Recommend some Wii games for me!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Recommend some Wii games for me!

Post by Warcry »

Like the title says. The wife wanted a Wii so that she could play 'workout' games like Wii Fit and some of the dancing games that they've got for the console. Since we've got the machine I figure I might as well track down a few games for myself as well. The console came with Wii Sports and Sports Resort and I snagged Super Smash Bros. Brawl* as well. I also fully intend to track down Twilight Princess as soon as I can, what with being a certified Zelda fanboy.

What else does the console have to offer? I have vague positive memories about Super Mario Galaxy, but it's been years since I've seen it. New Super Mario Bros. and the Metriod games are tempting too. I'm also a fan of sports games, but the impression I get is that none of the third-party sports games on the Wii do anything with the concept that Wii Sports didn't already do. Am I wrong?

In general, what games on the system have you enjoyed and which ones should I steer clear of?

*I enjoyed the first two but don't own either one, so I'm having fun with it. Still, I was pretty disappointed that Brawl doesn't seem to incorporate the motion-sensitive controllers at all in the gameplay. I feel like I might as well be playing the N64 or Gamecube games.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

Raving Rabbits (I think I got that right, they butchered the title down to rabbits party over here, its the rayman one) is great fun with a friend or two. The res evil games are nice on-rails shooters.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid: Other M are both really enjoyable. I also agree about Raving Rabbids. I wasn't all that impressed with Raving Rabbids 2, but 1 and TV Party are lots of fun. I haven't played Rabbids in Time.

Ghostbusters is fun and you can get it for crazy cheap right now.

I'd also suggest Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Great fighter game that you can do well in whether you are a button masher or you know exactly what you're doing.

I've heard good things about Super Paper Mario, and I really enjoyed Thousand Year Door on the Gamecube.

Lego Star Wars is great fun, and if you get the one with Episodes I-VI, you get a good deal of game for your buck.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks for the ideas, guys. :)
angloconvoy wrote:Raving Rabbits
What's the gameplay like on that one? I remember it getting really good reviews but not much else. It's a party game of some sort, right?
Notabot wrote:Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid: Other M
Trilogy has the two Gamecube Metroid Primes, rewritten to use Wii controls, right?

I have to admit I'm very curious how FPS games in general work on the Wii. With the motion sensor remote, you'd figure that would be one of the things it would do best.
Notabot wrote:Lego Star Wars is great fun, and if you get the one with Episodes I-VI, you get a good deal of game for your buck.
I've actually got this one for the PC (paid, like, $15 for it I think) and wasn't very impressed. I'm pretty sure that's because they did a bad job porting it, though, and I ran into a couple of spots where I simply couldn't get things to work on the PC when I knew that they'd be easy as pie if I'd been using a console.

Have you tried any of the other Lego games? Lego Harry Potter would be a big hit with the missus if it's any good...
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Lego Indiana Jones is fun. Indy doesn't have the Force, though. :(

Rabbids is essentially a party game, so each game has different controls to it. Controller and nunchuck karaoke, swing a cow over your head, guide neural activity through a brain, etc.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Twilight Princess is highly recommended, as is Metroid Prime 3. It's amazing what they did with Metroid! Metroid is a wee bit frustrating if you get stuck, though, so don't blame me for anything.

Lego Harry Potter is very fun, trust me. Even though I'm not quite a fan of the franchise...

Ghostbusters is amazingly addictive.

I've heard that the Final Fantasy game for Wii was good, but haven't tried it.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Warcry wrote: Have you tried any of the other Lego games? Lego Harry Potter would be a big hit with the missus if it's any good...
I've played them all except for Pirates. Each and every one of them was a blast to play, and they got my whole family involved.

As for other games:

Metroid Prime is a damned fine game that does a decent job and not only including the motion controls well, but also for pushing the Wii hardware. Looks and plays great.

The Transformers game is a decent Rail Shooter, not great, but decent enough to entertain.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl is great fun if you can get ahold of the classic controllers or Gamecube ones.

Wii Mario Cart is tons of fun, and you can get multiple people playing it at once.

Also any old Gamecube games that strike your fancy can be had for a good price and will work with the Wii, provided you have a memory card, of course.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ah, right! Transformers!

