Is Norm MacDonald/"Dirty Work" funny?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Is Norm MacDonald funny?

Yes.
60%
No.
40%
Wut
No votes

Total votes: 5

Sades

Is Norm MacDonald/"Dirty Work" funny?

Post by Sades »

I think it can be amusing, but the movie is pretty much just one long sequence of Norm MacDonald one-liners and it gets slightly annoying after awhile. So I guess I'd have to say no.

Actually, I'd have to say "sorta". It's good for cheap laughs, and sometimes that's not horrible. Damn you, hindsight.

Norm MacDonald is a bit of a tool, though.

[edit] ignore the poll question, I (mainly) meant to ask about the movie. :o
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Yes, I think that movie's quite funny on a base level.

"Time to pay the fiddler, whore!!!"
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I find Norm MacDonald to be a lot like Tracy Morgan. They're both very funny in very small amounts, but after more than 10 minutes, the schtick wears thin. MacDonald is sooooo not an actor, though. Morgan at least has a bit of acting in him (though his best role is always Tracy Morgan).
And I've never seen Dirty Work, so I answered the poll anyway.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Notabot wrote:funny in very small amounts, but after more than 10 minutes, the schtick wears thin. MacDonald is sooooo not an actor, though.
I think this is what bothers me about it/him. :up: That, and his stupid face.

Anyway, the topic was prompted by the fact that the BF puts it on every now and again as "background noise" and Norm MacDonald is starting to drive me a bit nutty. Admittedly though, I did kick back, watch and was amused by the last half. Stupid jokes are good when you're tired.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I remember thinking it was funny, but I haven't seen it since high school, so I might have outgrown it by now. I dunno.

As for Norm MacDonald, he's a good comedian, but I echo the opinion that he isn't a very good actor. Not all comedians can or should make that transition. Steven Wright is amusing, but I wouldn't want to watch a movie starring him. Gilbert Godfried's stand up is great and he's fun as a supporting character or voice over artist, but I could never stomach him in a leading role.

Norm MacDonald is sort of like that. I think so far as movies go, he'd be easier to endure as a supporting cast member than as the main player.

Although, I also recall his series "Norm" being funny, but again, that was a long time ago. I think the last thing I saw him in was his new variety show on Comedy Central. Crap was so bad I think they canned it after one episode.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
S_Windell
Protoform

Post by S_Windell »

Notabot wrote:I find Norm MacDonald to be a lot like Tracy Morgan. They're both very funny in very small amounts, but after more than 10 minutes, the schtick wears thin.
That's what I was about to say as soon as I entered this thread. Seems to be somewhat a general opinion.

I actually think Norm is hysterical! But he's like that friend we all have, who is really fun to be around for a while, then you suddenly find yourself trying to get the hell away from him...