Scott Pilgrim vs. the World [no spoilers yet]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World [no spoilers yet]

Post by Sades »

This is a movie based on a comic book that had started with the intention to turn it into a movie.

Apparently. I think I read that somewhere.

But anyway. I don't care about the comics- the person behind the till at the comic store I got the free pass from tried to push me in their direction last week, I politely browsed for a moment but I found that I didn't really care. And I still don't (I was much more entertained by the Domo-Kun manga I found a moment later and will buy come payday, but that's probably another post entirely). There was a movie pass to a screening, it was free. The internet had made the movie seem mildly interesting, so I decided to pick one up.

I'm glad I did. I went in not expecting a lot and this was a pleasant surprise, a throughly entertaining and visually very fun film that I probably would not have seen otherwise, given my current penny-pinching ways. I mean, it's not groundbreaking... there's a lot packed into this film so the story's thin, Cera is an awkward geek, surprise surprise and the story is cliché in places and makes little sense in others, but I stopped caring about halfway through. It was just... fun.

If you're geeky, like video games/music/comic books and haven't let old age brutally murder your inner child yet, you'll probably have a blast at this film. Or at the very least, enjoy it enough that you won't feel like it was a huge waste of time.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades wrote:It was just... fun.
Yeah co-signed on most of the above -- the trailer looked pretty entertaining, and I'm interested in seeing it on a big screen, but no desire to read the comics.

Movies on the whole don't advertise comics well, do they? Watch Iron Man and go to the comics, and there's a load of guff about Civil War and similar events. Watch Batman and ditto for Super Infinite Death By Darkseid Crisis, or whatever it was called.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

i have read the comics. They are actually great little reads, charming and funny. Sure, they're not Sandman, but for some light knock-about hijinks with a bit of heart, they are worth a look. I think the critical acclaim around the books does have people shoving them in your face like they're the second coming of jesus, which is a shame 'cos that can be very off putting.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Saw it tonight and enjoyed it a lot. Haven't read the comics, but I'm aware of the good buzz behind them. The franchise was put on my radar by Anamanaguchi during their set at PAX East where they played some music they made for the Scott Pilgrim game.

Kinda like a nerdier version of Kill Bill.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Skyquake87 wrote: think the critical acclaim around the books does have people shoving them in your face like they're the second coming of jesus, which is a shame 'cos that can be very off putting.
Actually, that does sound like Sandman.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Which is worth reading, and I like enough to have a complete run of, but most worth reading when you're 16-17 and it's likely to have more impact...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I HAS SEED THIS FILLUM!

I liked it. Wasn't OHMYGODABSOLUTELYSUPERBAWESOMEFRIEDGOLD, but it was fun and stuff.

I'm feeling articulate baby, yeah.

Best video game movie evar.

So yeah. Lovely stuff, but not Toy Story 3 lovely. I left smiling, that's always the good sign.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I saw it yday, thought it was brilliantly mad, an insane slice of cinema, but didnt really feel much lasting effect after an hour had passed post leaving the cinema, other than the fact that Mary Elizabeth Winstead was once again HOOOOOT and Knives was pretty cute too.

I read book one last night after seeing the film, alot of people talked about the dialogue of the books being amazing, but I much preferred what changes were made in the film... Atlho I cant place whether or not that was merely due to the film dialogue being the established dialogue for me, and the book being being the change, or whether or not it was genuinely better.