A small problem with my internet...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Hound

A small problem with my internet...

Post by Hound »

I can't seem to get on this site. I've no problem with any other site. It's the site of my local comic shop and it works, I've gotten on on other computers but not mine. I've run all my spyware and virus scanning stuff, cleaned out all my cookies and registry and still can't get it to load. What the hell? Help...
Civ

Post by Civ »

As a complete shot in the dark, did you somehow block the site? Maybe your firewall (assuming you have one) is set to block it? Have you tried using a different internet search tool? Like IE, Netscape, FireFox or Mozilla?
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Also, try a proxy of some sort. If you need one I have a couple dozen I can link you to.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

My internet has problems as well...no matter how many times I run my antivirus programs, http://www.tfarchive.com keeps getting bogged down by incoherent nonsense attributed to a "Hound." It's baffling.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
burnitall
Protoform

Post by burnitall »

I wonder if Merlin's is still in business.
Hound

Post by Hound »

burnitall wrote:I wonder if Merlin's is still in business.
Not that they're all that much of a comic store but yes they're still around.

I managed to get on through a proxy site but I don't get why I can't just access it like I always had before. It's just been like the last week and I don't understand.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Check your HOSTS file for starters.

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/hosts.htm

And I assume you've tried multiple browsers?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Denyer wrote:And I assume you've tried multiple browsers?
Yeah, I use Firefox and I tried IE, both were unable.

Also, there are three computers in our house here that are connected via a router and none of them are able to access the site.

I looked at that link Denyer. So does that mean that if I were to find the site's address in this HOSTS file that would be why I can't access it? Or is it the other way around? I'm not sure I understand exactly what the HOSTS thing does...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

HOSTS basically lets you rewire site/IP addresses, which is why some people use it to block particular servers. It's not likely to be the problem if none of the machines in your setup work.

Check your router config -- the panel's probably http://192.168.1.1/ or similar, default login details tend to be admin/password but that may differ for your brand. If you can rule out the router, you'll need to go back to your ISP and query with them.