What is your favorite brand of beer and/or liquor?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

What is your favorite brand of beer and/or liquor?

Post by Ackula »

Simple question really. What brand do you simply love, and why?

For me, with beer it comes down to one brewery and a couple of their choices for beer. My number one choice is Arrogant Bastard Ale, made by Stone brewery. The reasoning behind it is quite simple, it taste absolutely amazing! A nice thick and dark strong American Ale, with a decent alcohol content of 7.2%, and a very stout bitter-sweet hoppy taste.

As a close second I would choose Stone IPA, from the same microbrewery. This is the best India Pale Ale I have come across, with a very citrus like aroma and hops flavor. With a decent alcohol content of 6.9% and a 77 IBU rating, nice bitter bite.

For liquor, I always go with Jack Daniels, the finest whiskey there is. I love the taste when it is straight up on the rocks, or just swigged right out of the bottle with a nice coke chaser. From time to time I will mix it with 50% Coke for easy sipping, but usually straight is the way for me.

As a close second I tend to go with Jagermeister. None of the trendy new stuff like Jager Bombs either, just a nice straight shot of Jager after it has sat in a freezer for a day or so. Love the taste, and the slightly uplifting effect the alcohol has, which is masked ever so well under the licorice taste.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Probably the best beer I've ever had was Dogfish Head Red & White but it's extremely expensive so I've only ever gotten it once. If I had to say my favorite beer that I drink often it would be Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. It's a nice, smooth sweet tasting beer.

As for liquor I don't really have a specific kind that is my favorite. I don't often drink it straight or take shots. I don't really drink alcohol just to get drunk so I want something I'll enjoy the taste of. My favorite cocktail is a Bloody Mary so vodka, I guess...?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Hound wrote:I don't really drink alcohol just to get drunk so I want something I'll enjoy the taste of.
I'm starting to finally get there myself. I've always hated beer with a passion until very recently. The Stone brewery really changed my mind. I've tried lots of different beer in my days, but theirs was the first I could really appreciate for the taste. It too is a bit expensive too though, so that is a deterrent. Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA are both around $4 a bottle.

From what I've heard/read about Dogfish Head, I'm intrigued and would really like to try a bottle myself. What sort of prices does it usually go for?
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Sam Adams Summer Ale is my favorite beer hands down.

I've always been fond of Smirnoff vodka, and Jack Danials for liquor.

I'm also very fond of Hakusuru Sake.
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore, Balvenie
(single malt scotches)
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Overall I prefer lager, I like to pop down to the offy with my Dad and see what new or different stuff they've got in, it can be a bit hit and miss but hey nothing ventured nothing gained. I've become fond of Hinano Tahiti Beer as it's nice, refreshing and summery. Most beer is nice on a hot day but that is especially welcoming.
Along the same lines I like Carib lager from Trinidad & Tobago as thats also very refreshing and thirst quenching. But for everyday down the pub drinking I go for Kronenburg.

Also been to a couple of ale festivals this year but I can never remember the names of the ones I like and I dont feel like digging out my tasting sheet, although if you get the chance try Dark Star Esspresso Beer it's brewed from coffee beans and I quite like it but not many others do.

I don't usually drink spirits unless I'm at a club but I'm in no mood to be adventurous in that environment so I stick to Vodka and Red Bull or Yeger-Bombs.

Wine, Port= Good:up:
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Depends on my mood.
Sometimes I like Guiness much.
With some Bailey's Creme

I've got some Sam Adam's Summer Ale in the fridge right now.
I sometimes get in the mood for a Mike's Hard Lime.
Jack Daniels Lynchburg Lemonade tastes like Lemon Pledge though.
Civ

Post by Civ »

When I do drink, I prefer wine. Usually, I like the red and white wines, particularly the Chaddsford brand.
skywarp408
Protoform

Post by skywarp408 »

Any malt liquor. :D
Zeeks

Post by Zeeks »

For beer, I prefer Budweiser, but I've really been digging Blue Moon, and that new Bud Light Lime, even though I can't stand Bud Light. Also enjoy Corona.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"...Working on a specimen the size of Angel is actually easier in many ways."
Mac scoffs. "Easier almost ate me a few days ago."-
Steve Alten, Meg: Hell's Aquarium
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Zeeks wrote:For beer, I prefer Budweiser, but I've really been digging Blue Moon, and that new Bud Light Lime, even though I can't stand Bud Light. Also enjoy Corona.
My condolences. :nonono:
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

Hound wrote:I don't really drink alcohol just to get drunk so I want something I'll enjoy the taste of.
Who says you can't enjoy doing both? :)

Beer: Newcastle Brown Ale
Liquor: Patron Silver or Don Julio Silver (silver tequila is the best hands down)
Mixer: Vodka. You can mix it with just about anything.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron wrote: Mixer: Vodka. You can mix it with just about anything.
I used to mix it with vodka until some erm... unpleasentness.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

Never did the alcohol thing until a couple months ago. I'm a lot like Hound - I don't drink to get drunk (never have actually; don't see the appeal), so I prefer something tasty. Dark beers do the job. I'm a big fan of Kilt Lifter and Moose Drool, and Sierra Nevada's all right if a bit stinky. Newcastle isn't bad either. Guinness works in a pinch since just about everybody has it, although I prefer Old 38 and the local micro oatmeal stout. If anybody's ever visiting Tucson, make sure to stop by the Barrio Brewery. Good stuff.

