General LEGO discussion (inc. collectible minifigs)

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Finnaly got the space marine Lego minifig! It's so obvious now that I should have just felt for the packets with the most in them.

Might go round all the shops now and feel some packets.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Anyone grabbed any of the Team GB ones? Nothing explosive in terms of unique parts, but it's nice to have partners/opponents for some of the earlier sporty chaps (boxer, martial artist, tennis player). The archer's my favourite - I think he's meant to be squinting down the arrow, but it just looks like he's doing a big dirty Sid James wink.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Haven't even seen 'em in Tesco. Couldn't find the more worrying (eg, cyclopean terror with camera for an eye dressed up as a policeman) olympic mascots either.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sar got ours from Sainsbury's, and we didn't see them anywhere else in town today - exclusive, maybe? We hadn't even heard of them until we saw them; I'm curious to know if there are own versions in other countries - France and the Netherlands didn't have any, but they're not quite as Olympic-y as us (even allowing for the hosting cash-in).

TBH, considering the official logo seems to be one mascot felating the other it's going to take a lot for the merchandise to raise an eyebrow.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/07/1 ... -series-8/

Quite like the bat thing, alien warlord and second crack at the robot.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/07/1 ... -minifigs/

Nails Commissioner Gordon pretty well.
Terome

Post by Terome »

John Steed is definitely my favourite from that lot. I want a ton of those. My girlfriend has already claimed the Shakespeare. Bat-thing is a no-brainer too.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Probably my least favourite assortment of Minifigs yet with a couple of standouts. Oh and the SWAT guy is Captain Freedom(Jesse Ventura) from The Running Man.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hm. I'm a little bored by that lineup.

Wants are probably Pirate Captain, Ancient Thespian, Enemy Robot, DJ, Santa and the Diver.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I picked up the boxer minifig from the Team GB this morning. He is now fighting the regular boxer on my shelf.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Terome

Post by Terome »

Denyer wrote: http://www.brothers-brick.com/2012/07/1 ... -minifigs/

Nails Commissioner Gordon pretty well.
LOOK AT THAT PENGUIN!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Got the Ice Fisherman and Highland Battler via D. BIGGEST THANKS EVAR- the ice fisherman looks super cool. And I like his little fish.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

I’m quite a fan of these collectable minifigures, I have actually succeeded at getting all of them including the Olympic ones. I like how they have a whole lot of new parts, and occasionally make figures that otherwise aren’t related to any existing themes.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I impulse-bought myself one each of series seven and eight while I was out doing some Christmas shopping. The series seven figure turned out to be the cute bunny-suit guy and the series eight fig was the conquistador, my two most-wanted figures from each set. I guess sometimes random chance works in your favour!

The conquistador is awesome. I don't think I've ever seen his helmet design used before, at least not on anything medieval-themed. I quite like it. His armour print is nice and unique and I love the deep red colour that his torso, arms and legs are cast from. His rapier is awesome, too, because I don't think I've gotten any of those before and I love it when Lego produces a different kind of sword. The Pirate cutlass and Castle broadsword from the 80s are cool, sure, but they don't work for everything.

Bunny man is just adorable. Though a part of me wants to steal his hat, paint it yellow and make a "young Link with bunny hood" minifigure...

I don't think I'd seen the full series eight checklist before, either. Lots of really nice figures in this set...the evil robot, alien, fairy, man-bat and pirate all look cool, and the ersatz Shakespeare is just gorgeous. I can't believe they made a ruffled Elizabethan collar piece for him. MUST HAVE.

Yes, I know. I get excited by strange things.
Sades

Post by Sades »

If I can get excited by a little fish, you can get excited by a little ruffled collar...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

What about a fish... in a ruffled collar?

MIND BLOWN.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The collar wouldn't be able to stay on the fish. :(
Sades wrote:If I can get excited by a little fish, you can get excited by a little ruffled collar...
Yeah, but you're supposed to have bizarre tastes and get worked up over insignificant things. You're a woman! Er...I mean, you're pregnant!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I picked up a couple of series 7 minifigures, wasn't that overlly impressed, but I do like the computer nerd guy whom weirdly looks like British actor James Lance as he appeared in Being Human as a child murdering ghost from the '70s.

I picked up a couple of seires 8 minifigures whilst in Manchester the other day to see Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson's 'Twins Of Evil' Tour (verdict on that: Rob Zombie is ace, despite cheekily trailing his upcoming film before reappearing for an Encore whilst Marilyn Manson is now just a sad cartoon of himself, endlessly repeating his career highlight 'Antichrist Superstar' to diminishing returns).

Anyway, I ended up with two divers. Which made me sad, but the little fellows are so cheerful and happy in their golden diving gear that I am not sad anymore. Just a shame the gold plastics feel uncomfortably weak.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

That Spaniard helmets are actually about 15 years old, Warcry. It has just never been featured in any castle sets. They were used in some of the very last Pirates sets and were reused more recently in some of the Indiana Jones sets that were from the 4th movie. I really love the conquistador; I bought 4 or 5 of them to boots my Imperial Armada a little.

Also there have been a few promo picture for series nine, and parts for series ten and eleven may have been spotted too.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I figured that might be the case, but I never bought any Pirate sets when I was a kid (to my infinite regret as an adult, because a lot of the Pirate stuff was awesome).