[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Sir Auros wrote:Uncharted is the best game on the PS3, so that definitely needs to be your next purchase. I thought Best Buy was bundling PS3s with MGS4 and Killzone 2 starting this week? Anyway, Killzone 2 sucks if you're used to FPS games on the 360 (you know, with good controls?). inFamous is the most fun I've had in an open-world game since GTA: San Andreas, so I'd highly recommend that.

As far as PSN games, Burnout Paradise is nice to have on your hdd, Mega Man 9 is the best on PS3, Flower is really cool, and Bionic Commando: Rearmed is super-polished.

Also, I can change your screen name if you can't stand it now.
Yes unchatred is great!! can't wait to get. Bestbuy.com said the Mgs4 on Killzone 2 bundle was online only and I didn't see it and I searched the whole store. but Little big Planet is still fun. As for the controls I hate the sticks!! They are too lose compared to 360. Guess i'll be renting Killzone2 1st. I'll get inFAMOUS after I get Uncharted. and I don't have High speed internet so no PSN. I've got to go to a Family members house to get on live, which is impossible now cause I just got the RROD last week, wich kinda made me get a PS3. and as for my name I want to keep it. Stipid move I know but it's who I am. But I am getting tired of cliffjumper making fun at it.:lol:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Downloaded the demo of Plants vs. Zombies last night on a whim to see what all the noise was about. I CANNOT STOP PLAYING THIS GAME! So effing addicting. Upgraded it to retail version nearly immediately.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Well I went ahead and bought KILLZONE 2, and well I like it. It looks so awesome on a hdtv almost photo-realistic at times. The only problem I have with it is the length. It only took me 6hrs 28m 32s to beat, and I was taking my time. The hidden items are well hidden which means good re-play value. I'm still shocked at how good it looks, if you like going after hidden items and just love a good looking shooter, then buy this game. however if your just gonna trade it off or play it one time, just rent it. 4.5/5

Now I also rented Uncharted between my last post and this one. I think we can add rentals to this thread no problem. Anyways, it's a good shooter with a plot twist I never saw comming! Great cover system, and nice range of guns. The A.I. can be too smart and too dumb at times but mostly it's good. It reminds me of Gears of war in terms of difficulty. Gears of war: casual wasn't so casual, Uncharted: easy ain't so easy. But to me thats a good thing. The story is wonderful and remimds me way too much of Indiana Jones in terms of style. They could have called this the adventures of NEW Indiana Jones and just stuck a hat on Drake and It whould have felt like a good next gen Indiana Jones. Heck it's even got Nazis,MP40s,and U-boats. This is a perfect game. If you have a PS3 then buy this game and you won't think twice about it. 5/5
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

You do realize they wouldn't be able to make it a Indy game due to licensing, right?

This week, I've recently cashed in on some Wii Points cards that have stacked up (also, finally used the other 500 free points on my DS. What did I download?

WII:
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link To the Past
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
  • Yoshi's Story
DS:
  • Dr. Mario Express
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I picked up a used copy of the PS3 version of Tomb Raider: Underworld on Sunday. It's infinately better than the DS version.

I also downloaded the "Desktop Lara" app. Alison Carroll is a definate hottie, and having her bounce around the desktop is really fun to watch(although the swimming with sharks bit is a bit dodgy). I have only two complaints:

1- she looks a bit unsure at one point, and the move itself is a bit clunky, when she puts her guns down to do a gymnastics-type move, then has to grab them up again. It's not terribly fluid.

2- I don't have her phone number. As I think she's as hot, if not slightly hotter, than Jennifer Love Hewitt, I find this depressing.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

In an attempt to find the demo for Plants vs Zombies(I'm trying to figure out what the game is about, let alone see how it plays), I did a whip round the PS3 store demo section. Plants vs Zombies wasn't there, but now I have a bunch of demos on the PS3. There's 2 I'm thinking about getting:

- Age of Booty, the game where you play as a pirate ship(well, technically as a pirate but you have no individual stats). It's fun, although the demo is too short.

- The Last Man, where you rescue hordes of people from zombies. And if the zombies get too close, you run for it, not shoot at them.

I think both of these are download only. I just don't know if I want to give Sony my credit card number.

I'm on the fence about Megaman 9. The demo isn't bad, but you'd think they could have made it look like Megaman 7 or 8.

