[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Re: [The video game thread]

Post by ganon578 »

Hound wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:08 pm Super Mario 3D All-Stars!
Same!

Though I've only played through some of Sunshine and a tiny bit of 64 so far.
Hound

Post by Hound »

ganon578 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:55 pm
Hound wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:08 pm Super Mario 3D All-Stars!
Same!

Though I've only played through some of Sunshine and a tiny bit of 64 so far.
I've put in a fair amount of time and have got 20 Stars in Mario 64 so far. I've only played a little bit of Sunshine and Galaxy mainly because I kind of want to finish them in order but after about a half hour of playing Galaxy I'm sure now that it is my favourite Mario game that I've played so far and I have played Odyssey.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Hound wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:14 am I've put in a fair amount of time and have got 20 Stars in Mario 64 so far. I've only played a little bit of Sunshine and Galaxy mainly because I kind of want to finish them in order but after about a half hour of playing Galaxy I'm sure now that it is my favourite Mario game that I've played so far and I have played Odyssey.
Galaxy was one of my favorites from the Wii era. I thoroughly enjoyed it at the time, and I might have gone on a quest to get all the stars. Can't quite remember. I haven't played it on All-Stars yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the controls have changed when in handheld mode.

On a side note, I was playing Sunshine last night and realized how poor the camera control can be at times. Maybe I'm just out of touch with the system at this point. Oh well, it's still fun.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Super Mario galaxy is one of my favourite games of all time it's just a shame they dropped the ball, for me at least, with galaxy 2. Galaxy felt like a Mario game; great fun and full of simple excitement and intriguing mechanics.

Sunshine was a broken mess when it came out originally with a horrible camera system that made one part virtually impossible to complete (it was climbing up the back of something but the camera would snap in front of the obstacle with no way to move it) which is a real shame because up to that point I really enjoyed the games and its presentation.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've started on Resident Evil 0 and have gotten past the initial train section, I've had a couple of false starts mostly because I had forgotten how to play the series.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Because I like to stay ahead of the gaming curve....

Spider-Man on the PS4. Saw it at the used game store, and figured "Why not?" And the game is a lot of fun so far. That being said, at the rate it's dropping side missions on me, I understand why Spidey's always so moody. And nothing against Tom Holland, but I'm glad that the Peter Parker character model revamp is apparently only going to be on the PS5.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Being a Playstation Vita owner, I have managed to amass quite a sizable, for me at least, collection of games, usually by cherry picking from GameStop(although that resource is drying up rapidly), and one thing I've started doing is getting games from Japan. While I still haven't gotten the one I really want to get(Macross Delta. Not because it's horribly expensive, but because only half the game is on the cart. The rest of it is DLC. It's free, but I don't know if a US PSN account will be able to download Japanese PSN DLC). I was watching a video last week about some underrated RPGs released for the Vita, and of the four on the list, I had, by sheer chance, picked up three of them. The fourth one was a Japanese exclusive, and since the Vita isn't region locked, I figured I'd get the fourth game on the list.

Genkai tokki Seven Pirates- You don't need to read or speak Japanese to be able to play it, and I gather you can figure out what's going on just by playing. Which makes it far easier to play than Tecmo's Deception IV, and it seems to just be a lot of silly fun. Which is what the world needs more of right now.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Heinrad wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:10 am While I still haven't gotten the one I really want to get(Macross Delta. Not because it's horribly expensive, but because only half the game is on the cart. The rest of it is DLC. It's free, but I don't know if a US PSN account will be able to download Japanese PSN DLC).
Not sure how helpful this is but due to my own research on a similar matter, I know that on a PS3 you could create a spare profile with the location set for Japan so you could access the Japanese PSN store and download games from there. Maybe something similar could be done on a Vita.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Cool. I know you can download Vita games onto the PS3 and then transfer them to your system, as well as PSP games.

