What the Hell is the point of that bit at the end of a ruler?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I knew.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

"A rule has the measurements start from the end, whereas a ruler has a gap between the end and the measurements." although this fact is from Wikipedia and is thus of dubious veracity and just adds to the mystery as i can't find a clear definition which doesn't use the 2 interchangeably

http://www.blundellharling.com/products ... g+Products

They are sold as different products so there must be areason for the difference.

On a tangent at work we have email signatures and on our signatures we have links to our email addresses. An email went round about checking these were set up properly which made me think

Now considering that the only way that you get to see the aforementioned signatures is by having recieved an email in the first place from the person to which the email refers which is more likely someone hitting reply or scrolling to the bottom of the email on clicking on the link.

Has our company lost the plot or do others have a similar policy.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

CounterPunch wrote:One of my teachers at school used to get realy arsey about that, every time someone said ruler he would say "Ruler is someone that sits on a throne, it is called a rule"
Did any smart-alecs fire back with "A rule is a statement that you should obey."?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Halfshell wrote:There's probably a really simple straightforward word for what the things are called that I've just got a mental block over.
The item is called a dossil and retails as such: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/doe ... duct/21976

(Etymology: Dossil \Dos"sil\, noun. [from Old English expression dosil faucet of barrel, Old French dosil, duisil, spigot, Late Latin expression diciculus, ducillus, from the Latin expression ducere to lead, draw. See Duct, Duke.]. (references)

1. A roll of cloth for wiping off the face of a copperplate, leaving the ink in the engraved lines.

2. A small ovoid or cylindrical roil or pledget of lint, for keeping a sore, wound, etc., open; a tent.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913))

Incidentally, deosil means 'clockwise' or 'sunwise'.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

RID Scourge wrote:Did any smart-alecs fire back with "A rule is a statement that you should obey."?
Nah cos the teacher was a dick, and it would have resulted in punishment and lots of shouting
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Blipping back to chippy for a moment......

I've heard the term before, but trust me, it has nothing to do with carpentry or working in a chip shop.

Blipping back to rules and rulers, does this happen often? Wouldn't Drano or something equivalent be less rule consuming?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

optimusskids wrote:On a tangent at work we have email signatures and on our signatures we have links to our email addresses. An email went round about checking these were set up properly which made me think

Now considering that the only way that you get to see the aforementioned signatures is by having recieved an email in the first place from the person to which the email refers which is more likely someone hitting reply or scrolling to the bottom of the email on clicking on the link.

Has our company lost the plot or do others have a similar policy.
We have the same rule at my company as well. I have brought up the daftness of it multiple times, and management can never give me a good answer as to why it is a rule, being that it is horribly redundant.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sixswitch wrote:Aye. The post was a joke - but I actually didn't know that, until I googled it. Bet you did too!
Seems pretty common in the Midlands. Judging by the supplier invoices I spent most of today looking through, I suspect it's because some of them can't actually spell "carpenter".

Search http://www.yell.com/ for "chippy" and it'll give you a choice between "Carpenters & Joiners" and "Fish & Chips".
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Um, Denyer: why, all of a sudden, does your thing speak for itself...?

:D
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Denyer wrote:Search http://www.yell.com/ for "chippy" and it'll give you a choice between "Carpenters & Joiners" and "Fish & Chips".
What? No Chip 'N' Dales? Wish I was as fit as they are. Plus they look quite dapper in their bowties and speedos . . . Yeah. Being a chip 'n' dale would be pretty sweet.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Do you ever think anything you don't post?

Anyway, it's "Chippendales". Chip 'n' Dale are those rat things Disney did, being a pun or play on words. Unless that's what you're after.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Oh, whhy did I read those last two posts.... now I've got an image of Disney drawn chupminks wearing bowties and speedos.......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Cliffjumper wrote:Do you ever think anything you don't post?
Actually I filter out quite a bit. You'd have a field day with what goes unposted.

Didn't know the propper spelling so thanks. Though the important part is that you know what I was going for with the chippendales. :up: