Anarchy In The UK

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Anarchy In The UK

Post by inflatable dalek »

So, riots in London, Birmingham, Manchester (a friend in Salford has fires outside his window) and Wolverhampton. Something that started out as what was supposed to be a peaceful protest at a perceived (though by no means proven) police injustice and has become an excuse for lots of looting and setting fire to things for no good reason. Unless Boots has been the force that's actually be oppressing the people all along.

And on the other side, we have a Prime Minister who was obviously more keen to be seen to tip unhelpful Italian waitresses properly (and seriously, if you didn't think the service was good enough the first time round going back and giving a near 100% tip after she's moaned to the press just makes you look a useless flim flam man. Oh wait, it's Cameron) and doesn't bother coming back from his holidays till we're three days into it, opposition leaders just as bad and a Metropolitan Police who seem to be operating a policy of not actually trying to stop any of it that hard but take photos of people for later use. Which is no doubt of great comfort to the people who've lost their homes and businesses.

It's a truly bizarre situation to be in as it seems to have flared up from nowhere this week, with some genuinely harrowing TV images (did anyone see that massive furniture store fire by the roundabout? Staggering stuff). Complete ****s on one side (I think it's fair to say anyone trying to do a genuine protest has now given up) and inept officials on the other.

So, anyone here unlucky enough to be caught up in it?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not really. Can't give details without libelling employer, though.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

They should send in the army. The people now on the street are the lazy benefit-leeching ****s who put this country in the mess it's in, just out to steal - the shooting that started it is neither here nor there any more. Wipe the scum back into the gutters.

EDIT: Denyer, you get my PM?
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:They should send in the army. The people now on the street are the lazy benefit-leeching ****s who put this country in the mess it's in, just out to steal - the shooting that started it is neither here nor there any more. Wipe the scum back into the gutters.
I'd actually think the police using their full powers would be enough, I've no real idea why they're not going in with water canons and batons. There can't be anyone who seriously thinks there's any genuine protest going on here, and there were clips of the police testing just driving their biggest paddy wagons down a street in unison on the news this morning that showed most of these gits will run like rats if confronted with any sort of nasty looking resistance.

It is almost shameful to suddenly be in a situation where I've just gotten an Email from the AA people with a list of suggestions on how to surrvie Birmingham that make it sound like Basra (stay in the hotel at all times, if you must go out never do so alone...).

Though my Mother did get to finish work early as all the West Midlands (at least) job centres were shut down to let everyone leg it. Hopefully there won't be any trouble here though. I did genuinely walk past a large group of twats gathered outside the Town Hall who were talking about rioting but didn't seem to have very much clue as to how to do it. Or even if looting Kidderminster high street was worth it.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The police are undermanned and terrified to act - they take down some 16-year old thug who's about to firebomb a shop and he cracks his skull on the pavement, the liberal media will call them the SA. The police have been neutered by underfunding and wishy-washy media ponces who think criminals should have more rights than the rest of them. Criminals, which is what these people are, have no respect for the police as a result and see them as part of the game. Most of them, however, would piss their tracksuits and run at the mere sight of a bunch of squaddies.

Hardly any policemen are trained in water cannon, which is also best suited to mass marchers rather than breaking up sporadic groups. Deploying the things would be difficult logistically - the reason they worked so well in Ireland was because they were usually used against organised people who stuck together on streets.

TBH, if a couple of these scumbags get shot, the rest of them will disappear. Make no mistake, these people are cowards following a herd mentality.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:EDIT: Denyer, you get my PM?
Yeah, sorry, should be able to deal with stuff at weekend but will get back to you before that. Have sorted out box issue this evening.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Denyer wrote:Yeah, sorry, should be able to deal with stuff at weekend but will get back to you before that. Have sorted out box issue this evening.
No worries, just double-checking it got through okay.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Yeah, just heard about the rioting. From what one of my friends told me, apparently a black guy was shot by a police man and a bunch of minorities are acting up.
I'm sure there's more to the story than he told me, I'll look it up later. Jet Lag and all...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ice Shard
Protoform

Post by Ice Shard »

And Liverpool joined the rioting as of last night...Going through town today, it does look rather rugged =S
Sades

Post by Sades »

Some people are ****ing morons.