Weird thing about that. I've never been able to get Thexder Neo installed on my Vita.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Resident Evil 3 Remake.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

35th Anniversary Mario Game & Watch

Nice little device with a great screen. A bit cramped in my hands since it's small, but it travels nicely. It only has SMB & the Japanese version of SMB2 plus the Game & Watch game Ball. Seems like they could have also squeezed in SMB2 from the US and SMB3, but it's still pretty nice. The clock is pretty decent as well, but I don't think it's terribly useful. Definitely a collector's device.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It took long enough to get here....

Limited Run Games #72: Shantae and the Seven Sirens for the Switch - At least, I think it’s 72. Maybe 74? Either way, it’s the deluxe edition. A huge box, pack of collector cards, poster, regular case, steel book case, soundtrack, collector’s card, instruction manual, a reproduction Game Boy Color cart(I think to honor the original game)and the cart itself. And I love the game. It’s a lot of fun.

It’s also probably the last game I’m going to get from Limited Run. Don’t get me wrong, they throw in some pretty cool extras, and while I was pretty peeved at having to buy a case for the soundtrack(I read it wrong, what I wound up getting was a plastic sleeve to put the soundtrack cd case in), it was the fact that I had to pay for the box they shipped it to me in. That beautiful outer box would have been mangled by the sorting machines otherwise.
StoneCold Skywarp

PS5

That is all
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:41 pm PS5

That is all
Do you like it? I hear the load times are ridiculously quick. I plan on getting one in the next year or so, when I scrabble the cash together and stores actually have reliable stock around. Not in a rush since I am still really enjoying the PS4.

I also hear the controller is fantastic. I wasn't a fan of the PS2/PS3 dualshock, but really love the PS4 controller.

Also nabbed Star Wars: Squadrons (physical disc) on Black Friday sale. Haven't played it yet, but looking forward to it.

PSN had a nice sale going as well, so I also bought Star Wars: Fallen Order and DOOM: Eternal. I've played a bit of both here and there, but haven't had much time to invest. They're both really good though, so I'm looking forward to when things calm down a bit and I can get some game time in.
StoneCold Skywarp

ganon578 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:45 pm

Do you like it? I hear the load times are ridiculously quick. I plan on getting one in the next year or so, when I scrabble the cash together and stores actually have reliable stock around. Not in a rush since I am still really enjoying the PS4.

I also hear the controller is fantastic. I wasn't a fan of the PS2/PS3 dualshock, but really love the PS4 controller.
My experience with it so far have been overwhelmingly positive, I got the digital version so I'll be more cautious over my purchases but loading times are super impressive overall. Even loading ps4 titles from an external hard drive seems faster than the ps4 loading the same game from the internal drive.

The controller is nothing short of incredible. When I got ps:vr I was stunned at its abilities and application. I've only played Astro's Playroom to take advantage of the controller but it demonstrates it so flawlessly that I'd say the ps5 controller is a bigger innovation than ps:vr.
The adaptive triggers, haptic feedback and enhanced audio combine so well it really engrosses you in the experience that you're seeing on the screen.
It really has to be tried to be appreciated.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Have they patched the whole console in rest mode getting bricked?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:03 am Have they patched the whole console in rest mode getting bricked?
waves hand in air in front of face

"We don't need a PS5."

:halo:

I want to play Among Us. Not right now, but at some point. Anyone else?
Computron

Post by Computron »

Anyone got a Quest 2.. I'm just debating whether or not to get one so would like some feedback on yay or nay
StoneCold Skywarp

Hound wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:03 am Have they patched the whole console in rest mode getting bricked?
Touch wood, I've not had any problems with it. There's been a couple of patches released in Sony's typical style that contained "bug fixes and updates" so we can but hope.
Sades wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 am
waves hand in air in front of face

"We don't need a PS5."

:halo:

I want to play Among Us. Not right now, but at some point. Anyone else?
I've played it a little with randoms on my phone (cos it's free) needs a big group for it to be decent (at least 7)