[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Because Capcom owns my soul(and I'm a sucker for new technology) I picked up a 3DS, all so I can get the new Resident Evil game when it comes out for it. I would have gotten RE: Mercenaries as well, but they were out of copies. I got Driver: Renegade instead. And after a few hours of playing it..... I should have gotten Starfox, rather than Driver. It was my own curiousity, really. Never played a Driver game before. The closest I'd come was the demo for Driver 2. I figured it was sort of a GTA clone, but no, all you do is drive around, drive into things, all the while your 'character' is trying to drive you nuts by saying the same things over and over again.

It's not even that pretty.

The 3DS itself is kind of cool, though. You can't watch YouTube on it, but you can watch Netflix.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I finally got a chance to look at a 3DS in a store, and it just looked blurry to me. I know you can adjust the depth of the 3D, but no matter where I put it, it just looked like a double image. Do you have to relax your eyes to make it work? Wouldn't that give you a headache after a while?
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Notabot wrote: Wouldn't that give you a headache after a while?
Yes. I don't own a 3DS yet, mostly because there aren't many games out I want to play on it.

I didn't know MvC3 had an ultimate version coming out, but it comes as no surprise given the amount of times capcom has done this with the Street Fighter (and street fighteresque) games. I held out for Super Street Fighter 4 only for them to go and release Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition. It's almost as bad as the Street Fighter 2 days. I'll note that, despite my complaints, I will eventually pick up Hyper Super Street Fighter 4 Final Complete
Arcade Console Mega Version (only to then have to buy the next variation after that), and MvC3 Ultimate, because much like Heinrad I found myself on the losing end of a faustian deal with Capcom. Good Job I got MvC3 cheap, really.
By the way, saw the trailer for Resident Evil Operation Raccon City. It told me nothing at all about the game, but still, I'm excited.
Loganprime84

Post by Loganprime84 »

i got mvc3 for 19 cents!!!lmao.my girl took a whole bunch of games to trade in.and brought me back the game AND the money.that was a good day.at least ult mvc3 will have a cheaper price.40 i believe.now i just have to learn to play it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It hasn't given me a headache yet. For the 3D to work, you have to hold it in just the right position 10 to 14 inches away from your face. Then don't move it. At all.

Which, as you can imagine, makes game playing kind of hard. I'm stuck on stage 4 of Driver at the moment. Taking it out of 3D hasn't helped much.

It works, it's pretty cool...... but I wouldn't have gotten the system if they hadn't done the price drop. It's not that different from the DSi, just slightly better graphics. Although the 3D videos the thing will download are cool. I just wish it would let me save the ones I want to keep.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

The headache thing affects some worse than others. Somewhat perversely, the better your eyes are, the more chance you have of suffering. Something to do with weaker eyes not straining to adjust as much, or something. To be honest, that's half remembered info from an article I read somewhere. 3D always gives me headaches after an hour or so.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Recently bought the special edition of Resistance 3 on Ps3 as well as the limited edition of Dead Island for X360, next up is Gears Of War 3.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Time to test the 3DS for region compatibility......

The good news: It doesn't appear to be region locked.

The bad news: It doesn't translate out of Japanese. Ah, well.

According to what I read for the 3D setup, when you've got the 3D on, it sends out an image specific for the left eye and the right eye(which is why it goes all funny if you move it any. Your eyes aren't moving to compensate). I could see it causing a headache after a while.

I've seen gameplay footage for Dead Island. How good is the game?

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Doesn't translate what out of Japanese? The consoles menus and stuff? Or do you mean the games?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The games. I've got the Lupin the Third DS game. If it had an option to translate the text in the game into English, I'd be thrilled.

On the new game(and not so new game) front, I got Starfox 3D. Dead or Alive Dimensions, and RE: Mercenaries for it as well as downloading the first Mega man Game Boy game to use on the virtual console. If they can make all these other old games into 3D, why not Mega Man?

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Ah, yeah, the Japanese don't usually care about language functionality. Most DVDs over here don't have any subtitles except Japanese. Anime sometimes has an alternate (but very expensive) "international" release, which usually just means it has English subtitles.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I don't mind the lack of subs on the audio(I'm slowly teaching myself to speak Japanese, but sentence structure is throwing me for a loop), but the kanji on the puzzles is driving me nuts.

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I tend to keep to English puzzle games as much as possible. I'll make an exception for One Piece (which I really want on 3DS, I saw it at a friend's the other day), but yeah, trying to work out puzzles in anything other than your native tongue is a challenge. Japanese sentence structure is a pig. For teaching yourself Japanese the "Genki" text books are very good for low level self-study.

Somewhat more on topic. I bought Limbo on PSN (XBLA has had it for ages). It's fantastic.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I'm like that with the Lupin games. If I knew how to do it, I'd mod my PS2 and get the other Lupin games they put out for it.

What's Limbo?

Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

Not a video game per se, but I plan on getting an A/V cable for my old Sega Genesis so it will work on my TV.
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Limbo's a puzzle platformer. It's quite minimal but very involving. Really reminds me of Another World, if you ever played that. It's monochrome, and looks lovely for it.

Depending on what PS2 you have fixing it up to play imports can be quite easy. These days, a second hand Japanese PS2 probably wouldn't set you back all that much either.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Bought Gears Of War 3 Limited Edition (X360) as well as Warhammer 40k Bolter Edition (PS3) last Wednesday.
Sunstreaker2

Post by Sunstreaker2 »

I didn't buy them, but my aunt let me walk off with seven of her Sega Genesis games.

Golden Axe, Mortal Kombat II, the red cartridge of Maximum Carnage, Samurai Shodown, Strider, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, and Batman: Revenge of the Joker.

Probably should have taken The Adventures of Batman and Robin too...
No longer looking for RID Dreadwind, but I still need Smokejumper. I'm also in need of Mammoth Nemesis Prime's tail piece, as my figure lacks it. Send me a PM.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Grabbed the PS3 Steelbook edition of Batman Arkham City on Wednesday, while waiting on the Collectors edition of the same game, I got a third copy of the game free of charge because the Collectors edition has been delayed and I probably won't get it until next week.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

X-Men: Destiny for PS3.

Now fingers crossed that I'll manage to wrest it off the Scraplets!