Recommended Wii games?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Denyer

Recommended Wii games?

Post by Denyer »

Especially slightly older ones that are now likely to turn up on eBay and Amazon Marketplace. Bearing in mind that I don't generally get time to game myself, but the other half wanted Wii Fit Plus -- I'm mainly curious about what's out there. Stuff with minimal learning curve that covers traditional bases (2.5D beat-em-ups, puzzles, platform games, maybe some kind of skating title, etc.)

Cheers.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Metroid Prime Trilogy, Super Mario Galaxy, and that's about all I can recommend from experience. The Resident Evil games are pretty good if you like lightgun shooters, and Twilight Princess is great, but not that simple.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

The two best titles for the Wii, especially for retro gaming, are luckily $10 or under on eBay usually. You will want Metal Slug Anthology, which contains all 6 Metal Slug games from the past 10 years. Metal Slug, in case you don't know, is the best damn 2D side scrolling shooter to come out. Think Contra with amazing graphics, really good sense of humor, and amazing animation.

The second best game for your bucks will be the King Of Fighters Collection, which features 5 KOF games from 1994 - 1998, with a good bit of bonus content. Awesome old school 2D fighter from SNK/Neo-Geo that only gets better with age.

Other than that my Wii collection is based mostly of my step son's favorite games, which primarily are Mario Kart and Boom Blox (very addictive and explosive puzzle game), and various versions of Guitar Hero which is great fun when you get a bunch of people over for a few drinks.

There are quite a few awesome games for Gamecube that are very nice to have on Wii though, mainly Ikaruga, Soul Calibur 2, Zelda, and of course Metroid. Those are usually pretty cheap, I just picked up Soul Calibur 2 for $.99 shipped actually.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Super Mario Galaxy is a truly phenomenal game, one of the greatest of all time in my opinion. Mario Strikers: Charged is a fun and hectic 5v5 soccer game. The sports disc that comes packaged with the system is great fun, and I actually think Mario Party 8 is a good time with friends over.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I'd say it's still worth picking up Mario Sunshine too. Really lovely game. Bobbing up and down in the water as the bright tropical sun beats down on you with gondolas ferrying past, and tropical shoals swim beneath with underwater coins in the distance.

Gaaaawjus!

That and Mario Kart: Double Dash. I wonder if Sir Auros agrees, but I found Double Dash to be loads more fun than Mario Kart Wii. Maybe it's because the tracks are tighter, but there's definitely something more fun about it.

Um, Eledees and Pikmin 2? I've only played Pikmin 1 but it was great. No.2 is miles better, and a good example of a developer actually improving the dodgy aspects from it's first game.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Amazing game. Never gets old. Makes me feel guilty that I bought all these other Wii games like Mario Kart and Mario Galaxy and yet this is the only one I tend to play.:laugh:

Also if you like racing games for the Gamecube I highly recommend F-Zero GX.
"Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."

Movies I've seen recently:
Red
Johnny Got His Gun
A Clockwork Orange
Fight Club
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Tenacious D The Pick of destiny
Watchmen
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Zelda
Ghost Squad (Old skool arcade shoot 'em up)
No More Heroes
Bully
Lego Star Wars
Rayman Ravin Rabbids (Very funny)

All come to mind as super fun.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Besides the Metroid, Mario games, and Smash Bros. you might want to try No More Heros. It should be cheap now and it might be still in stores. Just don't play it when kids are around.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Don't forget De Blob! Can be had for a tenner in most shops.

And Mercury Meltdown Revolution, I pretty much always see knocking around at £7.99

Make sure it's Mercury Meltdown Revolution though, and not it's predecessor 'Mercury Meltdown'. Apparently the first one had some annoying gameplay issues that were all fixed in the sequel.
Clay

Post by Clay »

You stole my thunder! Now I don't get to make a thread :(

I bought a Wii about a week and a half ago. Bought the Metroid Prime trilogy set as it seemed like a good value for the money, and so far it has been. Played through the first game so far, and it's great at capturing the flavor of Super Metroid despite the extra dimension of movement.

However, the real reason I bought the Wii is the virtual console. This is a fantastic feature that is not to be underestimated. Also, it plays Gamecube game discs, so it's completely backwards-compatible there, too.

Actually, can anyone recommend Gamecube games? I never had one, so the fact that the Wii can play them has me curious as to what's out there worth looking up.
wolfbolt86
Protoform

Post by wolfbolt86 »

Clay wrote:You stole my thunder! Now I don't get to make a thread :(

Actually, can anyone recommend Gamecube games? I never had one, so the fact that the Wii can play them has me curious as to what's out there worth looking up.
Try the Zelda game, Star Fox, any of the Mario games, and the Pikmin games .
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Clay wrote: Also, it plays Gamecube game discs, so it's completely backwards-compatible there, too.

After getting our Wii, I had to take back everything bad I ever said about the Gamecube. Turns out it's a pretty great system.

Definitely Pikmin 2. I found that for $5, and it would have been worth 20. Viewtiful Joe and Viewtiful Joe 2 are really great. I only played them on the PS2, but can't imagine it would be that different. And they're really cheap in used stores right now.

