please, derail this thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

please, derail this thread.

Post by Sades »

This is sorta a game thread. Sorta. Okay, so it totally is.

Basically, I'm going to pick a topic to start, and I want to see three relevant, on-topic, insightful and interesting posts (at least 50 words or more) on said topic posted by three different individuals before a new topic can be chosen.

Third individual can pick a new topic after posting their on-topic post (or choose to stick with the topic at hand) *and* choose whether or not they want to make the first comment on the topic they've chosen (thusly becoming poster #1 on the topic) but that topic can be negated and a new topic chosen (only once) by either of the two who had posted on-topic posts beforehand. The previous rule kinda makes it obvious but I'll say it anyway- once a new topic is chosen or the third poster chooses to continue with the original topic, previous posters can post again.

Topic rules are as follows: play nice, keep it lighthearted and fun (the object is to have fun with it, not try to prove how smart you think you are) stay on topic when relevant, no images, no topics that are already in threads on the first page of this forum, don't post anything not "forum safe" and I reserve the right to negate anything I want to. :p

Oh, and while it isn't a rule per se, copying/pasting from wikipedia or the like is boring (creative rewording, ehh okay... Just don't do it all the time) so please don't do it. I want to hear people's thoughts.

Seems kinda convoluted... But eh. Also, when in doubt, make shit up.

Game is over when I say it is or the topic dies. Your starter topic is rubber duckies. Go!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Hmm, I never had a rubber ducky growing up. I don't know why. We had bath toys when we were little just not a rubber duck. Weird.

I do have a rubber Duck now though, it's a ninja. He is awesome, with it's ninja-ness and throwing stars. He's bad ass.

Got him at work because someone left it and never came back to claim it, mine now :)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not mine, a friend had one.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Pictures! Less than fifty words! Negated!

Um, I have a pirate duck. It's... Piratey.

I think this thread was dead in the water before it started tbh.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Well, is there anything more relaxing than laying back in the bath, your chirpy little friend being squeezed gently in your hands until a sense of deep satisfaction and contentment wells over you? Often it's the absolute highlight of my day, even if after several years heavy usage Donald, for it's traditional to give these things a little pet name, is looking the worse for wear and a little deflated.

Not mine, a friend had one.
Sure, a "Friend".

Next topic:

Should the Irish really be celebrating today that they built the Titanic? "Yay, we constructed that thing that sunk and killed a load of people (mainly poor Irish people as well).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Hound

Post by Hound »

So tempted to change the subject, but not going to use my only chance to do so... yet.

Um, well...

Technically it's not the Irish's fault that the thing sank. It was still a magnificent and beautiful ship.

It just happened into some bad luck mostly due to the arrogance of those who designed the thing.

I suppose the Irish have good reason to be proud they built the thing but, yeah, it's all wrapped up in a terrible tragedy too.
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Sades

Post by Sades »

My convoluted rule system didn't make it clear; its once every topic change. Oopsie!
Hound

Post by Hound »

That's ok, I'll wait. We can continue with this one...
inflatable dalek

This thread deserves some sort of award for somehow derailing itself in a completely different way to the intent. Awesome.

The best bit about the 100-years-since-they-started-building-the-Titanic coverage on the BBC was the man in the field, whilst talking about the sinking's influences, said "And of course, the 1997 box office champion and Oscar winner. Titanic". Glad you added the name at the end there mate, I might have confused it with that other Oscar winning film about the sinking of the Titanic from 1997.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Recently I saw a documentary where the cause of the sinking was -- again -- the subject.

Interestingly, it seems that brittle fracture in the rivets, and not the hull plates, may have been to blame. Apparently the rivets used may have included too many impurities (some are needed to make them workable on site without using extraordinarily expensive gear) which weakened them more than the designers had planned for (again, the problem was them being too weak rather than merely workable). In any advent, the problem was with the foundry and not the ship yard.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

One of the more bizarre and convoluted theories I have seen is that the Titanic didn't actually sink but instead was swapped for her sister ship HMS Olympic which had been damaged previously by collision with HMS Hawke and the whole iceberg thing was a massive insurance fraud perpetuated by the owners. The Titanic was in fact rammed by another ship, while she had her seacocks open waiting to sink, which had been sent out as a rescue ship , sinking her more quickly than planned.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Wow, lots to say about the Titanic, more than I thought there would be...

New topic: Pop Tarts

I've got some, they are strawberry filled with frosting on it. They are not as good when you have a lot of them to eat as they are when you only have a few.
inflatable dalek

When it comes to pop tarts, my loyalties remain to Cheryl Cole. America may have rejected her, but I'm no flim flam man changing my true love on a random whim.
Baxter

Post by Baxter »

inflatable dalek wrote:When it comes to pop tarts, my loyalties remain to Cheryl Cole. America may have rejected her, but I'm no flim flam man changing my true love on a random whim.
I suppose you like your Pop Tarts frosted and cream filled.

The chocolate ones are too sweet, and the Berry flavors end up tasting of cardboard.

The marshmallow filled ones are just too chewy, but frosted cherry does it for me.

All in all, I prefer Toaster Strudels and their delicious icing that I get to smear all over myself. I mean all over the Strudel myself.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Pop Tarts , student night at Sheffield University on a Saturday a mix of music from the 60, 70's , 80's and 90's and I suspect by now noughties. Cheap drinks. Cheesy guest acts , Sam Fox , Right Said Fred , Chas and Dave. non-stop-retro-pop going strong since 1994 The only club night that sold out within hours of the tickets going on sale.

As for the toasted types the joys of biting through a layer or cardboard before the semi molten filling burns the roof of your mouth.
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Okay, Pop Tarts... Because of my odd work schedule, I usually have breakfast and lunch at work (though I may be seeking to change positions at work soon, to a slightly tougher/more annoying one with better hours because... 5 AM on Mondays indefinitely?! Get rid of my 8 AM Fridays?? Arrrggghhh!!), and I usually bring Pop Tarts for one to two of those days. Not bad, if not over-toasted. Though I am annoyed that the unfrosted brown sugar stopped being sold, at least in my area, right after I tried and liked it... Still can get apple strudel from one area chain, though; just tried blueberry _muffin_, liked it pretty well....

Can the fifth person responding change the topic? If so - the late, the greatest, the Macho Man Randy Savage, ohhhh YEAH!! Favorite memories? He was my fave wrestler of all time; I think I partially liked him for being the anti-Hogan in that, unlike the "Hulking up", Mach SOLD injuries - REALLY well. And one of the greatest ever on the mike - just incredible. While I discovered him as a kid in his WWF days, I may actually have the fondest memories of his NWO time, when I was... hm, starting grad school already. Feuding with, and then joining the NWO. YouTube really helps bring this back... When he and Kev Nash split from Hogan, Mach was (breifly) heavyweight champion, and he declared the worst kept secret in the world was that he hated Hulk Hogan, and that no one "Not even the big Macho Man in the sky" could keep him from saying whatever he wanted on live TV.... He was just too awesome. Often imitated, never, ever will be duplicated. And he seems to have ben truly happy in the final years of his still-too-short life. RIP Randy. As has been said, there will never be another.

Or, if I can't change the topic, ignore that :o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]