[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Notabot wrote:I'm planning on taking the leap and becoming a PS3 owner with the Black Friday bundles. If I play it on a regular old non-HD TV, are the graphics just not as good, or will it cause me other problems? And any recommendations for decent quality 2nd controllers that aren't crazy expensive?
There shouldn't be any problems unless your TV doesn't have a connection that works with the cables they have packed in the box. For example, if you're still using those UHF/VHF screws (anyone remember those?), the cable for that doesn't come with the system.

As for second controllers, I can't remember where, but I know I saw official Sony branded ones in some store's Black Friday ads (might've been Gamestop now that I think about it). I would recommend getting the official controllers if you can, because I'm pretty sure they're the only type that connects via Bluetooth. Anything else is going to have to have a usb dongle and also won't be able to turn the system on like the first party controllers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 came in the mail on Monday or something. And I also got Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi as well.
Destruction is my specialty
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Walmart sold out of the PS3 bundle I had my heart set on (I thought they started at midnight, but apparently this one started selling them at 10), but I did snag Little Big Planet for $15 working on the assumption that there would be plenty PS3 Black Friday bundles available online. Turns out that was a bit of a bad assumption. :(

However, after staying up until 2:30 and hitting refresh every 30 seconds or so, I did get one into my cart from Amazon. :) And since I had free shipping and they had some games on sale, I also ordered Tekken 6 and Soul Caliber 4. It's all supposed to be here by next Friday! Until then, I'll just thoroughly read the LBP manual. VERY thoroughly!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Two stellar pick-ups this last week:

After a week long trip to Michigan, was finally able to pick up my reserved limited edition copy of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This game is definitely worthy of all the critical praise it has gotten, and it constantly reminds me why I love playing Zelda games in the first place. The limited edition gold Wii remote is also very nice, though I wish the buttons were done in gold instead of white. Still training myself not to 'waggle' in this game (old habit from Twilight Princess).

During the trip out to Michigan I stopped by my favorite local used game store and picked up The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX for the GBC (to play on my GB Player on the GC). Can't wait to revisit this title again!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Last Sunday I bought WWE '12, Tekken Hybrid and the Dawn Of War 2 Complete Collection, which has Dawn Of War 2 and the expansion packs Chaos Rising and Retribution.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I got my PS3 (I've got so much to learn on what it can do) with Little Big Planet 2 and Ratchet and Clank All Four One. I also picked up LBP 1, Tekken 6, and Soul Caliber IV. When I first started Tekken 6, I accidentally went to story mode thinking arcade mode. It was interesting, but reading tiny subtitles for over half an hour isn't the most exciting way to start a video game.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound bought me Harvest Moon DS like a month ago, because I'd been looking for it for awhile. FARMING IS AWESOME.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Bought X-men: Destiny on Black Friday. Not a bad game; it just feels like there were some things that could have been developed more thoroughly. I will say that I was happy to see a villain other than Magneto.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Grabbed Sonic Colours Collectors Edition on the Wii as well as Fallout 3: Game Of The Year Edition which includes all of the DLC like Operation: Anchorage and Mothership Zeta.

I'm also considering the PS3 Tomb Raider Collection.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 should be here whenever the postal system decides to stop screwing around.
frankfurt
Protoform

Post by frankfurt »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:List your newest games here. Please put the system name behide the game title.

Ex. Ghostbusters: The video game, with Downloadable Ghostbusters2 flight suit./ Xbox 360.

If there is already a thread about this please feel free to move it I couldn't find one.
Definitely ordering Skyrim tomorrow. For my new Toshiba Satellite. I've only heard good things about it...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Does anyone else play Little Big Planet 1? Does anyone else find that it gets a little hiccup now and then and freezes for just a second? I thought that was one of the advantages of a PS3 over a PC, that that's not supposed to happen. And the install times for new games... I wasn't expecting that either. Kind of seems more like a gaming PC than the previous PlayStations did.
And does playing online with strangers ever become fun, or is it always that slow and irritating?
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Got Skyrim for the 360, already a level 13 Argonian in the Dark brotherhood, The Leigion and the companions
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Sades

Post by Sades »

Selkadoom wrote:Skyrim
WANT
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Is Skyrim very different from Oblivion, or just different location/spells/graphics/etc? I enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion, but not sure if I want to get involved in another one if it's essentially the same but prettier.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

Well, I'm getting Skyrim for christmas! I saw it when I was hiding presents from the people who were trying to hide that from me. But it's for PS3. Oh, yeah, I'm getting one of those, too.
I've been reading that the console versions, esp. PS3, are glitchy and sometimes unplayable. Anyone here have problems with it?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Got the Tomb Raider HD Collection cheap!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Notabot wrote:Is Skyrim very different from Oblivion, or just different location/spells/graphics/etc? I enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion, but not sure if I want to get involved in another one if it's essentially the same but prettier.
Don't quite know yet... will let you know. If I don't get it for Christmas, I'm buying it for myself. :D The 360 version anyway...

I wish I had a PC. then I could experience glitches like this.

This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Got Arkham City for Christmas, enjoying it immensely. And thank Grud for Zsazz, because his merry little phone calls are keepiimg me from screaming at Mr. Freeze and his Fortress of Fortitude aka the old GCPD building.

Catwoman's a lot of fun, too.

EDIT: Also downloaded the Voltron game from the Playstation store.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I've bought far too many games these last couple of months, with another couple of games this week with Dead Rising: Off The Record and Elder Scrolls: Skyrim.