Thank Blue Skies, this is the only place on the internets with no mention of Whitney Houston's death!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Thank Blue Skies, this is the only place on the internets with no mention of Whitney Houston's death!

Post by Sades »

Oops.

There's an opening for you to make your Houston joke, Dalek.

Who wants to start a celebrity death pool?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I had genuinely forgotten she existed until it was announced, which is a bit mad considering just how big she was ~20 years ago without just being a random fad. The Guardian obit claims she influenced Mariah Carey and Celine Dion; thanks for that, love.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/fe ... intcmp=122 - I never get that. I can understand - especially now it's all downloads - fans picking a song to get it to #1 as a tribute, but who goes out and buys someone's back catalogue when they die? Especially if they're not a complete unknown who, say, suddenly gets a lot of media coverage because of the way they die - Houston's already apparently sold 170m records.

Dead pool wise I fear very much for Bowie, actually - he's been incredibly quiet and inactive since his heart surgery, which would suggest to me that his health is on the decline. :(
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I find it interesting that none of of the people on Facebook who had a go at Amy Winehouse for daring to die without having been One Of Our Boys haven't done the same with Houston. Apparently dying a crack whore is only a bad thing if you're not good enough to manage it for thirty odd years.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Oh, that's why there were a bunch of WH stories down the side of the Daily Mail website and I keep hearing "and IIIIIIIIIIIII will always love you" from downstairs then...

(On the DM thing -- was reading some bullshit technology article. As if there's any other type in the Mail.)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

**** Houston, O'Reilly off of Fawlty Towers is dead. TBH, though, he looked about ancient in that.
RIP O'REILLY OFF OF FAWLTY TOWERS
1781-2012

Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I sometimes feel sad for the oldest actors who had bit parts in The Young Ones. I think my favourite is the old lecturer who cracks a parrot joke to Baz in 'Nozin' Aroun' in the very first episode.

Sad in that they're probably not around anymore. But absolutely brilliant in that they were willing to do some completely off-the-wall humour in their twilight years. I hope I can do that when I reach their age. Heroes.

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

While it wasn't very off the wall, I always get a bit like that watching Dad's Army - it's pretty sad looking at it and thinking that pretty much the entire cast are dead.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

On a more upbeat note, in conversations on another board a few people worked out that season 2 of The Avengers is probably the oldest series where the entire regular cast is still alive (though I was surprised to find out Doctor King was still with us. He looked barely alive in the show). So that can be watched safely without too many sad thoughts. Well, as long as you don't start thinking about the guest actors...

Patrick Macnee is actually looking surprisingly sprightly for a 90 year old:

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Aaw, Bowie better not bloody die.
I'll admit, I didn't know most of WH's songs were hers until now. She was quite good, wasn't she?

I saw Waiting for Godot in bath a while ago. Patrick Stewart looks old but he always has. He's probably only about 26.
I like bears.