The Walking Dead [Please use spoiler tags, kthnx]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

The Walking Dead [Please use spoiler tags, kthnx]

Post by Sades »

New TV series based on the comic.

It's on now (North America), and it's pretty good. Tonight, AMC Canada will be showing it again (ep 2)in an hour, and again an hour after that.

Ep 1 is available on the AMC website if you missed it.
SPOILER! (select to read)
RAIN! HAHAHAHAHA!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

I just wish they would do more than 6 episodes at a time.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sades

Post by Sades »

Aw, never mind- rumour.

I was gonna post that they might expand into a 13 ep season, but I just read that was a rumour.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

:up:

I finally caught the first episode, had big expectations and for once, wasn't disappointed. Fairly faithful to the original material, although
the opening scene at the gas station felt very disjointed as a prologue to the first episode.

I like what they did with the guy and his kid and the mother, I don't remember that from the original graphic novel and thought it worked well as an emotional trigger.

Didn't skimp on the gore did it? Although it was CGI heavy, what's wrong with a squib?

Lot's of familiar visual refrences to Kirkman's stuff without being overly referential, i.e. shot for panel copies, over all done very well.

I think it's a bit of a shame it came out after '28 days Later' which has almost stolen a riff on it, as I'm pretty sure 'The Walking Dead' was written before? *shrug*

Gratuitous equine violence is always welcome, not since 'The Ring' remake when that horse took a nosedive of a ferry have I cried into my saddle bags.
Always wanted a 'Zombie' ongoing, most Zombie films always leave me wanting to know how, why, what and wtf happened to society, the aftermath is always cool, but a bit cliched due to market saturation, I like to know more about how it all escalates and the epidemiology of it all. So I'm hoping for some flashbacks.

That's why I quite liked 'World War Z''s style and how it charts the pandemic nature of it all, albeit with some dodgy national sterotypes.

Oh yeah and 'Zombieland' was totally over rated, barely raised a chuckle.
"Hey dumbass, yeah you in the tank..."
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Wildrider wrote: I think it's a bit of a shame it came out after '28 days Later' which has almost stolen a riff on it, as I'm pretty sure 'The Walking Dead' was written before? *shrug*
28 days later was 2002, walking dead 2003? Anyway, it doesn't matter. Is this the one with Andrew Lincoln in? I saw trailers and his accent seemed quite annoying. Worth a watch though?
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

MikeB wrote:28 days later was 2002, walking dead 2003? Anyway, it doesn't matter. Is this the one with Andrew Lincoln in? I saw trailers and his accent seemed quite annoying. Worth a watch though?
Ah you're right!

Lincoln's accent is convincing actually, not in the least bit jarring for me personally. He's light years ahead of Ewan MacGregor's perpetual shitness when it comes to accents for instance. I soon forgot I was watching Egg from 'This Life' in a stetson.

There's another UK actor in it at the beginning actually, black fellow, think he's been in 'Snatch' as one of the yardies and was in an excellent C4 series set in a prison. He was VERY good in it, likewise another faultless accent.

Definetly worth a watch if you have the FX channel, if you love a bit of zombie lore. Only one episode in, but promising.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think a couple of the bits two posts above might be due a spoiler tag, but I'm uncertain. It's not plot, but it's alluding to a couple of entertaining bits peeps might not want wrecked.
Wildrider wrote:Fairly faithful to the original material
Done up for TV by the guy who adapted the Stephen King novels for TV etc iirc. He's supposed to be pretty good, though I've not seen much of his work that I remember.

Have to disagree on Zombieland, but then I love Woody Harrelson in anything. And Bill Murray was fantastic fun, IMO. :)

For anyone interested, the first issue of The Walking Dead comic is online: http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline.php ... page=cover

pg 24 didn't load for me :nonono:
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Ah sorry just assumed the spoiler reference in the thread title gave me carte blanche to say what ever I liked! (Within reason of course.)

I don't know, I was entertained by 'Zombieland', but everything was way over hyped by the time I got around to watching it, there was a few smiles here and there, but it strayed too far over the line between comedy and horror for my liking.

Just an anti-climax of sorts, for the same reason I refuse to watch 'The Hangover' to be honest and the trailer for 'Due Date' is it? By the same crowd, just looks so unbelievably crass and unfunny, not a single funny thing on the trailer for me.

Horses for courses I guess, after all I think 'Meet Joe Black' is wonderful!

Don't poke fun. :(
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I've been enjoying it, but I can't believe how graphic it is. It doesn't bother me, but it's surprising to see on a non-premium cable channel.
Also, calling someone a ****** and then beating the shit out of him on basic cable? Mind-blowing.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Good ep, watching made a bit lame by comments of others in room.

http://www.newsarama.com/tv/walking-dea ... 01108.html
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

I didn't really give two shits about him in the comic, but Dale is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters on the show.

Thought this week's episode had some weird pacing, but it was much better acted than last week.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I'm liking Glenn. But then, he was fairly decent in the comics as well.
Too bad about his car... saw it coming, but still. His little car ride was a bright spot. I was glad when they killed the alarm.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Well I was almost a little disappointed with episode 2, introduced too many characters too quickly, nameless and pointless for the most part.

And then for one glorious moment, the whole episode changed and *BAMF* there was Michael Rooker talking the talk and walking the walk.

All of a sudden the episode morphed from mediocre to pretty awesome and the closing scene made me chuckle.
Sades

Post by Sades »

There's a marathon on AMC right now, it's about 10 mins into the second ep. Since there's only four to go, I may actually stick around for this one since I missed everything after the second or third ep. :swirly:

How ridiculous is it that the "first season" is out on DVD? Six eps? Pft.

[edit] they showed the first three episodes. They're showing the last three tomorrow.

This is no marathon! I want my money back!