Battlestar Galactica on DVD

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Battlestar Galactica on DVD

Post by Notabot »

After hearing the rave reviews here and seeing bits and pieces, I think I'm going to try to hunt down the BSG series on DVD. I saw that you can get Razor on Ebay for around 5 dollars shipped. Is that pretty standard? Any advice on where to get seasons for a low price, or what I can expect to pay? Anyone have some seasons they're looking to dump for cheap? My wife wouldn't like it all that much (I'm assuming), so I'm pretty limited on my budget.
Any help is appreciated!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Razor isn't standalone, you basically need to have seen up to when it was first broadcast (between season's 3 and 4). It's included on the season 4 boxset so if you get that far into the show that's the best way to get hold of it.

The indervidual release of the first mini series is the best starting point, plus if the situations the same in America as here it should be dirt cheap at this point.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

People should PAY YOU to take Razor off their hands. I bought all of mine at Walmart and Amazon, but you could get the collected set now and it will probably be cheaper than the individual seasons (or half-seasons for two of them) and comes with a Cylon action figure.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:The indervidual release of the first mini series is the best starting point, plus if the situations the same in America as here it should be dirt cheap at this point.
I don't think the individual release is that much cheaper than the Season 1 box set, and the S1 set includes the miniseries (on this side of the pond anyway), so I would try tracking that down instead -- no point in paying for the same thing twice, IMO.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Theres a barebones boxset out here in the uk that includes.... everything, all the eps, no special features or anything tho, just the eps. I have the previous version, which is Pilot/Mini + S1-3 and it cost me £25, as far as I'm aware there is a new edition of it with all the seasons, have a look around, see if you can find it cheap
Notabot

SCORE!

Post by Notabot »

Found the complete series on DVD for $35! Started watching today. Does it get better after the first episode? I wasn't expecting it to be so... campy I guess is the word. The ones I saw on Sci-Fi were a lot more dramatic and darker. Even the camera work is completely different.
I was also surprised to see Lorne Greene! I thought he had died years ago. Anyway, here's hoping it picks up soon.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

He, er, did... I hate to say it, dude, but did you get the right BSG? There was one made in 1979 which is campy and has Face off the A-Team in it, and really isn't all that good, and one made more recently that apparently is (it's a bit light on giant robots cutting things in half, so isn't really in my area).
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:He, er, did... I hate to say it, dude, but did you get the right BSG? There was one made in 1979 which is campy and has Face off the A-Team in it, and really isn't all that good, and one made more recently that apparently is (it's a bit light on giant robots cutting things in half, so isn't really in my area).

The robots may be normal size but there being bugger loads doesn't make up the difference for you?

I also think Notabot might be joshing with us just a little bit. Unless he thinks Dirk Benedict is such an amazing actor he managed a totally convincing sex change before the episodes he saw on Sci-Fi...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

inflatable dalek wrote:The robots may be normal size but there being bugger loads doesn't make up the difference for you?
Nope - quality, not quantity is the way to go. Mental superpowers and stupidly oversized swords also contribute. As a rule of thumb, if a robot's smaller than its' melee weapons, it's not trying hard enough.
I also think Notabot might be joshing with us just a little bit. Unless he thinks Dirk Benedict is such an amazing actor he managed a totally convincing sex change before the episodes he saw on Sci-Fi...
Cliffy got ownz0r3d :(
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Nope - quality, not quantity is the way to go.
Some of the robots look like this:

http://www.bitsofnews.com/images/graphi ... _large.jpg

Others look like this:

http://physicsgeek.mu.nu/archives/Grace_Park.jpg

They might not be able to split a planet in half, but I'm somehow nonplussed.

Oh, that last link might technically be a cast-nature spoiler.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Cliffjumper wrote:He, er, did... I hate to say it, dude, but did you get the right BSG? There was one made in 1979 which is campy and has Face off the A-Team in it, and really isn't all that good, and one made more recently that apparently is (it's a bit light on giant robots cutting things in half, so isn't really in my area).
I was wondering how they got Edward James Olmos to agree to wear the space bear suit for the entire series. ;)

Still hunting.
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:Some of the robots look like this:

http://www.bitsofnews.com/images/graphi ... _large.jpg

Others look like this:

http://physicsgeek.mu.nu/archives/Grace_Park.jpg
But where do they keep their melee weapons?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Sub space/mass shifting :)
Destruction is my specialty
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Wow!

Just... wow.

I think I'm about 2/3 of the way through the mini-series (seriously lost track of time), and I'm just blown away.

I found Season 1 (for realsies this time) for $15, and I'm pretty sure I've already gotten my money's worth out of it. Fantastic! Why couldn't the Sci-Fi channel have done this kind of quality when they re-did Dune?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I believe Frank Herbert's estate insists any adaptation is awful beyond words.

Actually, that's a cheap shot as I love the Lynch film and found the book rather dull, so there we go.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

I watched Lynch's version as a kid and still have nightmares of ginger Sting in his future y-fronts.

The book does drag on a bit but seems more rewarding when you read the rest of the series...well the rest of the Frank Herbert stuff anyway.

Didn't mind the sci-fi channel adap that much, just the dodgy painted backgrounds and lack of Patrick Stewart.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

The Lynch one had great potential, but where it fell short, it fell amazingly short. Sets designed by H. R. Giger, source material by Frank Herbert, and soundtrack by... Toto? And if I recall, they really played up that the movie featured Sting, when he's got maybe 2 lines? It's one of those movies that makes you sad when you think about what could have been.

As for the rest of the books, I found every other one to be really good. Sort of a reverse Star Trek syndrome in that the odd numbered ones were great and the evens were nearly dreadful. And while it was interesting to see where Frank had intended the series to go, the new ones by his son and the other guy were really awful. Way to exploit your dead-but-still-more-awesome-than-you father.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The film, IMO, works best when you think of it as a Lynch film rather than a book adaptation. That way the weirdness and the plot jumps don't really hurt too bad.

While Sting's awesome co-star extra work is wonderfully pointless, I think the great, great, great Max von Sydow getting a bit part is probably even funnier. Jack Nance probably did more...

Mind, I've got the score on CD. You have to sort of wonder if if got mixed up from another film it's so totally unfitting for the visuals - kinda like Bobby Vinton playing over a man getting a stroke.