[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Downloaded River City Ransom for the NES on the Wii VC. Pretty cool little brawler, and more in depth than I would have expected for a brawler on the NES.
Auntie Slag wrote:I love Super Mario Sunshine, I've never seen it as the weakest of the Mario games... for me the island analogy as a hub world works much better than that in Mario Galaxy, even though its exactly the same premise darbed in different clothes.
I have fond memories of Sunshine from college when I dumped hours of time into exploring it's every nook and cranny. I bought it back recently to do the same thing.
HeavyArms wrote:Agreed with what Ackula said, with the awesome story mode, the at times difficult Challenge Tower, the awesome X-Ray moves and the Fatalities.
I highly recommend it.
Excellent. I look forward to it, when I can afford it!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Got Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions (X360) for 30 bucks since EB Games is a having a sale at the moment.
Destruction is my specialty
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I got it a while back, but I'm just finishing up Kirby's Epic Yarn. Great game! Cute, innovative, and fun. Plus the kids and wife love it.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Got Final Fantasy VII from Half.com a few days ago.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Got Final Fantasy VII from Half.com a few days ago.
I take it that's on an original PS1? PS3s are they backwards compatible? I only ask as FF7 and FF8 are two of my favourite games of all time and I'm thinking of investing in a PS3 and that could swing it.

I have all my old PS1 games, but couldn't for the life of me think where my PS1 is, I did find my Dreamcast, but couldn't get Dino Crisis to work on it and binned the fecker.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I've still got my PS2, but I've tried a couple of PS1 games on the PS3. It doesn't seem to have any problems with them.

I picked up Fable 3: The Trials of a PC User In XBox Land. Okay, the subtitle is not actually attached to the game, but it's a fair description of what I went through to install the game. I love it, but do I really need an XBox Live gamer tag to play a PC game? Really?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Wait, PS1 games work on a PS3?

I didn't know that, sweet.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sunstreaker2 wrote:Wait, PS1 games work on a PS3?

I didn't know that, sweet.
There can be problems saving, though, so be aware that you could lose your PS1 progress! It's happened a lot to the Scraplets...

Latest games for me are Transformers ones for the iPad. Yup, I went out and spent my bonus (no pay rise again this year) and my impression is that I made the right choice in buying this as the games are graphically very good if a little basic.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Currently playing Saints Row on the 360, I beat one when I first got it but I cheated and didn't get any of the achievements, so now I'm playing it again to get most of the single player stuff, then I'll finish up COD 4 and get the last couple of achievements for that game.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Have purchased an iPad. This is now in the possession of my Scraplets, who won't give it back. So, I'm not playing anything new I've bought this last week 'COS THEM LITTLE RATS IS PLAYING IT :wall:

Got a cool Transformers game app free and a free piano studio for the heck of it. They sounded quite good and might well be, since I can hear them being played...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just purchased the Humble Bundle last night and started playing Osmos. Great little game! I haven't gotten into the other ones yet, but looks like decent fun.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Red Faction Armageddon came in the mail a few days ago, after making an order for a cheap copy at just $40 dollars.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Just finished my first playthrough of Deus Ex. It's a very, very good game. Lots of fun, very good story and loads of little nods to the original.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions and Forza Motorsport 3 for 360.

Shattered Dimensions is largely disappointing. Web of Shadows had, from a combat standpoint, been the best Spider-Man game thus far, as the web slinging flowed fairly fluidly into the fisticuffs. Shattered Dimensions is clunky, and just feels like a massive step backward. There was really no reason, from a gameplay standpoint, to have four Spider-Men, as the only one that plays all that differently is Noir. The others could easily have been rolled into a single version (though, the same is fairly true of Noir) without losing a lot. Pity, as I was really looking forward to the 2099 portions.

Forza was a purchase for the wife, but it's been a pleasant surprise. I've played it far more than she has in the past few days. The number of cars and tracks, combined with the level of customization, makes for a stupid amount of variety. I'm also quite impressed with the storefronts, where in-game money can be spent on new cars, tuning setups, and designs (the designs people come up with are mind-blowing, given the MSPaint-level design tools in the game). Best $25 I've spent in a while.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Acquired a few old things last week via trade-ins with a locally owned game store:

Platinum GameCube & GameBoy Player
Super Mario Land (GB)
TMNT: Fall of the Foot Clan (GB)

Never played either GB game before, so it's been kinda cool to experience them for the first time.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I got Dead Island for 360. It's a bright shiny new game, but I hear there's alot of glitches. I've not come across any, yet, in 6 hours of play. I hope there's more to the gameplay, because kicking a zombie down then bludgeoning it to death is getting kinda old. So is "go fetch" for people. Nice graphics, though.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

burnitall wrote:Nice graphics, though.
Something I've been curious about for a while: Does that really matter at this point? I mean, that's like saying a movie has good CGI; effects only really become noteworthy anymore if a big-budget blockbuster has "SyFy original movie"-level effects, which is exceedingly rare. Aren't good graphics pretty much just par for the course?

And how many games in the past few generations have had reviews that basically amount to, "Well, the game's crap. The story's awful, the gameplay handles like a drunk socialite, and the soundtrack sounds like raccoons mating, but by GOD if it ain't pretty to look at. 7/10"? Seems to me that the graphics really ought to be an afterthought (which is not to say that character design isn't a factor, but that's its own, wholly separate, consideration.

[/rant]
Loganprime84

games

Post by Loganprime84 »

last game i bought was dragon age 2.good game.and of course dark of the moon.it was done by the guys that did war for cybertron so its a lot better than the last few movie games.if you havent played war for cybertron...stop whatever ur doing right now and go get it!!now im waitin for arkham city.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I played war for cybertron a bit. Didn't like it. Too slow and repetetive. Lovely designs for the main transformers though, almost worth it just for that.

When I went back to England this summer I picked up loads of games. Dead Rising 2, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, Heavenly Sword, Mini Ninjas, Prince of Persia Trilogy (mostly just because sands of time is one of the greatest games ever), infamous 2, and Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

Should keep me going for a while. I've been hammering my way through Dead Rising 2, I really like it's online mode too. But it's one of those games with trophies for 2 player campaigns, and I don't know that many people with PS3s. Great fun though. I'm looking forward to the expansion pack which they've ended up turning into a full game, even if it is basically more of the same.
Loganprime84

mvc

Post by Loganprime84 »

onlines the best part of wfc and the dotm game.i bought mvc 3 and was super excited only to find i have no skill at all with 2d fighters.its the reverse fireball thingy.ill prolly ger the ultimate version thats coming out soon and hope ive magically developed skills.its got a bunch of new characters.hawkeye,dr strange,strider...looks cool.