Keep safe, peeps!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Safe? If this kicks off in Winchester (unlikely, I admit), attacking these morons could be my last chance to die in a pointless, violent way before I'm thirty.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffjumper wrote:Safe? If this kicks off in Winchester (unlikely, I admit), attacking these morons could be my last chance to die in a pointless, violent way before I'm thirty.
Don't be silly. There's a thousand and one pointless, violent deaths outside your doorstep every day, just waiting! You need to see the whole picture, Cliffy.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Well, if you feel left out, and as most of these idiots seem to have the base level cunning to commute in too riot rather than smash up their own area, I could travel down, smash in a few windows, turn over a wheelie bin or two.

After not having heard from them since I booked with them about four months ago I had an new email from the Holiday Inn telling me how much they were looking forward to seeing me and how they were hoping I'd have a great time in Birmingham...
Sades

Post by Sades »

On AA- I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to make it down for that this year.
inflatable dalek

Sades wrote:On AA- I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to make it down for that this year.
When I was watching the news with some family last night they were deeply pleased that "You'll be well out of it, the Holiday Inn's a good way from the city centre".

To which I had to reply "It's in the other Holiday Inn, the one just down the road and a couple of minutes walk from where the police on TV are standing right now."

I am making this sound like it's all just about me, but it isn't of course. It just mostly is. I think the convention itself will be fine (well unless things get really bad), it's just going to be very bleak outside the hotel.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

It's all quite wonderful, isn't it? Mass looting and arson caused by the State not understanding that these poor innocent souls need love, too. Unrest caused by a deprived stratum of society suffering terribly oppression. A reaction to police evil.

So: anyone else pick up on the fact that a police marksman took the original guy down when perceiving a threat to a number of fellow officers? How many paddy wagons routinely carry marksmen, hm?

And none of the anti-riot police appeared to have a marksman with them, did they?

I had a day off work today and found half the city centre closed. It was a little creepy to walk through groups of young men being watched by police, especially as the Scraplets were with me and the Beloved. Apparently, some idiot Twitted that everyone should join the Leicester riot and shops acted accordingly to protect staff. No announcements to the public, though...

What do these pillocks have against Boots, anyway? Or are they looting Boots for medical braces, toothpaste and headache pills :p
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

I've heard about this and on another forum seen a lot of armchair common-taters speaking their peace (from 3500 to 6000 miles away, natch).

I hope everyone is doing okay.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Clay

Post by Clay »

Dogs and cats living together?
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

They act like they've won the World Series or something.

I've never understood the mentality behind rioting, either as protest or in celebration. Especially in celebration. Smash and burn a bunch of stuff owned by people who have nothing at all to do with whatever you're protesting/celebrating? Just doesn't make sense to me. I know it's kind of a primal release or something like that, but I can't say as I've ever found myself thinking about tipping over a car to make any kind of statement.

I totally agree with Cliffjumper about the cowardice factor too. Most of them are out there because they can be, assuming that they're completely anonymous in a big crowd, and they can do anything without real repercussions.

And I also wonder what exactly you do after a riot. When do you decide you've had enough and it's time to go to bed? What do you tell people at work the next day? Do you brag about it to your non-rioting friends and family, or do you keep it quiet so nobody turns you in? What is proper riot etiquette?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's worth noting that by this stage, it's nothing to do with the protesters, immigration or the shooting of Mark Duggan. This is now just a group of people who've seen they can go out and loot/riot with the police struggling to stop them, and get some free stuff out of it.
So: anyone else pick up on the fact that a police marksman took the original guy down when perceiving a threat to a number of fellow officers? How many paddy wagons routinely carry marksmen, hm?
Ones that operate in areas where there's a high likelihood that criminals are carrying firearms - which Duggan was (the debate is over whether he fired it at police or not; I forget the law that says criminals are allowed to shoot police officers before they can shoot back). It was a planned arrest by a police unit that are part of an anti-gun taskforce, why wouldn't they take armed back-up?

Well-cited summary - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Engla ... ark_Duggan

Judging by early reports, it seems like it was a quieter one in London last night. In fact, by the sounds of it there've been anti-looter militias out in Southall scaring the shit out of the scum. TBH, the Premier League's threat to delay the season will have put a lot of would-be rioters off.

Inspired by Shaun of the Dead, I have a cricket bat ready by the door on the off-chance Winchester gives me a chance to go out and club some benefits cheats.