Haven't tried liquor. Doesn't fit my MO.

I'm not opposed to wine, but everything I've been exposed to so far tastes like chemicals. But I hear southern Arizona has plenty of good wineries. Anybody ever been?
Flec's selling a lot of RID, Armada, and Energon, and a few G1 toys. 'S all I'm sayin'.
The TFArchive RPG - "the most popular part of the site[!]" - Skywarp. Darn tootin'.
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

When it comes to more everyday stuff used for sitting around at home BSing with friends, it's usually Bud Light for me. Coors Light is okay too.

At a more social thing, like an actual party or bar, I prefer either Rolling Rock or Moose Head for beer. Definitely the latter if I can actually find it.

I only like drinking liquor if the intention is to get completely 'faced! So...Bacardi 151 mixed with just enough Doctor Pepper to give it a tolerable taste. The only time I drink Dr. Pepper, btw...

Actually, I don't really drink that often anymore. I probably should. If you can handle it okay it's some good fun!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Reflector wrote:Dark beers do the job. I'm a big fan of Kilt Lifter and Moose Drool, and Sierra Nevada's all right if a bit stinky. Newcastle isn't bad either. Guinness works in a pinch since just about everybody has it, although I prefer Old 38 and the local micro oatmeal stout.

I'm not opposed to wine, but everything I've been exposed to so far tastes like chemicals. But I hear southern Arizona has plenty of good wineries. Anybody ever been?
Dark beers...well you should really try Arrogant Bastard Ale, I think you'll like it. As for wine, the only wine I can stand, and like, is of the homemade variety from back home in the south. Muscadine wine is a favorite.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Is liquor a poncy colonial way of saying spirits?

Rum. Vodka. More rum. It's all good, baby. Havana Club for the win. Tastes like home.
S_Windell wrote:Bud Light
There's a light version of Bud? What's the point of that then? And, perhaps more importantly, how is it even possible?
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Halfshell wrote:Is liquor a poncy colonial way of saying spirits?
There's a light version of Bud? What's the point of that then? And, perhaps more importantly, how is it even possible?
You could get it over here for a while back when I was in uni. Not sure if it's still available, or whether it's died a richly deserved death. Apparently it's made by watering down the piss of a newborn baby.

And yeah, liquor is spirits as I understand it, and not the same as liqueur.

Anyway, my preferences are:

Brains SA, SA Gold and pretty much any 'Badger' beer for actual beer.

San Miguel or Nastro for lager.

Sambuca (for a shot) or JD (with coke) for spirits. I also like straight vodka with ice. Slightly weird I know, but there we go.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Halfshell wrote:There's a light version of Bud? What's the point of that then? And, perhaps more importantly, how is it even possible?
Heh...

But, yes, there is. It honestly doesn't pack much of a buzz but is one of the best tasting, midrange priced American beers. (Yes, boo...hiss, American "beer." :noevil:) Funnily enough, I don't think it tastes anything like regular Budweiser which, imo, tastes like piss smells.

In short, it's decent for kicking back after work without forgetting where you set down your keys. But not good for those nights you don't remember but friends won't let you forget!
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Ah. Yes, I’m on one of my occasional drinking jaunts. Yeah, I’m trying not to only come here drunk, but Saturday night, between work start time and sharing computer right now, really is one of best eimes for me to get hours of time here…

ANYvoo… Honey Brown Lager is “MY beer”. Technically Dundee’s, formerly known as J.W. Dundee’s Honey Brown Lager (as seen on bar taps on Homicide: Life on the Street and Cupid, maybe among others), from the Genesee brewing co, and now imitated by other companies… I didn’t like beer too much when I FIRST started drinking, and Honey B kind of served as my bridge between mixed drinks and beer, and still remains my favorite to this day, when I’ll drink most any beer, and like quite a few. Molson Canadian, Cooors light maong more common beers I’ll drink at restaturant… My grocery store has added an international beer section; I’ve had a few New Zealand Steinlager’s tonight – not bad. Top brews I’ve tried have included Three Philosophers (Belgian-style) and Harp’s…

Liquors: Southern Comfort is my old stand-by – sometimes with lime if I’m at-the-bar…I’ve got some vodka and some rum – what are the best brands of those people would recommend, btw? I also really like Buttershots – that’s just a taste thing, Hound and ‘Flec. Half the power of your average shot or less – like Pucker’s or some Dr. Mcgillicuddy’s (the original’s a ‘lil’ bit stronger); tastes like a butterrum Lifesaver. Definitely recommended as a taste shot…

Jack is the best whiskey? Really? I used to get shots of it as part of a thing at a bar of mine during college/grad school: Saturday night dollar shot specials which rotated between So Co, Jack, and Cuervo. However, later found I didn’t like Cap’n Jack as much as I remembered from then; have been curious about whiskies, though… I remember 151 being pretty harsh – Dr. Pepper’s a good combo with?

Any other nice whiskeys, or other liquors/spirits, people would recommend I add to my cabinet?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]