In "get them from the store" games, well, I was already planning on getting MGS4 at some point, and the demo for Ghostbusters is fun(although it's given me the sinking feeling that the DS version, storywise, isn't all that different. All it seems to be missing is the newbie) so I shall have to get that. Resident Evil 5.... fun, but needs more ammo, so that one's a maybe. I think I will get Bionic Commando at some point, too.I never beat the original, maybe I can beat this version.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
*BARRAGE*

Post by *BARRAGE* »

plan on getting a ps3 soon, and can't wait for god of war 3...
HE JUST WON'T STAY DEAD
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

secretcode wrote:You do realize they wouldn't be able to make it a Indy game due to licensing, right?
Yes I was just trying to state everything the two had in common.

I got inFAMOUS from a friend and I really like it the substations get really boring fast but other than that it's pretty good. 4/5
Sades

Post by Sades »

After a long, long, long hiatus from playing games I've recently bought ES: Oblivion and since I first picked it up I've played it almost every day. The BF has XBox Live, so I may soon be using it as well- he also has a lot of games I've looked at and have been interested in trying out but never really played too much. Should be interesting, to say the least.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Oblivion is great. Have you got it on PC or XBox? If you've got it on PC, you can seriously extend its lifetime with mods - player made extra content. They're often really professionally done, and in my opinion, some of them are better than the main game itself in terms of stories and characters.

Anyway, I've ordered myself an XBox Live points card, and plan to spend some of the points on Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. I only ever played a demo of Curse of Monkey Island back in the day, so I'm really looking forward to this. Also considering getting Prototype.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I got Lego Indiana Jones:The original adventures for PS3, and it's fun but it has it's weak points. like some levels are so hard to complete and when you do you feel like an idiot. Now if your a lego game fan then you might want this but you should wait and get the next lego indiana Jones which has the 4th movie added to it and tons of more content. If your looking to buy it for PS3 as I did. Don't, just wait till the new one comes out because "the original adventures" doesn't have trophies, but if your buying for 360 get them both because each game is diffrent and has 1,000 gamerscore each and who doesn't want to boost their gamerscore? Bottom line: Great game for "Indie" fans, and a perfect game if you have little "Indie" fans. If you want it just to boost your gamerscore then stay away it's much trouble to go through. But if your a die hard Indiana Jones fan, a gaming mother or father, or someone who likes puzzles then it's more than worth your $20.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I got Batman: Arkham Asylum. I had previously played the demo, and liked the combat, but wasn't too impressed with the stealth or detective parts. But, it was only a demo, and it showed promise, so I picked it up.

I also DL'd the ROTF character/map pack, I thought I was the only one, but one other person popped in as I was getting ready to turn it off. I played as Sideswipe, Soundwave, Jazz, and g1 Prime. There was some glitchiness at first, for me, but it's a good expansion.:up:
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

*BARRAGE* wrote:plan on getting a ps3 soon, and can't wait for god of war 3...
They've just announced a GoW Collectors Edition which will include all 3 games.

I Bought myself a PS3 about 2 weeks back so far have got -

Resistance 2
Killzone 2
CoD: WaW
Batman: Arkham Asylum

Resistance 2 - Havent played too much of the main game, but I love the franticness of the online co-op

Killzone 2 - When I got this game I really enjoyed it alot, it looked amazing, and was quite fun to play, and was the first game I played on my PS3 only problem was.....

Cod: WaW - ...I then bought this, which really puts Killzone 2 (the way it controls) completely to shame, now I hate playing Killzone cos it is just awful the aiming and everything. Love this game, love all the CoD games.

Batman : AA - Man this was worth the wait, truly a fantastic game, very much worthy of the high scores it received and a complete joy to play. Shame it is as short as it is, I did my best to lengthen it out, but couldnt stop playing it.

I have a few games I want to get/borrow such as LBP (gonna buy the Game of the Year edition if its not too expensive) MGS4, Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Cod: MW2, new FIFA and Pro Evo.

Oh and... The FF:VII game download you can buy on Playstation Store, that play ok? As in any bugs and such, cos thats gonna be a definite buy for me.
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Bought Wolfenstein PC-waste of money.

Future purchase will include WOW xpac Cataclysm maybe Aeon. Not sure.

I'm a bit dissapointed with most of the games that have come out lately. Guess I am just spoiled by WOW.

