Osama Bin Laden Dead.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Tetsuro wrote:Indeed - and according to the news sources, he hid behind his women during the firefight.

A real ****ing hero right there.
I think it was his youngest wife too or something.
What a gentleman.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Warcry wrote:Did they? The impression I got from what I've been reading is that the SEALs were sent in with explicit orders to kill him.
They were sent in with the killing him as an option if capture did not look feasible.

The moment he grabbed a gun and shot back it was no longer feasible but I don't think they really expected it to happen.

An image clipped as they watched a sitrep of the operation in the White House situation room. Fascinating.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blaster wrote:The moment he grabbed a gun and shot back it was no longer feasible but I don't think they really expected it to happen.
Except, apparently, he didn't: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011 ... rative/?hp
The New York Times wrote:“In the room with Bin Laden, a woman – Bin Laden’s wife – rushed the U.S. assaulter and was shot in the leg but not killed,” the brief statement said. “Bin Laden was then shot and killed. He was not armed.”

Under questioning, Mr. Carney said that the White House stood by its claim on Monday that Bin Laden had resisted capture, but said that “resistance does not require a firearm.” Mr. Carney said that the new narrative was the result of “fresh” information.
There's lots of contradictory information flying around still and I'm not sure we'll ever have a clear picture of what happened. But I have to admit I'm curious how an unarmed middle-aged dialysis patient who can't walk without a cane managed to resist so much that they had no choice but to shoot him.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Warcry wrote:

There's lots of contradictory information flying around still and I'm not sure we'll ever have a clear picture of what happened. But I have to admit I'm curious how an unarmed middle-aged dialysis patient who can't walk without a cane managed to resist so much that they had no choice but to shoot him.
I think the US had a lot of things to consider when releasing the story. Did he die with a weapon in his hand, fighting for his cause? Then he dies a martyr and will, atleast in the short term, draw more people to his cause. If he died unarmed, perhaps people think he was hoping to get captured, like Saddam, afraid to die.

Then there's capturing him. You put him on trial and that trial becomes the single biggest target since 9/11. Killing him and tossing him off a boat were the best way to go about it in my opinion. No specific target painted.

The head of the CIA has just said that they will be releasing the death photo, the image of Osama with what is apparently a large hole above both his eyes for public comfirmation.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Big Daddy
Protoform

Post by Big Daddy »

Not to defend the piece of shit, but all this "He was hiding behind his wife*" stuff is a bit silly and ignorant, seeing as she was every bit as nuts as he was and probably doing her best to shield him. I know it's nice to think that Osama was a one-off supervillain piece of trash, but people are displaying enormous naivety to think he wasn't surrounded by lunatics with exactly the same views as him. I doubt Wifey was some nice girl from Afghanistan who'd fallen in with a bad crowd; she probably thought Osama was a hero for butchering thousands of unexpecting civilians at best. Again, this isn't a comic book, and people trying to portray him as some sort of exceptionally nasty piece of work are giving the rest of the Al-Qaeda way too much credit.

* EDIT: By which I mean those accusing him of being ungentlemanly or whatever... Though it seems like that whole side of things may have been misreported.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I like to imagine one soldier managed to get into his mansion after the rest of his team were killed and Bin Laden climbed into a big robotic suit and did battle, and the soldier managed to destroy the thing but only by a hair's breadth.

And since we'll never know the truth, I will continue to assume that happened.
I like bears.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

-two cents-

I don't know, I think Bin Laden deserved to die no matter what way you put it. Religion aside, the guy is a genocidal maniac. The minority that thinks he should get a trial, yadda yadda yadda simply just isn't thinking right. I mean, if 24 is any indication taking terrorists prisoner will simply raise more hell. Chances of Bin Laden escaping, of fanatics demanding his escape, of more bombing in exchange of Bin Laden's escape, and stuff like that. Bin Laden is like a figurehead, and if they don't eliminate him then the Al-Queda will have a chance to reform and stuff.

Putting him on trial? Puh-leeze. With the outcome beyond a doubt -- 9/11 isn't damning evidence enough? -- trial would again only cause more grief with more bombings and stuff and whatnot. Justice has been done and served, I say. He's going to be killed one way or another, shooting him like this saves us all the mercy.

Yes, Bin Laden probably didn't resist so much as 'I will blow this place up if you kill me' or something like that, or spout out some fanatical religious stuff, but hey, it isn't much to think that one or two of the Navy SEALs might have had a vendetta against Bin Laden. A lot of people died because of him, and if he was captured alive, there was this chance, no matter how slim, that he might not be executed and stuff.

