Paranormal Activity.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Paranormal Activity.

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, that was a pleasant surprise as I went in knowing nothing about it bar it being a bit Blair Witch. Shame about the audience who were the worst I've ever seen a film with, seriously, an usher was having to walk up and down the aisles to tell people to shut the **** up. I don't think I've ever even seen a cinema usher before outside of things set in the 50's.

Despite them though this is a nice, low key little horror movie that, despite there not being a original bone in its body still does what it does very well. As always with these things the conceit of them never putting the camera down in dire situations is a little forced (though it annoyed me at the time I think in retrospect Blair Witch got away with that better than anything else by making the camera effectively a security blanket for the female character), though at least here most of the action is on a locked off camera rather than being lugged about.

The main flaw was the male character being so deeply irritating (he's repeatedly ignores all advice- except the one time he should have- making the situation worse and refuses to take any responsibility) the ending is as much a relief as a shock. Though I suppose that at least he's the sort of guy who would grab the camera before running to respond to his girlfriend's screams.

The main bonuses are the exceptional use of sound for effect, very nicely done and made a change from the Saw wannabes. The woman gave a great performance as well, equal parts genuine, shit scared and unsettling as needed.
SPOILER! (select to read)
It could have done without the tiny bit of CGI in the last few seconds though, based on what I've read the original more low key ending,
where instead of chucking his body at the camera and going all demon she stabs him to death downstairs and then comes back up covered in blood before standing catatonic for hours, at which point the police arrive and shoot her when they mistake her coming out of the trance in a confused state for an attack, seems more in keeping with the rest of the film. If nothing else it leaves some ambiguity over if there ever was really a demon or if it was just some coincidences/fakery and her being a nut job.
That said the big jump in the new ending is done brilliantly.

In other news: It's probably going to be shit but the use of the "Shit scariest film" quote in the Descent 2 (which apparently doesn't follow either of the endings to the first one but creates a third) trailer deserves some sort of award.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I was worried I wasn't going to get to see this, but my buddy also has a girlfriend with no interest in watching it, so I'll catch it with him.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Saw it last night with my gf and we both absolutely loved it.
My screening was also slighly spoiled by the rest of the audience.
I had a bunch of idiots next to me who wouldnt shut up to the point I ended up having to say something to them at about the hour mark(wish your usher had been about) and I had an annoying woman behind me screaming her lungs off in my ear every time the couple went to bed even before anything was happening.
I think I would have been a bit more sympathetic to Micah if he wasnt such an arrogant prick.
Having downloaded the alternate ending Im torn between which one I prefer TBH.
The cinema one is a great "big jump" moment but the other makes me feel so much sadder for Katie.The cinema one-while still great-feels a tiny tiny bit tacked on once you have seen the other one.
Im still amazed they managed to put it together for $15,000.
In the alternate ending I saw the police shooting her as more because the "demon" slams the door of one of the guest bedrooms behind them shut with a loud bang and the jumpy cop almost accidentally opens fire on her.
I would recommend the film to anyone.
And yeah props to the Descent 2 trailer for getting voice over man to say that quote.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:In other news: It's probably going to be shit but the use of the "Shit scariest film" quote in the Descent 2 (which apparently doesn't follow either of the endings to the first one but creates a third) trailer deserves some sort of award.
I've seen two trailers for The Descent Part 2. One of which is a proper trailer, the other of which has that quote ("It's the feel shit-scared film of the year") and is only attached to films where the target audience is mostly 13 year old girls*.

The fact that version is attached to Paranormal Activity tells me all I need to know. Well, the fact that all the trailers I've seen for PA have consisted of "here's some footage of some Americans watching the movie" tells me all I needed to know, but it's often good to get corroboration.

* - Jennifer's Body, since you asked. It was meh. Some decent gags and witticisms, some hot lesbian action, but overall fairly average. Totally worth it for the 14 year olds sat immediately behind me who responded to two quite hot girls kissing and groping as if it was the most disgusting thing in the world. EVER. Sample quote: This film is nasty. No, love. It's art.
inflatable dalek

I'm suitiably impressed. Being able to tell if a film's going to be any good from the trailer is one thing, being able to tell from what other film trailers get put at the start of it is amazing. ;)

Though I never said I saw the Descent 2 trailer at the start of Paranormal Activity, twas on ye olde youtube. As we missed the first few trailers I'm not sure if this movie is blessed with it or not.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:I'm suitiably impressed. Being able to tell if a film's going to be any good from the trailer is one thing, being able to tell from what other film trailers get put at the start of it is amazing. ;)
I got mad skillz yo.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

The Descent 2 trailer was attached to the film though, so Halfshell is correct in his assumption

Saw it the other day, thought it was really entertaining, didnt personally find it particularly scary, as in jump scary, but there were one or two bits that made me feel really uncomfortable.
one of the bits was where she got dragged out of the bed, thought that was horrible.

I would have preferred the original ending tbh, I didnt like the demon reveal after shes crouching over his corpse, I dont know, it just reminded me of the bit in Jennifers Body where the same thing happens, everything about the film was so so subtle, shame they felt the need to hammer us over the head with the fact she'd been possessed within the last few seconds

The "big" scare at the end would have probably been the one to get me if only the damn thing wasnt in the trailer!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Shouldn't this be merged with the "bad films" thread? ;)
inflatable dalek

It hardly needs to be merged with Nick Cage discussion. No one could think it's that bad.
inflatable dalek

Saw the second one yesterday. The important thing was there was lots more gratuitous Katie cleavage. Including a bikini scene.

It's very much in the spirit of the first one without feeling like a rehash despite having many of the same beats, so if you liked that you'll enjoy this. Only real problem is there's more moments where them filming what's going on feels incredibly forced.

Liked the fact the explanation for the demon was totally different from the first film, the implication being these idiots are just stumbling across the first thing they find on the internet and taking it as gospel without having any real clue.

Plus, it flowed into the start of the first one pretty neatly as well.

The father's solution was incredibly nasty as well, though he's obviously not seen enough horror films or he'd know it wouldn't work. Scarily enough he also looked pretty much exactly like what out very own Drivaar/Kris Carter will in about twenty years.

Can't really see what they can do with a third one though, there's one main survivor (assuming they don't want to do anything about the dog) this time who could pick up the story but what odds of them going somewhere they're filmed with HD cameras all the time?
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I finally got around to watching the first PA last night, with plans to watch the second at the weekend.

Although it wasn't the super-terrifying masterpiece some built it up to be, it was exceptionally well done and watching it at 10pm in bed with my gf before immediately trying to go to sleep did leave me feeling somewhat unsettled.
High hopes for the second one (and obviously, I completely ignored your post about it)
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Summerhayes wrote: Although it wasn't the super-terrifying masterpiece some built it up to be, it was exceptionally well done and watching it at 10pm in bed with my gf before immediately trying to go to sleep did leave me feeling somewhat unsettled.
High hopes for the second one (and obviously, I completely ignored your post about it)
Just be grateful she isn't the type to freak you out by sneaking out of bed in the middle of the night and standing over you in a sinister way (though I suppose she may have and you ruined the gag by not waking up).