The first movie game was decent, but exactly the same like the PC or whatever other versions of the game.

ROTF is rubbish. Do not waste your money on that.

The dumbed-down WFC is between rubbish and sub-par. If the PC game was supposed to be modelled after God of War, the Wii game is modelled after Time Crisis. A terrible one, too.
Sades

Post by Sades »

DAAAAHHH!

I really liked Raving Rabbids.

I also really liked Link's Crossbow Training, but I kicked major ass at it and I'm told that it sucks by a bunch of people. I just assume that I'm right and they disagree because they didn't reach my level of excellence at it but you might not want to chance that.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Link's Crossbow Training was fun... but I suck at it. :(
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Twilight Princess is highly recommended
And already bought. :)

It's starting slower than previous Zelda games, but it's a lot of fun and I love how they've integrated the motion-sensitive controls and the pointer. They could do more than they did, but since its basically a Gamecube port I'm impressed by how well they integrated it. The new Zelda game coming out later this year is meant to take fuller advantage of the Wiimote too -- Swordfighting is apparently going to be on the same level as the minigame in Wii Sports Resort.
Blackjack wrote:Lego Harry Potter is very fun, trust me. Even though I'm not quite a fan of the franchise...
Shall have to track it down, then. It's bundled as 1-4 and 5-7, right? Is that the whole story, or did they split up Deathly Hallows the way the movies did and there's a Part 8 waiting in the wings?
Thunderwave wrote:Metroid Prime is a damned fine game that does a decent job and not only including the motion controls well, but also for pushing the Wii hardware. Looks and plays great.
Sadly they're not shipping the Trilogy game anymore. I'll have to try and track it down used I suppose. Other M is abundant though, and I'm sure I'll be giving that one a go some time soon.

On a tangent, I'm really happy that the Metroid franchise has gotten so much attention lately (well, I say 'lately' but really it's been a decade or so...). In the N64 era I was pretty much convinced they'd forgotten all about it.
Thunderwave wrote:Super Smash Brothers Brawl is great fun if you can get ahold of the classic controllers or Gamecube ones.
I don't have much trouble using the Wii controller for this one, although I was a bit irked that it didn't use the motion-sensor at all.
Thunderwave wrote:Also any old Gamecube games that strike your fancy can be had for a good price and will work with the Wii, provided you have a memory card, of course.
Just out of curiosity...are used Gamecube games and peripherals easy to find nowadays? If nothing else, I think I'm going to have to track down the Rogue Squadron games...
Blackjack wrote:ROTF is rubbish. Do not waste your money on that.
Maybe DOTM will be good? </false hope>
Sades wrote:I also really liked Link's Crossbow Training, but I kicked major ass at it and I'm told that it sucks by a bunch of people. I just assume that I'm right and they disagree because they didn't reach my level of excellence at it but you might not want to chance that.
I remember being underwhelmed by this one, to be honest. On the other hand, isn't it basically free if you're buying the gun peripheral it comes with?
Notabot wrote:Lego Indiana Jones is fun. Indy doesn't have the Force, though. :(
But he's got a whip. That counts for something, right?

I also grabbed Goldeneye purely on the strength of nostalgia for the N64 title, and so far I'm finding it very hard to tune the controls so that they're usable.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I actually bought a used Wii in order to get Metroid Prime Trilogy. Someone was selling the Wii, MPT, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and Twilight Princess for $150 on Ebay. I was actually in the market for all of the games but Galaxy, and they were each $50 at the time. I got luck and sold the Wii for $100 on Craigslist, kept the Wii-mote and nunchuck, sold the classic controller for $10, and kept the games. It turned out to be an awesome deal that worked out really well for everyone involved (especially me!).

(And congrats on getting your Jets back.)
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Mad World! Something about a Sin Cityish game to make the world a happy place. Also, if you get into that check out the No More Heroes series.
The bunnies, they give me knowledge it is neat.

The only necessity for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yep, I second Ravage on that one. Madworld is like a 3D Golden Axe, an ultra-violent Golden Axe. Great for having a mad runabout and performing the most bonkers attacks.

