Mp3 player battery life, better to pick up a smaller or bigger iPod?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Wildrider

Mp3 player battery life, better to pick up a smaller or bigger iPod?

Post by Wildrider »

I think I may have posted about the diminishing returns of my current IPod in terms of battery life, now I've been perusing some of the newer models, mine is about 4-5 years old. And they're promising 36 hours continuous playback?

Surely that's bollocks? So my question is, the little 2gb nanos for about 30-40 quid look nifty, but would require a lot of maintenance in terms of musical rotation, but ITunes makes it fairly easy to chop and change pre-sync.

Big or little? Or is there a hidden mp3 player with amazing battery life, decent storage and ITunes compatibility that I've missed?

Any ideas folks? What players does everyone currently use?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Can't speak for the iPod, but Philips claimed 30 hours for their tiny SA2620 that runs off one AAA battery, and my use seems to have borne that out (a few battery replacements a year, since I mainly listen to stuff whilst travelling. As a player they're cheap enough to be disposable, too, although I may look for something with more than a couple of gig eventually. Being able to switch in replacement batteries is a deal-breaker for me.)

A good quality rechargeable should get long battery life as long as the screen isn't on too much, so I can easily believe 30+ hours.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

Cheers, I may just have a look at them, would I have to change to Itunes or use their own software? I fear change, never mind I'll go and have a look thanks.

I'm starting to swear off Apple products for now, sure they're shiny and glossy, but I need practicality and considering my current Ipod lasts no more than 5 hours now on a charge if I just shuffle the contents, I'm after longevity.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://ita.sourceforge.net/index.html or
http://lifehacker.com/269105/itunes-syn ... p3-players ?

No special software required with Philips players, just drop folders of MP3s onto them. There are a couple of SA2640s on eBay at the moment (a 4Gb model, otherwise identical) -- I'll probably try to nab one of those if they end low, although I've already got a spare SA2620 in a draw. Like I say, they tend to be cheap.

One noticeable drawback of these is that they don't remember which album/track you were on when switched back on, but other than that I have no complaints.

What I'd really like is something that takes SDHC cards and has a good (non-inbuilt) battery life, but a card reader always introduces overhead.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I have a fourth-gen 8GB nano which I've just started using. It promised 24-h battery life for music; haven't really tested it on long trips, but it rides with me during the day in between destinations and I only have to charge it up once a week (usually not completely drained by then either, but I hate to run out of battery power in the middle of going someplace).

Another thing- I'm not entirely certain if cold plays a factor in battery life; I would assume so (and our temps usually reach around -17, -20 average a night), but I haven't really noticed any difference in performance yet.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Galvatron91

Post by Galvatron91 »

I have not been impressed with my 5th Gen Ipod Nano when it comes to battery life...my former Ipod Touch was much better, but my whore of an ex demanded that.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Depending on the quality of the MP3 file, my iPod Touch usually last about a week.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642