I actually wasn't that thrilled with Super Monkey Ball 2. It would be cool on a handheld or the Wii where you're actually tipping something to move, but I don't really care for it with the joystick.

Also note that Target has all its Wii games on sale this week. Buy 2, get one free.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I'll go through my closet in a bit and see if I can find anything worth recommending. Gamestop.com has great prices on Gamecube games right now.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

No More Heroes
Mad World
Super Mario Galaxy
Brawl

If you like strategy, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn could work, but that game is sometimes unfair...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Clay wrote: Actually, can anyone recommend Gamecube games? I never had one, so the fact that the Wii can play them has me curious as to what's out there worth looking up.
There are quite a few awesome games for Gamecube that are very nice to have on Wii though, mainly Ikaruga, Soul Calibur 2, Zelda, and of course Metroid. Those are usually pretty cheap, I just picked up Soul Calibur 2 for $.99 shipped actually.

I can't stress just how amazing Ikaruga is though, you'll have to pay a bit more than with most Gamecube games to get it, but trust me it is worth it. Unless you have a Dreamcast, then there are easier ways of playing Ikaruga for less money...but if not then it is a must have Gamecube game. ;)
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Metroid Prime and the Legend of Zelda come to mind instantly. Wonderful games.

Lego Star Wars and Batman are also fun, but may not be everyone's cup of tea.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Ackula wrote:I can't stress just how amazing Ikaruga is though, you'll have to pay a bit more than with most Gamecube games to get it, but trust me it is worth it. Unless you have a Dreamcast, then there are easier ways of playing Ikaruga for less money...but if not then it is a must have Gamecube game. ;)
I'm so glad that Ikaruga is on Xbox Live Arcade. It beats hunting down the game, just like Rez.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

secretcode wrote:I'm so glad that Ikaruga is on Xbox Live Arcade. It beats hunting down the game, just like Rez.
Cool, I didn't know that, I am not an Xbox owner. Luckily I have damn near every Dreamcast game released in the US and Japan, so Rez and Ikaruga are easily accessible to me. Those are two very underrated games!
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Mario Kart Wii IS great fun, though I miss the "teammate" functionality of the GameCube's Double Dash. That gave girlfriends/wives a way to play without having to know TOO much about the controls.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Being a Wii owner from it's initial release date, I've had the chance to experience a ton of games. I was also an avid supporter of the GameCube, even though it was the black sheep of the last generation. And I download more Virtual Console and WiiWare titles than I probably should. Though DLC games are quite cheap. Anyways, here is a list of games I think are quite good for the Wii:

Super Mario Galaxy - absolutely a must have. 'Nuff said.

Super Paper Mario - Nice little Platformer/RPG, can be a little long of a title though. Good puzzle elements.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Can't recommend this high enough. This is a phenomenal party game with essentially no learning curve. Plus, the controls work.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Great fighting (especially 4 player), but can be tough to learn controls and nuances of each character. As a bonus, there are 4 controls schemes to use. TONS of content.

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition - one of the best games in the past 10 years, multiply replayable...

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Long game, but well worth it. Motion controls for the sword & shield, IR pointing for the bow, slingshot, and clawshot. Great adventure!

Mario Kart Wii - Great racer, lots of game content. Easy learning curve.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - Recently got this; it's a fun on-rails shooter that covers the events of RE 0, 1 & 3. Not too difficult to learn, plus it's 2 player & Wii Zapper compatible.

SNK Arcade Classics - Very inexpensive, and contains 16 arcade titles from the NEO GEO like Samurai Shodown, King of Fighters '94, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug, etc.

Excite Truck/Excite Bots - Great arcade racer with a sense of speed. Fun pick up & play game.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz - Great party title.

Trouble is, some of these games are AAA titles, and costs haven't dropped much.

Recommended WiiWare games:
Tetris Party - It's Tetris.
Mega Man 9 - Old school Mega Man. 8-bit graphics and music, typical Mega Man difficulty.
Driift Mania - Fun little racer for up to 8 people. Basically it's an updated RC Pro-Am from the NES era.
Dr. Mario Online Rx - If you liked the original, this puzzle game doesn't change much, and that's a good thing.
Excite Bike: World Rally (coming Nov. 9) - Another racer, but an updated version of the NES classic. Race some motorbikes, make some jumps, avoid mud pits, etc. Can't wait for this title.

**Virtual Console titles are so far back, you probably have opinions of what is fun and what is not, so I won't go into recommendations for those.

Recommended GameCube Titles:
Star Wars: Rogue Leader - Great arcade style flight simulator in the SW Universe. Dirt Cheap.
Pikmin 2 - Quirky little puzzle/action game. Good fun.
Sonic Mega Collection - All the games from Sonic's Genesis (glory) days.
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - All MM titles from the NES era.
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - Cartoony art style that I personally didn't like, but a great game nonetheless.
Ikaruga - Probably expensive, but a phenomenal arcade space shooter.
Soul Caliber 2 - Great fighting game, dirt cheap, and it features Link as a playable character.

Sorry for the long list, but I just felt I had to make my opinions on these. As a long time Nintendo supporter, I feel the need to make recommendations. Hope that helps!