Anyone going to San Diego Comic Con?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ackula

Anyone going to San Diego Comic Con?

Post by Ackula »

Just curious if any of you guys are going, have bought tickets or what not. Might be pretty cool to meet up with some of you (emphasis on the "some") if you're going as well. ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well, be sure to wear flowers in your hair.

No, shit, that's San Francisco. Er... [insert Anchorman gag here]
Savannahtron

Post by Savannahtron »

Hahah, yeah, I am not planning on going either. I live on the east coast and really don't see myself spending a lot of money on Transformers this year. I think this year's TF exclusive is Blaster right? I'd like to pick him up like I did the Soundwave from last year.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Honestly, I think that if I ever go to one of these things, I'll end up not telling anyone and just watch GD, waiting to see if anyone is going. I'll wander around the 'con, watching groups to see if any of them look like Archivers... then I will run in the other direction.

Or better yet, I will hide from you all by dressing as a Seeker. No one would suspect that I, avid hater of costumed seeker fangirls, would be dressed as one myself! *twirls end of awesome fake curly-ended thin mustache diabolically*
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Nope, not from mid-west either. Remember to take some pictures to show us.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sades wrote: Or better yet, I will hide from you all by dressing as a Seeker. No one would suspect that I, avid hater of costumed seeker fangirls, would be dressed as one myself! *twirls end of awesome fake curly-ended thin mustache diabolically*
Yes, but then you'd have the more socially inept posters hitting on you. "Hey Thundercracker, wanna have my sonic boom?"
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

are there actually people who go there? I thought the guys who organize that kind of thing bring all their friends (both of them), watch animes and drink diet coke all day long, playing magic the gathering with one hand while waiting for a raid run in WoW...

Who has time nowadays for interaction with real people?
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:Yes, but then you'd have the more socially inept posters hitting on you. "Hey Thundercracker, wanna have my sonic boom?"
I'll keep the moustache and dress as Powerglide in that case.

You know what, sometimes I hate having ovaries- if I were a guy, life, geekery, attending 'cons would be much easier. I might not be able to get away with half the weirdness I get away with, though. So I guess there's a decent tradeoff.
I thought the guys who organize that kind of thing bring all their friends (both of them), watch animes and drink diet coke all day long, playing magic the gathering with one hand while waiting for a raid run in WoW...

I heart stereotypes. Most of the people I know do that sort of thing, and they have families, real jobs, smell normal and have plenty of friends who enjoy the same. There's the occasional stereotypical, given-up-on-life nerd but they're actually few and far between. (they do tend to play a lot of Magic, though... that might be why I can't stand that game.) The WoW TCG is a different beast, however.

Hmm, I am contrary today. Time for coffee.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

My wife got us passes for Christmas, but I really wanted to go to PAX East instead, so I think we're going to get our money refunded. Unfortunately, they won't refund your money until a month after the show, and they're not transferable, so I can't hook you up with my Friday and Saturday passes.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Sades wrote:I heart stereotypes.
stereotypes?

my post is based on pure facts...... as always....

Many years ago (I guess in 1994-96) I organized a couple of MtG trading Con's for money in this area. And a good friend of mine still plays MtG at tournaments and WoW at sites in and outside of GErmany. Sometimes we travel together and I drop him off at the tournament and meet him later for beers.... So I have seen and learned...

Anyways, I like plastic robots, how geekish ist that :-D
Sades

Post by Sades »

Addl wrote:So I have seen and learned...
Your seen and learned seems a lot different from my seen and learned. Or maybe it's just the circles I've travelled in. :o
Addl wrote:Anyways, I like plastic robots, how geekish ist that :-D
OMG NERD KILL IT
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Addl wrote:are there actually people who go there? I thought the guys who organize that kind of thing bring all their friends (both of them), watch animes and drink diet coke all day long, playing magic the gathering with one hand while waiting for a raid run in WoW...

Well, while that may be true of many typical conventions, SDCC [it's so big it's even known by an acronym! ;)] has become somewhat of a different animal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Comic_Con

In fact, even if I weren't on the wrong side of the country, the thing is so damn crowded that I'd be hesisitant about going, even though there are often panels there which I might really like to see....
Sades

Post by Sades »

I guess there would be a sea of humanity at these things, eh? I don't know why I never thought of that.

I hate lines. I've experienced convention lines before... Spending an hour shuffling slowly forward, not fun. I wanted to kill people.
inflatable dalek

Perhaps it's because I'm British but I find queeing at these sort of events can be fun, you usually end up chatting with the people either side. Of course, if one of them's a wierdo you're screwed.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

inflatable dalek wrote:Of course, if one of them's a wierdo you're screwed.
Yeah. I invented that problem....

Somehow I tend to end up with the only weirdo in the room and even if you manage to get away with a cool new line like "I have to go make a phone call" you somehow end up an hour later next to him and make eye contact... and it all starts over.
inflatable dalek

I usually end up next to people who are clearly a bit... special so you wind up feeling bad if you just run off screaming.