Wolfenstein really is no longer an id production, so I can't blame them for the disappointment, but I purchased the game to play multiplayer, and it just blows large chunks.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Picked up Ghostbusters: The Video Game for PC. I love it, though it was clearly made for fans of the series, so I don't know how well it'll hold up for someone who doesn't know what a focused, non-terminal repeating phantasm is.

On the other hand, it has a fun story, lots of humor, and good voice acting. Plus you get to cause untold amounts of property damage while fighting legions of the undead...what's not to love?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Wasn't really planning on buying any games for a very long time (trying to finish grad school and all) but I had a $5 Best Buy rewards card and a 10% off coupon. Decided to pick up Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for the Wii for $13. Very happy with my purchase, but I think it's going to be a rather short game. It's very satisfying to fry Stormtroopers with lightning, and fun to bust out all the force moves like the force push with the Wiimote and nunchuk. I enjoy all the customizations you can do (different lightsaber crystals, costumes, variable force powers, etc.) IMO, a great buy for $13. For the initial $40-50 retail price? Maybe not so much.

Also managed to get Wii Fit (my wife wanted that one but I use it too) and with our purchase we got $10 off any video game purchase at Meijer which I put towards 2000 Wii Points. Downloaded some VC games:

Neutopia II (TurboGrafx 16)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese Import, NES)
Super Star Wars (SNES)

Neutopia II is a cool game for being almost 20 years old, and it's definitely a Legend of Zelda clone, which in my book is great. (LOZ is my fave game series). Might just have to download the original Neutopia when I finish the sequel (backwards, I know, but I went for the updated graphics and controls for my $6).

The Japanese Mario 2 is very nice. You can't argue with the original Mario Bros. graphics & music, and when you make new, more challenging levels as well as having Mario and Luigi play differently (Mario stops on a dime, Luigi slides a little but jumps higher). The subtle changes are a good way to make an old game feel new. Made it to level 2-1 before falling to my death several times and getting the "Game Over" screen.

And now we come to Super Star Wars. Never owned the game (maybe rented it once) but I did own Super Empire Strikes Back. Holy crap I forgot how incredibly BRUTAL these games were. They're fun to play, but damn. Haven't passed level two yet, as every time I turn around, Luke is getting shot by a Jawa or randomly falling into lava pits (which somehow seems to be inside a Sandcrawler). However, it's worth the $8.

All in all, 4 games for $23 (not counting the $90 Wii Fit purchase). Not too shabby.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Just got Batman: Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition yesterday. Haven't played it yet, but trying to prevent my brother from either playing it himself or downloading the additional content from PSN.

Will also get Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Halo 3: ODST this month, as well as preorder WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2010 and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves this month.
Destruction is my specialty
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

This week is a rock band week for me. Just got the Classic rock track pack. It's pretty great and Bad to the Bone almost makes worth the $30 alone. It's 20 track set-list includes
1-2.Boston: Peace of Mind/Rock and roll band
3-4.Dead Kennedys: Califorina Uber eyes/ Holiday in cambodia
5.Free: All right now
6.George Thorgood: Bad to the Bone
7.The James gang: Funk #49
8. Jethro tull: Hymn 43
9.Lenny Kravitz: Let love rule
10.Pat Benatar: Hit me with your best shot
11-12.The Police: Can't stand losing you/Truth hits Everybody
13-14.Rush: Closer to the Heart/Red Barchetta
15.Siouxsie&Thebanshees: Kiss them for me
16-17Steve Miller Band: take the money and run/ The Joker
18. The stone roses: love spreads
19-20.The WHO: Baba O'Riley/Behind blue eyes
If your have Xbox LIVE or PSN account then this is point less, because you can get them about 50% cheaper there. But here you get 250 more achievement points so it kinda evens out. It's a buy if your an achievement whore or if you don't have live or PSN. You can also play it by it's self without rockband it's a stand alone game. Theres a code that lets you copy the songs over to your harddrive to use in rockband 1+2, a nice little touch if you ask me.

One game can't make it a rockband week can it? I didn't think so. this brings me to two days in the future. 9.9.09 The british invasion will begin on my 360.
I've got it preorder and plan to get the stage kit to go with it. I got a crisp $100 bill in my wallet and I know how to use it. I've skipped on so many games like Batman, and believe me it was hard. But I think The Beatles: Rock band will be worth every cent.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Just nabbed Halo 3 ODST. BAM said the lady.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Me too, ODST.:up: