[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Heinrad wrote:Decided to get myself The Dark Knight Rises and The Bard's Tale pack for the iPad. Bard's Tale is downloading(and may take awhile), TDKR is a lot of fun so far.

Also got The Respawnables.
TDKR is a bit clunky on an iPhone but I can see how it would work well on an iPad. If you like that I'd recommend giving Ultimate Spider-Man a look at some point. (Amazing Spider-Man is almost Identical to TDKR, by the by)
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Got Kirby Return to Dreamland for kids to play with. Thought they will have fun with it.Turned out I myself enjoy it a lot, too.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

On Boxing Day I bought Doom 3 BFG Edition on the X360.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I'll have to take a look for Ultimate Spider-Man, thanks Anglo.

Got the first part of Telltale Games' The Walking Dead and am downloading the Stargate game for the iPad. The pics for it look good, but I have no idea how well the game actually works. Walking Dead is great, although I can't help thinking either it didn't translate from the PC/Console platform well, or it's a bit much for this thing's processors. It's kind of choppy at points.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I'm quite into iPhone/Pad games but with so much available it can be a little hard to find the gems. Obviously Infinity Blade I and II, there's a remastered edition of Dizzy Prince of The Yolkfolk (doesn't take long to finish but it's great fun). Monster Hunter is also good (I heard it looks a bit unpolished on iPad though. Oh, and anyone who plays iOS games needs to play Jetpack Joyride.

I finally caved and got myself PS plus (it was thrity quid on sale). We'll see how that pans out value-wise over the course of the year.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

This is kinda off topic but the online community on the wii u is great ive yet to see any trash talk or hate mail like you get with psn and live. I normally hate gamechat but i think i could stand it on the wii u, ive yet to meet a little kid. Mostly its 20-40 year olds. And everyone so nice, as a microsoft fanboy i wish that live was like this but sadly it is not...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

angloconvoy wrote:I'm quite into iPhone/Pad games but with so much available it can be a little hard to find the gems. Obviously Infinity Blade I and II, there's a remastered edition of Dizzy Prince of The Yolkfolk (doesn't take long to finish but it's great fun). Monster Hunter is also good (I heard it looks a bit unpolished on iPad though. Oh, and anyone who plays iOS games needs to play Jetpack Joyride..
I've noticed that with some of the older iOS games. They're designed specifically for the iPod/iPhone's screen dimensions, and enlarging them doesn't do them any justice. A few it helped. I've beaten Army of Darkness: Defense, and managed to actually get somewhere in the Evil Dead game, but Terminator: Salvation looks grainy and runs too fast.

The Stargate Command app is both frustrating and relaxing. Frustrating in that the virtual tour of the SGC crashes just as it starts, and relaxing in that whacking golf balls through a wormhole event horizon is surprisingly calming.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Speaking of iOS movie/TV tie-ins Predators is fairly decent. I think there's a free Lite version you can try too.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Doesn't look like they've got the Lite version anymore. A friend of mine suggested Battlebear Royale, and I'm poking through the fps apps right now.

Are all of the apps on the app store universal, or are there differences between countries?

angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

They aren't all universal. Most are or at least will update the language based on your phone's settings but some aren't. For exmaple, Avengrs Initiative straight up isn't available in my region (no idea why), and GTA: Chinatown Wars is only available in Japanese, no English version on the store. Mostly just seems to be the really big studios or IPs that suffer from this though.

Yet to find a particularly good fps for the platform, standard controls don't seem to lend themselves to a particularly enjoyable experience.

Oh, for a bit of dumb fun, Zombie Gunship is worth a look. It's a bit like the drone sections of Modern Warfare.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Um.... not sure how to say this but i picked up a copy E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600 today for get this, Two BUCKS!!!! was in my local mall with some buds cause were starting a Youtube channel and we were scouting this classic game store for some N64 stuff and bam! there she was. they had 7 copies of E.T. but most were all faded and the labels were pelling off but two were perfect and i bought one as well as one of my friends. cause how often will you get that chance? I can now say i own the worst game ever made! :lol:
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Got LA Noire: complete edition as a gift from my sister yesterday.

