So...how much of a noob were you in the beginning?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The other thing I remember is the insane fuss made when any reference to Transformers made it into something mainstream - generic robots showing up in Wolverine, Tom Hanks on some chat show, BW figures in Fresh Prince, signs held up at wrestling matches. One thing that has changed that I do like is the way the thing is so much more prominent now than it was ten years ago... I've never liked the sort of elitism that can go with a lot of it, and it's great to talk to people in general about Transformerss and have people have some sort of response, and it's great to see the things selling so well to kids.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

The oldest post saved on my User CP says:
That Barricade is hideous. And he looks like a poncey (but angry) french nobleman
I'm fairly sure I've maintained that throughout . . .

Though I did start a hilarious but annoying argument about fembots not long after I started
I like bears.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Cliffjumper wrote:The other thing I remember is the insane fuss made when any reference to Transformers made it into something mainstream - generic robots showing up in Wolverine, Tom Hanks on some chat show, BW figures in Fresh Prince, signs held up at wrestling matches. One thing that has changed that I do like is the way the thing is so much more prominent now than it was ten years ago... I've never liked the sort of elitism that can go with a lot of it, and it's great to talk to people in general about Transformerss and have people have some sort of response, and it's great to see the things selling so well to kids.

I'm pretty sure you died at Unicron.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I remembered that after crazy live action movie high, I bought a couple of Marvel comics. Wikied it (Wikipedia, not TFWiki) and is frankly surprised by the intense cast and history of the brand.

One thing led to another, purchases were made, and I discovered that, WTF, there was an animated movie made 21 years ago! Shock.

I searched for a script, and stumbled upon the one in this site.

Things went from 'Coo, someone made a transcript!' to 'hey, they have a comic section!' to 'wow, someone went through all the effort to review and note down stuff in all the comics!' I then used TFArchive as my number one reference for comic reading, because, hey, there's a gazillion of continuity problems I won't get if not without Cliffy/Dalek/Denyer's guide. Three years later I am doing the exact same thing that impressed me in the first place, but for the live action movies.

Hopping from site to site, which includes the big ones (Seibertron, TFW, Transwikia et al) I found that the relatively laid back style and small community of TFArchive much more fun. Lurked for a good part of a couple of months before registering as a fresh noob. IIRC I participated in some basic comic and movie discussion, overwhelmed by the big posts the scary moderators make. I think the toy reviews and RPG were what sealed the deal and made me stay, though.

I did remember seeing Inflatable Dalek and thinking it is the most ridiculous interweb name I've ever heard. I still stand by my opinion. ;)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Blackjack wrote: I did remember seeing Inflatable Dalek and thinking it is the most ridiculous interweb name I've ever heard. I still stand by my opinion. ;)
Says the man named after an Micromaster nobody remembers.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:Says the man named after an Micromaster nobody remembers.
A Micromaster. A.

/dick
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Decided to do a search and actually found my very first post on these forums.

Judging from the way I delivered myself tho, I would have to say "not at all"; in fact, the only noobish thing I really did was succumb to hyperbole in my early reviews. Bloody new toy syndrome...

Actually, the stupidest thing I recall doing in the Transformers fandom period was on another forum where I raised a shitstorm over some botcon exclusives (namely, the Classics leftover seekers) and I was actually banned from the conversation - all of which in the end turned out to have been for nothing anyway since they were released on mass market years later!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

I started browsing this forum when I was before mid 30s. I jointed this forum when I was about mid 30s. Now I'm still here and passed mid 30s. Guess time didn't change me much. :) Only my knowledge about Transformers has been grown so much. So thanks to everybody here.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

I was a ****ing idiot.