Black Eyed Peas are pretty boring, aren't they?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Black Eyed Peas are pretty boring, aren't they?

Post by Notabot »

We had decided that we were going to turn off the halftime show for the Super Bowl, but once it started we were drawn in with this morbid fascination of how bad it was. I've heard bits and pieces of their songs before, and it seems like anything more than a 15 second clip gets old and repetitive. They're pretty much just four people in silly costumes shouting cliche phrases to a generic beat. I've got nothing against un-deep songs that are just fun to listen to or dance to, but this is far beyond that.
And haven't they won a Grammy?
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Yeah, it was awful to say the least. Horrible sound system, autotuning sounded worse than it usually is, and I couldn't hear Slash play a damn note.
on the plus side, Fergie looked less like a man...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's not really sit down and listen music, it's good for when you're in a club dancing like a mook with a few beers in you but I can't ever really see any point in having an album to put on at home when you're by yourself and completely sober.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

I heard one of their songs on the radio today and I was impressed by how dull, cliched and boring it was. And I think it was a remake of something too, so extra points for not even being original. I really don't see the appeal.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The performers of "My Humps" shallow and repetitive? I won't have that. Heh.

My personal favourite is the one with robots in the video, for two reasons:

1) the desperate attempt to make Fergie look sexy. I think the damn thing tried to crawl inside my pelvis when she came onscreen. Most women have no effect on me. She gave me a negative boner.
and
2) outright admitting the other two blokes don't actually contribute anything beyond looking absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

They're like a hipper Steps. Oh, and does anyone know when R&B stopped meaning Muddy Waters, Rolling Stones etc, and started meaning poppy inoffensive rap-dance musc?
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Neuronutter wrote:I heard one of their songs on the radio today and I was impressed by how dull, cliched and boring it was. And I think it was a remake of something too, so extra points for not even being original. I really don't see the appeal.
That'll probably be "The time of my life", originally from Dirty Dancing. The original was bad, and the Black Eyed Peas did a really good tribute by making it worse.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I think I've heard a version of "Mas Que Nada" that people claim is theirs. It's just the original song, but they're talking over it. Bad Black-Eyed Peas!
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Shrapnel Clone wrote:That'll probably be "The time of my life", originally from Dirty Dancing. The original was bad, and the Black Eyed Peas did a really good tribute by making it worse.

Yep that was it. Somehow worse than the original.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Long gone are the days when they worried about songs like "Where is the love"
Or anything beyond the next "hit".

They used to be quite good...
moonbaseone
Protoform

Post by moonbaseone »

I use to like the B.E.P. back when they "My Humps", "Shut up", and "Let's Get It Started" was out. Don't really care for their new stuff.
"Till All Are ONE"

-Please visit FavoriteToons.com - your COMPLETE Cartoon Online resource for Toons, Anime, Transformers, and more!!!

By - Moonbaseone
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Cliffjumper wrote:Oh, and does anyone know when R&B stopped meaning Muddy Waters, Rolling Stones etc, and started meaning poppy inoffensive rap-dance musc?

Around the time you became officially old gramps.

I miss Steps. How have they not jumped on the bandwagon of 90's bands trying to do a Take That and failing utterly?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I prefer their Urbz versions.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

I was hoping Fergie would piss herself again and cause her suit to malfunction.
Clay

Post by Clay »

I read somewhere that the costumes were chosen so as to offend the senses of anyone that couldn't hear them. Seems about right.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Either way, they hurt both my eyes and ears.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

The human glo-stick dancers were pretty cool, but even that felt like a ripoff of the Beijing Olympics ceremonies somehow. I liked how every now and then one would turn a different color because their control box got bumped at the wrong time.

I also noticed that the "V" of their LOVE stage didn't seem to be as lit up as it was supposed to be. This, however, I shall not mock because I know it takes a ton of work to pull these things off, especially live, and this was a special stage built for one performance. The intermittent microphones, though, while merciful to the audience, are inexcusable. Whoever was running the sound board probably wasn't someone they had trained just for that night, and shouldn't have been nervous/overwhelmed by the crowd.

And, since I've wasted so many posts nitpicking a band I really don't care about, any Spearhead fans on the board? Michael Franti is a genius and seems like a genuinely cool guy.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

I'm not particularly into any Black Eyed Peas but iI do adore 'I've got a Feeling' when I'm at a party/club. It's just one of those songs which makes me happy.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I don't really mind them all that much. If they're on in a club or I'm at the gym, they'll do quite nicely.
That said, I wouldn't go ad far as to say I like them or that they're talented.

When I saw them at Glastonbury what looked like speakers turned out to be people in elaborate transforming robots costumes
I like bears.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

It's always disturbed me that they've become ultra-popular and hip hop groups like Jurassic 5 and Dilated Peoples get love from the fringes.