Ye Olde Doctor Who Thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Not long now
Attachments
FB_IMG_1474647032808.jpg
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:There was an episode between Utopia and Time Crash?
Oh for a world where Jacobi regenerated into an actor and just did a runner, leaving Tennant to find the TARDIS and crash it straight into that spaceboat.

Time Crash, while nice to have Pete back, is just another slice of smug twattery with bootstrap paradoxes and silly "timey wimey" stuff. These next few seasons are going to be difficult, aren't they?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

"Once it's set adrift it's programmed to lock onto the nearest centre of gravity."

Isn't that... like... how gravity works anyway?

Nice of Voyage of the Damned to break out Geoffrey Palmer AND Clive Swift at the same time. Clearly running out of old actors who've not already done Who.

[and of course Bernard did one of the Cushing films]
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:"Once it's set adrift it's programmed to lock onto the nearest centre of gravity."

Isn't that... like... how gravity works anyway?
I don't think the nu-Doctor is much of a scientist.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Nice of Voyage of the Damned to break out Geoffrey Palmer AND Clive Swift at the same time. Clearly running out of old actors who've not already done Who.

[and of course Bernard did one of the Cushing films]
Have you read that Clive Swift interview with Doctor Who Magazine from that time? It's probably online somewhere if not and is mind boggling. You almost have some sympathy for him (he has done other things than Dr Who), but the whole "Interviewers should use shorthand rather than a tape recorder" stance that really kicks things off makes him look a dick.

The person who did the interview claims Swift wound up hated by everyone involved, and it says a lot the production office signed off on the unedited version being published in the "Everything's marvellous!" era of reporting.

The old fashioned transfers with issue 500 included a Clive Swift's face one.

Edit: Of course, Denis Hopper was first choice for that role...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I've had a quick glance round the interwebz and can't find anything more than snippets. Wasn't told he was playing an alien, doesn't seem to think the character's important enough for the amount of questions being asked. Hey ho.

Fires of Pompeii having Capaldi and Gillan in it is prime material for the fanfic wankers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I quite liked Fires Of Pompeii, with its hammy melodrama. Love the Lava Monsters.
inflatable dalek

It's fine right up till it going insanely OTT with the Doctor Jesus stuff at the end.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Holy continuity notes, Batman.

First we get a nod to the Romans, then in the very next episode a Sensorites reference. Hadn't picked up on that on the previous occasions I'd seen the episode. We just needed the Sontaran Stratagem to have a Yartek reveal and we'd have reached maximum Hartnell.

[EDIT] Though with the bees disappearing they missed a trick not having a Web Planet reveal as the season's endgame.

Unless it was referenced in there and I've just forgotten. Oh god the Unicorn and the Wasp is this season too isn't it...

[EDIT 2] And there's the Dalek Invasion of Earth reference coming up with the whole "somebody tried to move the Earth before" bit. This actually is Hartnelltastic.
inflatable dalek

The start of the slippery slope ending in Davros watching old Doctor Who DVD's for no real reason.

The entire cost and length of time of collecting the Doctor Who Complete History Collection has been justified by this awesome yet ever so slightly awkward publicity pic of the season 12 cast I hadn't seen before:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 0159083520

I love how Marter is really trying to sell the "Push-starting Bessie" idea whilst Baker is like "Yeah, when are we hitting the pub?"
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Speaking of Davros, those sound clips on the menu for the season 4 discs can **** the **** right ****ing off.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:It's fine right up till it going insanely OTT with the Doctor Jesus stuff at the end.
At least it kind of works in the context that episode. What doesn't work so much, at least for me, is the moral dilemma and how forced it feels; there just doesn't seem to be a good reason why the Doctor couldn't save one family, even without Donna's pestering him over it.

But then, I feel the same way about the failure to save Adric.

"We can't go back, it is impossible to save Adric!"
"But we could just pop in, pick him up and go and our past selves won't even notice!"
"No, I mean his contract with this series has reached it's end!"
"Oh well that's an obvious exception."
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Roughly four minutes into The Doctor's Daughter and I want to slam my face through a window pane.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That is a duffer. Shame, as Georgia Moffett is rather likeable as the perky Doctor-clone.

Crikey, Season 4 is full of some right ribald nonsense isn't it?
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

Riiiiight lots to get through not a lot of time first things first this guy right.

Oh sorry, wrong book.

The Doctor's Daughter can still **** the **** right off and keep ****ing off until it gets back here and then can **** off again. Martha sodding Jones being an authority on Time Lord physiology when she's never even seen a regeneration can get right in the sea. And no Jacobi/Simm doesn't count because he was in the TARDIS when it happened and oh my ****ing god that's not even the worst of the episode.

Where was I?

Silence in the Library is still pretty good, even if Moffat reused the girl isn't really a girl is actually in a computer VR thing for Asylum of the Daleks. Still surprised he hasn't found a way to bring back the vashta nerada.