I'd also give a vote or ten for Pikmin and Little Kings Story.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

I'm too lazy to read what everyone else suggested, but my suggestions will either be the same or better, mostly better.

You want to buy the following for fighting games,

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Tatsunoko vs Capcom
King of Fighters Anthology
Samurai Shodown Anthology
...and every Neo-Geo fighter on the virtual console, but especially Waku Waku 7 and Fatal Fury 3.

For adult sort of action gory raunchy game get...
Madworld or No More Heroes and No More Heroes 2 (probably best game series on Wii)

Out of Nintendo's first party shit you want to get Metroid: Another M as it is the best. Also get Zelda Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, and New Super Mario Wii.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the new Goldeneye and Sin and Punishment 2 are also extra great on Wii.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Thanks! A lot of good ideas there.
Ackula wrote:Twilight Princess
...has absorbed 60+ hours of my life so far, and I'm not done yet. Cave of Ordeals, here I come! :)

I'm sort of disappointed that the gameplay doesn't offer much new on top of the Ocarina of Time formula, since that game was released thirteen years ago (how the **** has it been that long?). But even though it sticks to the old formula it executes it really, really well.
Ackula wrote:the new Goldeneye
How the bloody hell do I tune the controls for this? Either they're way too sensitive and the slightest twitch has Bond shooting at the ceiling, or they're not sensitive enough and his aim doesn't follow the Wiimote at all. I mean, hell, the aim in Zelda works perfectly and GoldenEye is a shooter...it shouldn't be this difficult. :(

Or should I just say "screw it" and use a Gamecube controller instead?
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Warcry wrote: How the bloody hell do I tune the controls for this? Either they're way too sensitive and the slightest twitch has Bond shooting at the ceiling, or they're not sensitive enough and his aim doesn't follow the Wiimote at all. I mean, hell, the aim in Zelda works perfectly and GoldenEye is a shooter...it shouldn't be this difficult. :(

Or should I just say "screw it" and use a Gamecube controller instead?
Get a Classic Controller with the dual analog sticks. Works perfect that way. Here in the US the game came packaged with a Classic Controller...did it not in the frozen lands of Canada?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It didn't, but then it wasn't full price either so the copy I got was probably from a later production run.

I have to say, I'm not sure I actually like the classic controller. It looks really awkward. And don't more than 90% of the Wii games that support it also have support for the much-superior Gamecube controller as well, whereas vice versa isn't true (you can't use the classic controller to play old GC games)?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

If you're going to spend money on a Classic Controller, get the Pro version. It's the same button layout, slightly wider and has GC controller style grips. Very comfortable in the hands and it's well worth the extra couple bucks.

I've had a Wii since launch day, so I'll second a lot of what people have already said (Metroid Prime Trilogy, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Smash Bros. Brawl, New SMB Wii, Twilight Princess, Mario Kart).

Some other ones to contemplate:

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition: All the good stuff from RE4 with all the bonuses from the PS2 version, with updated Wii controls. Since I played this one first and have since gone to playing RE5 on the 360, the 360 controls seem clunky to me.

Resident Evil Darkside & Umbrella Chronicles: Sure they're 'light gun' shooter games, but you cover all the storylines from 0-3, Code Veronica & some others, as well as filling some backstory and introducing some new story. I had a lot of fun with these.

Super Mario All-Stars: Collector's packaging, lots of fun gaming, though it's all just 4 Super Nintendo games slapped onto a disc.

Wario Ware Smooth Moves: Excellent party game. You'll feel completely stupid doing all the moves, but it's good fun and up to 12 people can play in the same round.

Hasbro Family Game Night: I was really suprised by this one. For board games, they are really well done. It's a good family game, and a little slower paced than jumping around playing Wii Sports.

Don't forget about the Virtual Console too. For a few bucks here and there you have access to a HUGE library of NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Neo Geo, and Arcade games.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

ganon578 wrote:Don't forget about the Virtual Console too. For a few bucks here and there you have access to a HUGE library of NES, SNES, N64, SMS, Genesis, Neo Geo, and Arcade games.
Or just hack your Wii and have a larger amount of classic consoles that actually play perfect and have upscaled graphics and don't look like shit, for free.