What do Wii need?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Big thanks to everyone whos made a worthwhile contribution(basically everyone except RT)
So far she got Mario Kart,Zelda and Just Dance to go with Sports and Sports Resort that came with it and she is loving them all so far.
I like my wrestling does anybody have S vs. R 2010 and if so what do you reckon?
I still spend hours on No Mercy thru Project 64 so it doesnt have to be amazing graphically as long as its a sound wrestling game.
Ive bought a cheap cable from Ebay should be OK eh?
That hack sounds v. interesting-I did notice the USB ports when I was hooking it up and wondered what they were used for.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Sades

Post by Sades »

If people don't shut the **** up, imma bang some heads.

Anyway, yes- I'd highly recommend the new Mario, and Mario Party 8. I seem to recall Link's Crossbow Training being kickass as well, but I like weird shit so that might have been just me.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Prowl1984 wrote:yeah i guess but what's retro about flailing your arms around? don't get me wrong, it's good fun and all, i just don't think it measures up as a console in terms of single-player...erm...play?

all the big titles are getting released on the PS3 and 360 over the wii, but saying that i guess the wii does have more retro-type games to offer such as the umpteenth edition of Mario or Zelda. I only say non-gamers because members of my family who have never touched a console before are suddenly buying wii's and playing nothing but wii sports. oh and wii fit, can't help but think that's a total waste of cash though when the gym is far better...
All of the retro games I'm talking about, do not use the Wiimote as a primary controller, nor do you flail your arms about. You use either a classic controller, Gamecube controller, or Wavebird.

I'm also not speaking about Nintendo's reinventions of their timeless franchises, but actual classic games that are released on the Wii on collection discs, anthology discs, and via the Virtual Console. SNK Arcade Classics, KOF Collection, Metal Slug Anthology, Samurai Shodown Anthology, Data East Arcade Hits, and a whole host of classic games on the Virtual Console, just to name a few.
kupimus aka(clocker)
Protoform

Post by kupimus aka(clocker) »

My wife just got mario kart for £23 from sainsburys with the wheel and she loves it.

Id personally recommend metroid prime 3 or the whole trilogy version.
Let this be thy final lesson monster, no man is e'er defeated till his last breath is drawn! And e'en THEN, 'tis most unwise for the victor to assume the battle is ended, for with god and man, a war is ne'er over till the ultimate wrong is set aright and the final villain is DONE!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Why can't that thing do what my DS can? Starting a game within 15 minutes?
It can.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Halfshell wrote:It can.
Not when he is doing it..........
Treadshot A1

Post by Treadshot A1 »

Brawl. SSBB is great.

And i'd avoid the New Super Mario Bros. Why? Coz i suck at Mario games in general, and i beat it in three days. Talk about easy... :lol:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Rattrap's tail wrote:So, what do I care for a three year old who's mastered handling te Wii???
Why are you playing Wii with three-year-olds? Looking for suitable opponents?
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Nope... I tried playing it it some guy from 21... He studied scince and technology... Yes, I told him the same as Martyboy... Anyways, Ackula... just one question: What do my internet skills have to do with being able to cooperate with a Wii????
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

martyboy70 wrote:Big thanks to everyone whos made a worthwhile contribution(basically everyone except RT)
So far she got Mario Kart,Zelda and Just Dance to go with Sports and Sports Resort that came with it and she is loving them all so far.
I like my wrestling does anybody have S vs. R 2010 and if so what do you reckon?
I still spend hours on No Mercy thru Project 64 so it doesnt have to be amazing graphically as long as its a sound wrestling game.
Ive bought a cheap cable from Ebay should be OK eh?
That hack sounds v. interesting-I did notice the USB ports when I was hooking it up and wondered what they were used for.
I've had my Wii since launch day and I don't own any other console. There's a ton of games out there to choose from, you just have to find the right ones. A lot of developers have gotten the idea to cash in on the Wii with half-assed efforts that are typically mini-game compilations that can't even hold a candle to Wii Sports.

Anyways, I agree with Ackula, the Wii is far superior for retro gaming. I have downloaded a bunch of games (stored on an SD card), and don't regret it one bit. It's nice to turn back to a little nostalgia every now and then. Plus, they just released Orge Battle 64, which I'm pumped to try out.

I have composite cables, and they did make a difference from using the standard RCA cables, even though I only own a 27" CRT TV. The ones you got on eBay should be fine.

Like most people have already said, I recommend:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy (the sequel is on it's way soon too), Metroid Prime Trilogy, New Super Mario Bros. (great to play with anyone), Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Star Wars Force Unleashed, and WarioWare: Smooth Moves (this one is great for parties).

And yes, you can play GC games on the Wii. You just need a GC memory card and GC controllers and you're good to go. I roll some Mega Man X Collection from time to time on there and it works great.

Overall, just wade through the bad stuff and you can find some real gems on the system. If you're in doubt about a certain game, you can check out online reviews before you spend your $$. I frequent IGN.com and GameSpot.com to get a couple different takes on a title. And you'll find that some of the games that you would think would traditionally suck, turn out to be really fun (Hasbro Family Game Night is actually a fun game!)

And on a final note, I have played Smackdown vs. Raw (2008 or 2009, can't remember) and it was SUPER fun, though my arms got really frickin' tired. They may have toned that down for 2010 though.

Hope any of that helps...
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Anyways, Ackula... just one question: What do my internet skills have to do with being able to cooperate with a Wii????
I have no clue what the hell you are on about.

On topic though, I can't recommend Zelda Twilight Princess enough. I've put in around 45 hours of game time as of today and still haven't completed it. It is definitely a very rewarding single player experience, with a rare case of having a damn good story that is very different than anything else currently done in the franchise. :up::up:
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Ackula wrote:On topic though, I can't recommend Zelda Twilight Princess enough. I've put in around 45 hours of game time as of today and still haven't completed it. It is definitely a very rewarding single player experience, with a rare case of having a damn good story that is very different than anything else currently done in the franchise. :up::up:
Agreed. There is soooo much to do in that game outside of the main storyline, bug collecting, side quests, etc. And when it's all said and done you can attempt a 50 level dungeon in the desert. Awesome!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

ganon578 wrote:Agreed. There is soooo much to do in that game outside of the main storyline, bug collecting, side quests, etc. And when it's all said and done you can attempt a 50 level dungeon in the desert. Awesome!
Yeah I wasted two days trying to get the Magic Armor, only to realize how much it sucked after getting it. At least it saved my ass once in Hyrule Castle, when I had to fight those two large knights at once. :lol:
martyboy70 wrote:I like my wrestling does anybody have S vs. R 2010 and if so what do you reckon?
I haven't tried out the WWE titles on Wii yet, but the best wrestling game you will ever find on any platform is Firepro Wrestling Returns on the PS2. If you loved those N64 games, you will be in heaven with FPWR. Gamestop tends to have them for like $5 used. Look into it if you still have a PS2 kicking about.

Other than that, you can emulate the N64 ones on the Wii after you do the hack, but those wrestling games seem to have some graphical glitches right now. The N64 emulation is probably the worst of any emulation out there right now, oddly enough. NES/SNES/Genesis/SMS/TG16..are all perfect emulation at this point though. Also a fair bit of MAME/Neo-Geo stuff can currently run.