Guy blew up the World Trade Center, I'm sure nobody was sending happy thoughts his way when they stormed his mansion.

Although how he managed to sneak in Pakistan (?) and hide there for years is a bit beyond me. The Pakistanis will be twiddling their thumbs and finding excuses for quite some time, I reckon...
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

As far as I'm concerned, they should have given his corpse the same courtesy those two Blackwater contractors received in Fallujah.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

There's some appeal to that, but that makes us no better than the evil that we're trying to fight. Guerrilla warfare and terrorism is so insidious because it tends to spiral out of control. It's hard to rise above it, and some would say there's no point in standing against it, but if we really want to end terrorism (idealistic, I know), we can't become terrorists.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Summerhayes wrote:I like to imagine one soldier managed to get into his mansion after the rest of his team were killed and Bin Laden climbed into a big robotic suit and did battle, and the soldier managed to destroy the thing but only by a hair's breadth.

And since we'll never know the truth, I will continue to assume that happened.
حياتي
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

we can't become terrorists.
Funding and supplying insurgents isn't exactly a new thing, so it's a bit late on that score.
it'll give his supporters hard time hating on an enemy who remains nice to you even after you try to kill them
Militant agitators tend more often just to mock institutions that underwrite protest activities; once you've sufficiently defined the opposition as corrupt, it becomes permissible and even honourable to use resources against the source. Exhibit A: Scientology.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's worth noting that him being unarmed doesn't mean they just walked into a room a shot him in the head straight off the bat. It was in the middle of a fire fight where the people around him all had guns and where it would have been hard to be completely sure he wasn't armed himself. They took no chances, and who can blame them?

If there was any sort of dodgy conspiracy going on, they'd have just planted a gun on him after death. Or hell, if they were that determined he wasn't going to come out alive no matter what they'd have just bombed the place.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Notabot wrote:There's some appeal to that, but that makes us no better than the evil that we're trying to fight. Guerrilla warfare and terrorism is so insidious because it tends to spiral out of control. It's hard to rise above it, and some would say there's no point in standing against it, but if we really want to end terrorism (idealistic, I know), we can't become terrorists.
But to defeat a monster, you have to become one. In other words, as long as we try to hold onto our values of honor or human decency, we can never win against an enemy who has none of those.

Keeping Osama alive would be the ideal solution, but the problem is, world is not ideal.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Keeping him alive would have probably been the worst option if only because of the legal nightmare it would pose and potential for increased attacks. Also pretty good that his body was dumped in the ocean to avoid giving his idiot sympathizers a spot to make a "holy" spot. It's only too bad we didn't use a gutted pig as his coffin.

Hey, remember that ****wit guy from Turkey who was going to marry his cousin and used to post about how he wanted to grow up and become a terrorist? He should come back now.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Sir Auros: he may not be able to if he got his wish.

That said, I kinda wish this POTUS was a fan of The Last Remake of Beau Geste (Marty Feldman's last movie) [/shows age] because if he was we coulda had a burial at sea on land too (cremated and then flushed) for OBL.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Sir Auros wrote:Keeping him alive would have probably been the worst option if only because of the legal nightmare it would pose and potential for increased attacks. Also pretty good that his body was dumped in the ocean to avoid giving his idiot sympathizers a spot to make a "holy" spot. It's only too bad we didn't use a gutted pig as his coffin.

Hey, remember that ****wit guy from Turkey who was going to marry his cousin and used to post about how he wanted to grow up and become a terrorist? He should come back now.
Cloudstrifer or whatever?
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Post by tahukanuva »

Blaster wrote:Cloudstrifer or whatever?
Assuming it's the same guy from this thread (who, if I recall correctly because I'm not reading that whole mess again, thought it was a-okay to blow up Dutch embassies because Mohammed cartoons were really offensive.), then yes.

EDIT: Danish. Whoops.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Blaster wrote:Cloudstrifer or whatever?
Hot dog, we have a weiner!
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Sir Auros wrote:Hot dog, we have a weiner!
I like hot dogs....

There I go again, de-railing my own thread.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

tahukanuva wrote:Assuming it's the same guy from this thread (who, if I recall correctly because I'm not reading that whole mess again, thought it was a-okay to blow up Dutch embassies because Mohammed cartoons were really offensive.), then yes.
Wow, that's vintage Ban Hammer worthy material there!
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"