What is your job title?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

yep i didn't believe it at first either...just like i don't believe someone on this board has actually heard of Tenby!

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
borg72

Post by borg72 »

an interesting thread.

I finished uni this June, and despite looking for a job straight away, am still unemployed! I was a Finance Analyst for an investments company, which was bascally looking after the book-keeping and general books-of-business finance stuff. Decided to go to Uni full time to get a degree while i was still young enough to get a full student loan (24 at the time).

My best jobhunting anecdote comes from going into a branch of a temping agency called Reed Accountancy (yes, I'm naming and shaming) and being told that I have "No relevant experience" for a Finance Administrator role as I had been at Uni for three years (Studying finance, I might add, including a year at one of Americas top non-ivy-league colleges). Charming.

it seems being a graduate (and possibly looking a few years younger than I am) instantly blinds anyone to any actual element of my not unimpressive CV

I have my 13-week jobcentre assesment thing coming up soon. Oh, the laughs we will have.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Prowl1984 wrote:yep i didn't believe it at first either...just like i don't believe someone on this board has actually heard of Tenby!
Ah, yes, and been there once... http://www.visittenby.co.uk/ They don't speak Welsh in Tenby, even the poor Welsh I can manage; never ask for cacen gri because it's embarrassing to have have to correct the request... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_cake
borg72 wrote:it seems being a graduate (and possibly looking a few years younger than I am) instantly blinds anyone to any actual element of my not unimpressive CV
Employers always do this to graduates. All you need to remember is that the person placing the job/interviewing you is not as educated, and resents the fact you could join the firm and make them look silly.
borg72 wrote:I have my 13-week jobcentre assesment thing coming up soon. Oh, the laughs we will have.
Indeed. Wind up the interviewer by asking if there are any jobs available in the Department for Work and Pensions. Many districts do have adverts out or may be looking at some more recruitment soon. There is also a fast-track management scheme available. Just be warned that, if you are desperate enough to ask and then get any such job with the intention of just getting by for a couple of years, you'll be in my place 25 years later... ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

borg72 wrote:an interesting thread.

I finished uni this June, and despite looking for a job straight away, am still unemployed! I was a Finance Analyst for an investments company, which was bascally looking after the book-keeping and general books-of-business finance stuff. Decided to go to Uni full time to get a degree while i was still young enough to get a full student loan (24 at the time).

My best jobhunting anecdote comes from going into a branch of a temping agency called Reed Accountancy (yes, I'm naming and shaming) and being told that I have "No relevant experience" for a Finance Administrator role as I had been at Uni for three years (Studying finance, I might add, including a year at one of Americas top non-ivy-league colleges). Charming.

it seems being a graduate (and possibly looking a few years younger than I am) instantly blinds anyone to any actual element of my not unimpressive CV

I have my 13-week jobcentre assesment thing coming up soon. Oh, the laughs we will have.
if it makes you feel any better, i was told once i didn't have enough retail experience to unload a truck at wal mart. thus why i don't buy wal mart unless i have to. how does one need retail experience to take a pallet and then put it in an area, unload it, then put it on the shelf? or to be a greeter or a glorified janitor.. seriously.... i hate the excuses that people like us aren't qualified BUT yet we studied the theories of said job and want the experience. i could rant even more but i don't want to blow a gasket :P
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

I got Demoted!

I'm no longer an Overnight Assistant Manager.

I'm now an Overweight Electronics Merchandise Supervisor at a Wally World that's not even open yet.

So I've spent the past two weeks asking potential new minions the same 10 questions over and over again and typically getting the same response.

ME: Tell me about a time you had to follow the rules.

Mouthbreather: <drools> Its always important to follow the rules.

ME: You're hired, Next!
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Baxter wrote:I'm now an Overweight Electronics Merchandise Supervisor at a Wally World that's not even open yet.
Go on a diet, douchebag.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

heh at least you get a bonus, Books A Million employees don't because either A) the economy (but seriously, the store I work at is ALWAYS busy and the bonuses should be given out to stores that do several thousand dollars or more in and accumulated merchandise a day).

B) the company is building a new store in Florida.

Both are plausible, but I am thinking a combination of the two. AT least as a manager and worker at Wal Mart gets a heck of a lot better pay and treatment than a book store clerk any day. I am not going to even take a vacation soon because I truthfully get mini vacations anyway: sometimes 3 to 4 days off in a row. Now if they force it on me, what can I do, it is a paid vacation after all, but I can't even afford to go anywhere that I would love to visit.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
BinaryDad
Protoform

Post by BinaryDad »

I'm the Senior 3D / Physics programmer for a small independent game developer in Austria. We make free to download games for various clients, on the PC.

I'm the guy who does all of the physics/simulation stuff for out physics based skills games. For example, the last game that was released was a game for Volkswagen to promote the release of the new Polo, here in Europe. I wrote the driving physics, along with some of the core technology.

I actually come from a console background. Most of my career has, up until this point, been working on console stuff. I'm looking for a new job, and while I've had plenty of offers from some big name developers and publishers; they're not offering a lot of money right now and I have no desire to let my family suffer just because I want a cooler job that the one I have now.

So....I'm happy to stick with my low-stress job, not doing the greatest games on earth but I'm pretty well paid, never work overtime and thus, get to spend a tonne of time my wife and baby daughter. It also means I don't feel so burned out at the end of the day, that I can't work on my own game, in my spare time, which is coming along just fine.