I'm impressed so far, though everything points to me taking 5 hours for each interrogation scene.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Um.... not sure how to say this but i picked up a copy E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600 today for get this, Two BUCKS!!!! was in my local mall with some buds cause were starting a Youtube channel and we were scouting this classic game store for some N64 stuff and bam! there she was. they had 7 copies of E.T. but most were all faded and the labels were pelling off but two were perfect and i bought one as well as one of my friends. cause how often will you get that chance? I can now say i own the worst game ever made! :lol:
Not sure if that one is the worst ever made. Sure, it's blamed for the Great Video Game Crash of 1983, but I think the title of worst game ever made can go to Superman 64.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Custer's Revenge might beat both of those in both quality and content. :(

I started playing Skyrim (which I got for Christmas much to my surprise!) and my first playthrough refused to save and crashed out on me. It was a funny end, though. I saw someone in the distance and wondered if he was friendly. Turns out it was a giant who thwomped me once with his club, which bounced me about 200 feet up in the air. I landed on some rocks and lay there twitching and unable to move for about 3 minutes before I officially decided something was wrong. :) My second try is working nicely, and I'm now having fun.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Well if you agree with me or not the history behind the game was worth the price anyway. Theres youtube videos of people microwaving it cause they hated it so much, didnt see one similar for either one of those from a quick search, just sayng. I think you can agree with me its certainly one of the most infamous games ever made.

Also today my copy of Darksiders 2 for wii u came in today, and why i never got this for 360 i have no idea.! Its god of war mets zelda and it works so amazingly well. To anyone who likes music scores, this one is amazing! when you get in a boss fight and those big loud brass notes blare its gets you pumped and when your exploring, the woodwinds and chilling voices are better than skyrim and just calms you down. But the camera controles are a little slow for my tastes and the game barely shows you what to do like use your wrath moves, on other versions it pauses the game and brings up a raidial menu on screen, on wii u it shows up on the gamepad... over your inventory. took me a full hour to figure out what to do. Also the dodge feature is kinda hit and miss half the time it does it half the time death just sits there like an idiot. And i have yet to figure out how to use the pro contoller it says it supported but theres no menu option for it and when i turn it the onlything i can use it for is navigating the menus. The game aslo likes to crash when you hit the home button. But overall id recomend but not on wii u, unless you need something to play on it or getting the free dlc means that much to you.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I got the HD collection of Zone Of The Enders. However, I thought it would come with a demo of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Oh well, that demo is coming to the PSN Store soon anyway I think.
Destruction is my specialty
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Mass Effect Trilogy for the PS3
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Picked up epic mickey 2 for wii u and... it sucks. :/ I shouldve gotten transformers prime. Seriously dont buy this game. its broken in so many ways.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Darksiders was a lot of fun so I will get around to 2 eventually. Mass Effect Trilogy is also on my wishlist. I've been wanting to give it a go for years but never gotten around to any of them.

PS plus has Bioshock 2 for free at the mo, so I gave that a go today. It's...another FPS. So, does it pick up as it goes on or amI wasting my time. It's not bad by any stretch, I think I've just reached saturation. Been trying to finish Borderlands off recently but my god is the DLC padded out just to claim it's X hours of extra gameplay. What's worse is that with the DLC, if you exit out and restart, you don't start at the last save point, no, you go back to the DLC's starting point. So you need a good few hours free to do it in one playthrough or you have to keep retreading old ground (the missions often force you to do that anyway). Still, it would appear I've more or less done all of them except for Roxxy's Underdome. Which I played a bit and hated.
I'm looking forward to discovering the next game I can really get lost in. Feel like it's been a while. Arkham City came close though.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yesterday in the Christmas sales I picked up DJ Hero 1 & 2, with the decks... all of it new and boxed for a tenner. Three hours later after lugging it around town I returned the lot. It was something for my niece as a laugh but she's at that age where it's just not the thing, plus the DJ Hero craze was about two years ago...

I wanted to keep it myself because I love rhythm-action games, my favourite being Elite Beat Agents on the DS... but I've got too many games myself and the decks will just be another lump of plastic taking up space.