Ultimate Force is to Sharpe what Modern Warfare is to call of Duty

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
angloconvoy

Ultimate Force is to Sharpe what Modern Warfare is to call of Duty

Post by angloconvoy »

Yeah, the title says it all. The format, the theme music, the characters.
Just the period and, as a result, efficiency of the weapons changes.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Axe, is that you?

-Ss

PS: The reason I'm confused is doubtless because I don't watch Ultimate Force and haven't played MW or CoD. Having little knowledge of 3 out of 4 things in a comparison is never a good thing.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I love Sharpe.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

I'm actually a little surprised that anyone except me on this board likes Sharpe even a little. It's fluff, but it's good fun.

Did you ever se Ultimate Force? It's the reason Grant left Eastenders if I remember right. Then they had to pretend his fat brother Phil was hard so they could still use the plots they'd planned for Grant, but I digress.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I enjoy a bit of Sharpe, my Mother's a huge fan so I must have seen most of them. Couldn't tell you any specific that happened in them, but it's good background TV.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Oh, I can tell you. Sharpe got inexplicably promoted and then killed an impossible amount of bad guys (and once every three or so a major villain). I haven't seen the most recent few yet (bit hard to get hold of in Japan, legally or otherwise) but I expect he's Grand Admiral Emperor God King of the Milky Way by now.

Incidentally, Bernard Cornwell wrote a pretty decent novel about the battle of Agincourt. It was only after reading that fairly recently that I got into Sharpe, actually.

Edit: Also, to my mind, Sharpe feature the late Pete Postlethwaite's best role.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I understand that the latest adaptations are a bit odd because the books they're based on are prequels to the previously published ones but, because of Sean Bean's ageing, the films are forced to rework them to be set afterwards. Which, considering how the stories are usually based around specific historical battles means all sorts of jiggery pokery has gone on with the plots.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Big Daddy
Protoform

Post by Big Daddy »

I always used to wonder why the British had any other soldiers when they had Sharpe and his gang.