Osama Bin Laden Dead.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Blaster

Osama Bin Laden Dead.

Post by Blaster »

And the US has his body.

Huge news.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I was actually about to post this up. I'm really curious how he died though...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote: I'm really curious how he died though...

Reports are the CIA found him outside of Islamabad in Pakistan in a mansion. Fill in the blanks from there.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Predator drone, I believe. News is kinda sketchy at the moment.

Hard to be happy at anyone's death, but at the same time, pretty hard to be upset at his. Things are, I believe, better off with him gone.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Double Post:

http://thedailywh.at/2011/05/01/this-da ... the-day-2/

Eight years after "Mission Accomplished"... Mission Accomplished.

(Yes, I know. They refer to different missions. Don't be such a killjoy.)
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

Huzzah!
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I guess we actually killed him in that mansion. Good thing we did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

tahukanuva wrote:Predator drone, I believe. News is kinda sketchy at the moment.
US Navy Seals was the correct answer.

Obama just gave a stunning speech where he came off as an absolute bad ass too.
tahukanuva

Post by tahukanuva »

Navy Seals, robot planes, they're about the same level of totally bitchin'.

Pretty awesome speech, too. Held my attention the whole way, which is impressive since I space out when the person's right next to me more often than not.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Warcry

Post by Warcry »

This is great news, but at the risk of being "that guy"...al-Qaeda is going to turn him into a martyr and if they have anything resembling a functional infrastructure left we're going to see a spate of revenge attacks in the months to come. Thankfully they've had the shit kicked out of them for a decade now, so the odds of major successful attacks are slim.

Only a handful of people in each century truly change the course of history singlehandedly, but Osama bin Laden was one of them. I think it's fair to say that Osama was our generation's Hitler. Thankfully the conflicts that spun out of his actions were an order of magnitude less bloody that World War Two, but the social and political changes that came about because of him the world over are just as big. The world is a different place -- a better place -- without his spectre hanging over it, but it will take decades before we'll be able to look back and take stock of just how different the world is because of his actions. The death, suffering and prejudice he's called down on the heads of his fellow Muslims, combined with the ever-increasing fearful extremism in the right wing of Western politics have made the world more dangerous for everyone, and neither of those problems are going to disappear just because Osama's out of the picture. We're going to be struggling with them for years to come, long after his bones have turned to dust.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Warcry wrote: I think it's fair to say that Osama was our generation's Hitler.

Godwin's Law says: Post #11.

Though I guess if anyone would know who was like Hitler, it'd be you. :|
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blaster wrote:Godwin's Law says: Post #11.
Godwin's Law applies when someone says "that cop gave me a speeding ticket, what a Nazi!" or "people who like Beast Wars are worse than Hitler". Not so much when the person you're comparing to Hitler is responsible for a worldwide conflict that's claimed hundreds of thousands of civilian lives and has basically been looked upon as a global supervillain for the last decade.

Also, I'm fairly sure that there's a corollary to Godwin's Law along the lines of "if you point at someone else and say 'lol, Godwin, you lose!', you lose too".
Blaster wrote:Though I guess if anyone would know who was like Hitler, it'd be you. :|
Whatever you say, comrade. :)
Sades

Post by Sades »

Bah, squabbles. Let's not derail. The Hitler comparison was made earlier on CTV anyway. Did I hear right when they said that Hitler's death was announced on May 2nd? Warcry-i was gonna be "that guy" as well. To a degree. My comment was more along the lins of "so he's dead... Al queda aren't going to lay their weapons down and go "oh, shit! You guys win, I guess." I'm on my phone and typing out long posts is irritating. I refuse to correct my spelling mistakes.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Good ridiance. It would have been nice if they'd been able to capture him alive for trial, but at the end of the day the final result is the same. I look forward to the conspiracy nuts who've been saying he was dead for years to start claiming the FBI had his body in the fridge all this time and they just got it out.

Mind, whilst I can understand their elation, apparently people outside the White House were singing "We Are the Champions". Which seems strangely inappropriate somehow. "We are the champions of taking ten years, hundreds of lives and millions of dollars to hunt down and kill one man. Yep, nobody does that better than us, my friend".
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Sades wrote:Bah, squabbles. Let's not derail.
Any chance to associate Warcry with facism must be taken. It's a rule. I am pretty sure Brendan implemented it years ago.

Hitler's death was announced May 1st no? He died April 30th.

Ofcourse he was like Hitler. Insane ideals, charisma and power to try and make them happen. Like Hitler, with his death it won't mean an end to his ideals or, hell, even is organization. What it does mean is that organization will lose it's face. There is no more icon for al-queda to point too. No more draw. No more singular voice. Al-Queda had spent the past ten years getting the ever living shit kicked out of it, it's already fractured and splintered and now with no "guy" it will only get worse. They should never be able to coordinate another attack of the scale of 9/11 again. There might even be infighting as a new leader tries to fill the void. Will there be a push back in the short-term? Maybe, but in the long term this is pretty much it for Al-Queda as a world wide threat. It will continue to be a localized threat in the Middle East, but I just don't see them ever recovering to where they were. Especially since the US isn't going to let off the gas with a knife at their throat.
inflatable dalek wrote: Mind, whilst I can understand their elation, apparently people outside the White House were singing "We Are the Champions". Which seems strangely inappropriate somehow. "We are the champions of taking ten years, hundreds of lives and millions of dollars to hunt down and kill one man. Yep, nobody does that better than us, my friend".
The mastermind behind the largest and deadliest attack on US soil, and the man who forced them into atleast one war that has cost even more American lives was just announced as dead, and at the hands of American soldiers no less. While the song choice might not be perfect, you have to understand the elation that is rushing through that country right now.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Hmmm, I wonder if this will get Obama re-elected or not...
Big Daddy
Protoform

Post by Big Daddy »

At least those oil-wells in Iraq are safe now :)

No, seriously, fair play. Better late than never.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Gotta love Pakistan trying to big up their role by claiming it was a joint operation, whilst carefully ignoring the fact the world's most wanted terrorist has been living for at least a couple of years in a massive custom built compound right next to a big ass military base in their country without them seemingly (officially) noticing. I notice an Afghan official has been very quick to come out and say "Hey, we said they were hiding him all along! We never had him you berks".
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'd actually not given him much thought for the past 5 years or so, but you can't deny its a victory in some way.
Hopefully it will give Obama a much-need boost (people are going to have to type their names in the same sentence a bit now, look out for the inevitable typos . . .) and as a purely American achievment, Cameron won't be able to ride the walrus on this one.
Sades wrote:Al queda aren't going to lay their weapons down and go "oh, shit! You guys win, I guess."
Have you seen return of the jedi? In all seriousness, they must be pretty close to "defeat" now, in as much as this sort of thing can be defeated in the real world.
I like bears.