[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Argh, dammit, I did it again, went to JB Hi fi and bought Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and God Of War Origins Collection.
Mass Effect, I got because I've developed an interest in the mythos and because I plan on getting Mass Effect 3 and I got Oblivion as the reason regarding Skyrim. I bought God Of War so that I would have them all on the PS3.
Destruction is my specialty
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I just realized that I've got 16 games for the PS3 that I bought about a month ago. That would normally distress me quite a bit, but I also realize that the most I paid for any game was $15. Best Buy had a slew of $5 game specials that beefed the collection out nicely (007 Blood Stone, TF: DOTM, Motorstorm: Apocolypse) as well as a good used sale (NHL 09 for $4, Madden 11 for $6). I got Metal Gear Solid 4 for $6 at a local pawn shop, and got Arkham Asylum (sort of) and Uncharted 2 for Christmas. The most expensive game so far has been Little Big Planet Game of the Year addition for $15 on Black Friday before I actually had the PS3. Oh, I was so young and foolish then. :)
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Steam Sale last week used for Dead Island, Deus Ex Machina.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Got Arkham City for Christmas. Loved it, but seemed quite short. Plenty extra to do outside of the story though I suppose.
Bought Splatterhouse, Enslaved & Alice:Madness Returns on the cheap. Played & finished Splatterhouse which I thought was a decent homage to the originals.
Also bought Skyrim (apparently a theme of late) which looks pretty but it'll be a while before I can dedicate time to it, also picked up warhammer:space marine which is good fun if a little linear (my only complaint about splatterhouse too)

Anyone who wants to add me on ps3 feel free - stonecoldskywarp (original huh!)
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Got Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Coolboarders 3 off the PSstore. Damn, they look like shit now. I'm glad to have access to these old games I've missed, though.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Because of the PSN Jan Sale I just snagged Crysis 1 and Gatling Gears.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Just noting you can also find me on Steam as StoneCold Skywarp too :D
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I finished Uncharted 2 last week. That's a fantastic game! I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, and I wasn't sure I'd like it, but my wife gave it to me so I had to give it a go. Great gameplay, well written and well paced, and very engaging. The behind the scenes where it described how they did the voice acting at the same time as the motion capture was something I had never heard of before, but it makes perfect sense.
So I had to buy Uncharted 1, and once the price drops like mad, I'm sure I'll get 3 at some point as well.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

On a slightly retro kick last weekend, I bought Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg, and Pikmin. Both are Gamecube games to play on my Wii.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I downloaded DC Universe Online, as it's gone free to play. It's actually alright, not earth shattering but fun and free.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Auntie Slag wrote:On a slightly retro kick last weekend, I bought Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg, and Pikmin. Both are Gamecube games to play on my Wii.
I picked up Pikmin 2 on a lark a couple years ago for $5 from a soon-to-be-defunct video store. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time. And, since I see that used copies are going for as much as $60 in some places, it's even more fun for me!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I recently picked up Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Heroes Impact and are there titles getting longer or is it just me?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Notabot wrote:I picked up Pikmin 2 on a lark a couple years ago for $5 from a soon-to-be-defunct video store. It's one of the best games I've played in a long time. And, since I see that used copies are going for as much as $60 in some places, it's even more fun for me!
Nice! Pikmin 2 was a really fun game when I still had it. I was recently combing used game stores as well looking for a copy of Wind Waker (used to have it and sold it a long time ago, now regretting it)...

As I still plow my way through 3D Dot Game Heroes (almost finished!) I picked up Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars for the Wii. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed playing through the Complete Saga (one of the few games my wife will play) so I thought this one was a no-brainer at $20. It's been pretty fun so far and I like how they have slightly changed things to keep it fresh. :D
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I'm playing Star Trek Online, as that's free to play now too. I'm really enjoying it. I've been curious about MMORPGs for a while, but been unwilling to pay a monthly subscription.

Now I've got a free one, which satisfies my inner and outer nerds too.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Well, I replaced my old copy of Wind Waker with one I picked up at GameStop, and at my local store, nonetheless! Plus it had the original artwork and instruction manual to boot! I never quite understood why GameStop charges the same cost for games without the original box and instructions over one that does (OK, I really do because people would buy the game regardless of packaging, I just happen to have OCD for that kind of stuff). I kinda wish I would have been able to get it from a locally owned retailer instead of a national chain, but oh well. Prepare yourself for defeat, cartoon Ganon!

And I'm toying with getting a DLC copy of Crash Bandicoot on my PS3. It's one of the Rewards from Gamestop and it only runs 3,000 pts. Does anyone have a recommendation on this game? I completely missed out on it during the PSOne era...
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I just bought a N64 off eBay.

Sadly, no games.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Joyness! What games are you going to get for it? Did it come with official Nintendo controllers or third party ones? I've heard Yoshi's Story is very nice for it :-) Thats what I'd go for... apart from the obvious ones like:
  • Starfox
  • Mario 64
  • Goemon
  • Zelda: Ocarina & Majora's Mask
  • Blas Corps
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Rogue Squadron
I wonder it will look on a modern TV, and if there's anything you can do to make it look as good as possible?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Dawn of War - Warhammer 40K - for Scraplet1. He's also taken me for the Ultramarines movie.

Whah!

Mind you: I now have another computer :glance: and some more geeky goodies on the way, so maybe I shouldn't buy myself any games at the moment...
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Just traded some stuff in to a local retailer and snagged a GBA SP (the newer back-lit model) as well as Mario Tennis for the GBC. Looks like I will have a system for a soon-to-be trip to San Diego!
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Auntie Slag wrote:Joyness! What games are you going to get for it? Did it come with official Nintendo controllers or third party ones? I've heard Yoshi's Story is very nice for it :-) Thats what I'd go for... apart from the obvious ones like:
  • Starfox
  • Mario 64
  • Goemon
  • Zelda: Ocarina & Majora's Mask
  • Blas Corps
  • Jet Force Gemini
  • Mario Kart 64
  • Rogue Squadron
I wonder it will look on a modern TV, and if there's anything you can do to make it look as good as possible?
I was going to get all of those and more, actually. And it came with two gray official Nintendo controllers, no hit or miss third party stuff here.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.