sadly, it seems like Hasbro sees this as a winning formula because Transformers is drifting in the exact same direction. :(
I'm starting to feel the same way about TFs. It wasn't so bad when exclusives just meant only being available at a single brick & mortar chain that I'd probably stop by anyway. Now it seems like more and more figures are only available on-line, from a limited number of sources, in insufficient supply. So, you've got to track which figures are coming out when and try to preorder. If you do preorder, your preorder may be cancelled. Figures that are available at b&m are hard to get due to covid travel restrictions. Impulse buying is pretty much a thing of the past except for Cyberverse toys.

LEGO Creator 31090 - One of those "3-in-1" sets where I have no interest in the two alternate builds. This is a yellow undersea robot with a bubble dome helmet and one red eye. I added 4 slopes to cover the studs in the waist and he looks much better.

LEGO Classic 11717 - 1504 pieces for $40 at Walmart. It comes with a few 16x16 tiles to use as small baseplates. It wasn't in the regular LEGO aisle, but one aisle over.

I bought the first kit when I was out for bike ride and stopped by Michael's on a whim. I bought the second when I was in Walmart looking to replace the spring in my bike's quick release and passed by the toy department. I wouldn't have bought either if I'd had to plan ahead.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sneaky bois.

https://i.imgur.com/h9u2zwc.jpg

edit:
It wasn't so bad when exclusives just meant only being available at a single brick & mortar chain that I'd probably stop by anyway. Now it seems like more and more figures are only available on-line, from a limited number of sources, in insufficient supply.
I'd see online as far preferable to store/con exclusives, but artificial scarcity is a surefire way to kill lines.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm I'd be all about a flocked Moss Man.
Apparently there is one, released a couple of years ago through TRU so a bit hard to find now. --
https://www.toysonfire.ca/shop/product/ ... ko&page=95

Also these things which seem more plentiful on eBay --
https://hotstuff4geeks.com/product/funk ... n-flocked/

And miniatures --
http://www.actionfigurebarbecue.com/202 ... eroes.html
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Denyer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:23 am
StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:17 pm I'd be all about a flocked Moss Man.
Apparently there is one, released a couple of years ago through TRU so a bit hard to find now. --
https://www.toysonfire.ca/shop/product/ ... ko&page=95
Want. Not at prices "vaulted" pops tend to sell for though, £30 is the cheapest current eBay example -- he's not £30 worth of nostalgia to me, more an amusing curiosity.
Also these things which seem more plentiful on eBay --
https://hotstuff4geeks.com/product/funk ... n-flocked/

And miniatures --
http://www.actionfigurebarbecue.com/202 ... eroes.html
Both of these are nightmare fuel, especially the Soda one...kill it, kill it with fire!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Jurassic World 75939 Dr. Wu's Lab: Baby Dinosaurs Breakout - The first Lego set I've bought since Victoria entered into stage 4 lockdown.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars 75284 Knights of Ren Transport Ship - Put on lay-by along another set.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Harry Potter 75980 Attack on the Burrow - Put on lay-by along another set.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars 75293 Resistance I-TS Transport - The second half of a lay-by that I've payed off.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Harry Potter 75969 Hogwarts Astronomy Tower - The second half of a lay-by that I've payed off.

Lego 70434 Supernatural Race Car
Lego 70435 Newbury Abandoned Prison
Lego 70436 Phantom Fire Truck 3000
Lego 70437 Mystery Castle

All lay-bys that have been paid off.

Lego Hidden Side 70429 El Fuego's Stunt Plane.

Lego DC Comics Super Heroes Wonder Woman vs Cheetah.

These two I think I bought a while ago, I don't quite remember.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Lego Star Wars 75288 AT-AT

A gift from my family. Very nice set that comes with a bunch of fun stuff to mess with: 2 AT-AT drivers, 2 Snowtroopers, General Veers, and Luke Skywalker, an eWeb blaster, and a speeder bike. The speeder bike stores nicely in the AT-AT, and the eWeb can kinda be stored as well. There's a cool grappling hook underneath with a panel that can open so yo u can recreate Luke throwing a thermal detonator into the beast.

Earlier this year I had picked up a 40th Anniversary Snowspeeder, and the two pair pretty well for a fun play set.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76162 Black Widow's Helicopter Chase, 76163 Venom Crawler & Harry Potter 75968 4 Privet Drive - Finalized a lay-by for these.