Turn Left. All good and WHAT IF-ish, but if the Doctor dies in the Runaway Bride then he never goes back to Pompeii and the world ends way back then so doesn't exist for the events of the Runaway Bride where he dies and oh look I've gone cross-eyed.

Stolen Earth just makes me want to rewatch Torchwood, but only the scenes that have got Gwen in them. ****ing hell, why couldn't she just be the companion going forward.

[EDIT] Oh, and why are the Daleks in Germany speaking in German? Surely they should be speaking Dalek, translated into the native language of anybody looped into the TARDIS's translation circuit? MAKES NO SENSE.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

On a serious note though, what the **** did the show do to deserve a powerhouse like Bernard Cribbins coming along and out-acting everyone in sight? ****ing hell man.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I've noticed you swear more and more as the new series goes on - at this rate, by the time you reach series 7, your comments will be nothing but asterisks.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

I swear a lot anyway, I think it's just the cumulative effect of being at this since February and knowing that I'm nearing the end. It stopped being a fun idea at around season 3 and it's essentially been a chore for quite a while now.
inflatable dalek

Brendocon 2.0 wrote: The Doctor's Daughter can still **** the **** right off and keep ****ing off until it gets back here and then can **** off again. Martha sodding Jones being an authority on Time Lord physiology when she's never even seen a regeneration can get right in the sea. And no Jacobi/Simm doesn't count because he was in the TARDIS when it happened and oh my ****ing god that's not even the worst of the episode.
Worst episode of the revival by far, still. By a massive margin.

WHY IS THAT GUY SO OLD WHEN THEY'RE NEWLY BORN CLONES ARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Silence in the Library is still pretty good, even if Moffat reused the girl isn't really a girl is actually in a computer VR thing for Asylum of the Daleks. Still surprised he hasn't found a way to bring back the vashta nerada.
They've done the "Realising something is wrong when you spot the scene transitions like you're a character on TV rather than living the bits inbetween" since again as well haven't they?
Turn Left. All good and WHAT IF-ish, but if the Doctor dies in the Runaway Bride then he never goes back to Pompeii and the world ends way back then so doesn't exist for the events of the Runaway Bride where he dies and oh look I've gone cross-eyed.
I do like how they take a lot of the jolly silly moments from the series (the Titanic...IN SPACE! Walking fat! Donna as someone who completely fails to notice terrible things happening right in front of her!) and just makes them really dark.

Midnight is comfortably my favourite of that year though.
Stolen Earth just makes me want to rewatch Torchwood, but only the scenes that have got Gwen in them. ****ing hell, why couldn't she just be the companion going forward.
Honestly, you might think the Eccles year has aged but it's got nothing on the first two years of Torchwood. Children of Earth is by far and away the best Who related thing Peter Capaldi has done though (mind, that's the problem, it's really a drama about him and John Barrowman keeps popping up!).

[EDIT] Oh, and why are the Daleks in Germany speaking in German? Surely they should be speaking Dalek, translated into the native language of anybody looped into the TARDIS's translation circuit? MAKES NO SENSE.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but the Daleks (presumably) don't have telepathic translators and--unless they're really resigned to it--they can't assume the Tardis will show up and do it for them so they have to learn the local lingo. And it's not being translated for Martha because...err... speaking German is her one talent?
Brendocon 2.0 wrote:On a serious note though, what the **** did the show do to deserve a powerhouse like Bernard Cribbins coming along and out-acting everyone in sight? ****ing hell man.
Oh God yes. He and Davros are the best thing in that two parter. If Catherine Tate tends to bring out the worst in Tennant (though oddly they both worked much better in the recent audios where you can't see her gurning) then Cribbins brings out the best of him, all their stuff together in End of Time is top notch.

Brendocon 2.0 wrote:I swear a lot anyway, I think it's just the cumulative effect of being at this since February and knowing that I'm nearing the end. It stopped being a fun idea at around season 3 and it's essentially been a chore for quite a while now.
With the new stuff I did find out often Christmas came round tiring, and that was just at one a day.
Brendocon 2.0

Post by Brendocon 2.0 »

inflatable dalek wrote:They've done the "Realising something is wrong when you spot the scene transitions like you're a character on TV rather than living the bits inbetween" since again as well haven't they?
Not sure. The Silence? How the Doctor figured all that out never really made sense to me before. Maybe it will when I reach it this time hahaha no sorry I can't even finish that sentence.
Honestly, you might think the Eccles year has aged but it's got nothing on the first two years of Torchwood.
Eh, Torchwood was largely crap the first time around. I just sort of meant that I want more Eve Myles.
Ah, but the Daleks (presumably) don't have telepathic translators and--unless they're really resigned to it--they can't assume the Tardis will show up and do it for them so they have to learn the local lingo.
The point's in the opposite direction, squire. They should be speaking Dalek. They're roaming the countryside shouting "exterminate" - why the **** should they care if the natives can understand that? They're not giving orders (as they were in Lahndahn), just commentating on what they're doing.