So...how much of a noob were you in the beginning?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
NightHawk

So...how much of a noob were you in the beginning?

Post by NightHawk »

Perhaps I am making this thread due to boredom, or simply because I went through all my old posts....Five years ago, my god, I was such a freaking noob, lack of grammar, idiotic posts, use of smilies. Yeah, I'll admit it, I was an idiot back then, but hey...there were always worse *coughs thefallenone coughs*

So I now post this thread, inquiring how much you, the archivers, were noobs back in the days when you first joined this forum, or any forum for that matter. I think it is suffice to say, that a good number of older forumers feel somewhat ashamed of how they used to be. But that's good, we can see how much we have "grown" from then to now, how we improved...or perhaps, not have improved at all.

Do share your stories :P
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I was still in high school when I first joined, so yeah, I was pretty much an ignorant dumbass when I started out in the wide world of Transformers forums.

I'm pretty embarassed by a few of the really stupid, offensive things I posted back in '01-03, a few posts of which are saved for posterity in the Archived subforum of this board, much to my humiliation.

I've grown the Hell up since then, thanks to exposure to the real world as an adult, but most of my old posts recorded on this board are the ramblings of a stupid little high school kid.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I just went back to take a look at my first few posts. 'Enthusiastic' probably sums it up best. Whether it was annoyingly so probably depended on your mood and/or hangover at the time.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

When I look back, I'd say I've calmed down more. Not much else though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Back in the day I could say in twice as much what I take now that what others can sometimes take half as much in order to communicate the idea.

But, I'm getting better ... thank the Lord.

As for story's, not much but: my first signature (before I came here) was "Reason with me." which, I subsequently discovered, was a considerably less fun sig than "Standup Philosopher" to live up to. Admitting up front that, no matter how good/reasonable/nuanced it all may seem, it's still just good BS and only BS is very liberating...
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Hound

Post by Hound »

I've never been a noob here, I was here before all of you...

I lurked mostly when the board first started, I still do mostly.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I was a noob. It was over ten years ago. Ain't no shame in being young and stupid...

However I view being old and stupid as my hard-earned right.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

I was one of those shameful ones who tried to be Cliffy but lacked the wit to do so competently. I blame being in middle school at the time. Someone eventually called me on it, thank God. Looking back iver some of my old posts, there's a crazy different voice in my writing when comparing about the beginning of Cybertron to the start of Classics. I guess that's when I realized how grown people words worked and that the words on the screen were connected to real people.
Cyberman

Post by Cyberman »

Sixswitch wrote:I just went back to take a look at my first few posts.
Brave man.
I don't dare look at my past posts. I know I gravitate towards ignorance sometimes. Though I'm not sure if my first or later posts would be more embarrassing to read again.
In a perfect world, this would be a signature. As it stands, it's just the lack of.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I'm pretty sure I've always been awesome, right from the start. Though my first few hundred posts were mainly about Transformers, and I do seem to remember liking a couple of Armada figures first time around.

I have sabotaged one of my old posts, but that was only because it was being cited by the Waki, and I don't associate with sex offenders.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

This message has been scrubbed because it said something that could be taken wrong about a former forumite (and this forum won't let me delete a post).
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I'm pretty sure I was a yes-man noob back in the beginning. I take criticisms from everyone, even from the likes of Garzett or A1. Also had a tendency to shoot my mouth without thinking. (Not that I don't do that anymore, just not that often).

@ Cliffy: You awesome bastard. :up:
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sixswitch wrote:I just went back to take a look at my first few posts. 'Enthusiastic' probably sums it up best.
Mmm, ditto. Except the very early UBB posts are long-lost, apart from (IIRC) a few on archive.org...

As well as being young, the web itself was still pretty young. Simpler times. Not exactly before the Endless September, of course, but there was a big mass of people discovering that a) there was a lot more TF stuff than the West was aware of, growing up, and b) a lot more people with similar interests/memories to themselves. Even the word 'fandom' was a bit of a neologism in the broad sense it's used now.

Thanks for reminding me I'm old...
NightHawk

Post by NightHawk »

Denyer wrote:Thanks for reminding me I'm old...
You're quite welcome. :p
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I seem to recall that I spend most of my first few months here trolling. I think I figured everyone on the internet was an angry teenager, like I was.
Denyer wrote:As well as being young, the web itself was still pretty young. Simpler times. Not exactly before the Endless September, of course, but there was a big mass of people discovering that a) there was a lot more TF stuff than the West was aware of, growing up, and b) a lot more people with similar interests/memories to themselves. Even the word 'fandom' was a bit of a neologism in the broad sense it's used now.
That's a big part of how I felt, when I first got online and found places like this. When I Googled 'Transformers' for the first time, I expected to find a couple of real shitty Geocities sites and not much else. It was a real shock to see just how...organized Transformers fans were, and how many of us there were.

Finding out about the Japanese stuff and (especially) the UK and G2 comics was an even bigger shock. Getting the chance to read 'new' comics ten years after I thought it was dead was a huge part of what converted me from "hey, Transformers were pretty cool nostalgia" to being an actual fan.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I think my ratio of crap to good posts is pretty much exactly the same. I am as constant as the Northern Star!
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mmm, I really do miss a lot about Transformers fandom in ~2001. I could give a shit about wider fandom beyond this place, so don't care if Ace Face #1 posted all this at ATT, but I remember things being "found out" like the names of Battlestars and Operation Combination. I remember Liam Kavanagh explaining to me that the UK and US comics were totally different things, and that was why US#80 didbn't have the third part of Target 2006 in it. I remember Ryan, gawd bless 'im, posting Scramble City. I remember scouring myriad sites to compile a whole run of comic scans, including the rejoicing when Senex Prime posted scans of Action Force #27. I remember watching RealPlayer files of Headmasters, and using GetRight to download "Changing Gears" across something like four days from this place. I remember swapping VHS tapes of episodes with people, and the buzz when someone finally started doing CD-Rs of all 98, something like a dozen to a disc because they were all ~60MB (and Brend sending me all of Car Robots on a single disc!). I remember everyone having their own website, and writing their own fanfic. I remember Osku hunting down two pages missing from scans of The Enemy Within in full-on Ahab style.

While it's nice to have information on tap now, it's a shame in a way there's not really much interesting left to discover
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffjumper wrote:While it's nice to have information on tap now, it's a shame in a way there's not really much interesting left to discover
:up:
Hound

Post by Hound »

I just try to stay ignorant...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote:I just try to stay ignorant...
You're doing a bang-up job. :p