Suggest me a ****ton of stereotypical wedding music

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Suggest me a ****ton of stereotypical wedding music

Post by Cliffjumper »

Right, we're sorting the music for the wedding that's going to happen... Apparently the DJ won't play exactly what I tell him to but will take suggestions. He'll also take a list of songs we don't want to hear, so if you kind people can just list all the stuff you've heard at weddings so we can make sure we've excluded all the tired old Love is All Around/Birdie Song/Abba shite I'd be terribly grateful.

We're not going out of our way to be esoteric and ironic with the music, we just want to avoid some of the really terrible stuff that's likely to make me punch grandparents.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

The Grease megamix. <shudder>
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Build Me Up Buttercup. Mainly because people seem to miss the fact it's a song about rejection (or at worse, stalking, she's already let him down but he's still going on about her). We actually have evil zombie toy Valentine's Day dogs that sing this for sale at work. Makes me glad I'm single.

Might be best to avoid We Have All The Time In The World as well unless you want to send out the subconscious message you want your bride to be killed by an evil ginger midget woman after the wedding.

I always thought The Best Is Yet To Come would be a good 'un to have the first dance too.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Angels by Robbie Williams
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Shout by the Isley Bros seems to always make the cut, though its not one of the sappy romance songs.

Unless you like that thing where everyone on the dance floor jumps up with their hands in the air, of course.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://www.weddingmusicsamples.co.uk/songs/reception/

Plus most of what's on the School Disco .com series of albums.

I'd vote with Abba and much of the cheese, though, and not just from liking some of it. Keeps people happy and then you don't have to see most of them again for a very long time.

Unless you go the other way and get a mate with gear to do the music, which might be preferable to some tosser who doesn't grasp the "employed by" deal.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

---> KURT
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Outstanding work minions fellow board members.

We're not planning to really force much down people's throats because, yeh, it'll just kill the atmosphere - Station to Station's the greatest album ever made, but it's not going to help anyone have a good time.... We did want to just plug an MP3 player in, but apparently paying 3 Tetsujin 28s to rent a couple of small rooms for an afternoon doesn't cover that sort of thing. Our venue liason person is lucky she's an incredibly attractive Russian.

We've nominated a list of ten songs we want played: -
  • David Bowie – Young Americans
  • Yazoo – Only You
  • Ramones – Baby I Love You
  • Blondie – Call Me
  • Dusty Springfield – I Only Want To Be With You
  • Madness – It Must Be Love
  • The Damned - Eloise
  • Scissor Sisters – I Don't Feel Like Dancing
  • Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill
  • Cure – Love Song
And apart from that just don't want anything either of us outright hate played - cheese is fine, Birdie Song/YMCA/Jamiroquai style novelty shit not so much.
inflatable dalek

No love for Stan Bush's Greatest Hits album?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Oh yeah, the Touch is just what I want to see relatives and in-laws trying to dance too.

I wonder if I could get Sadie to walk down the aisle to Unicron's theme...
inflatable dalek

Hound wrote:Oh yeah, the Touch is just what I want to see relatives and in-laws trying to dance too.
I suspect you respective families would spend most of it standing around looking slightly confused at one another and going "What is this song?".

Actually, Stan would probably be available to do the disco at both your weddings, in exchange for some meths.
I wonder if I could get Sadie to walk down the aisle to Unicron's theme...
A friend got took up the aisle (nudge nudge, wink wink) to the Imperial March from Star Wars. It didn't last.

Though we can't do a thread mentioning Stan Bush without linking to that video. Perhaps all three of the band could come do the wedding? Stan, Clive Anderson and Uri Geller:

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

We're having Tsuki No Mayu for the aisle, my one musical concession to my geekiness.

Helped by the fact it's a ****ing epic song anyway.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Right, we're sorting the music for the wedding that's going to happen... Apparently the DJ won't play exactly what I tell him to but will take suggestions. He'll also take a list of songs we don't want to hear,
First thought is to fire the DJ. I mean, seriously? Tell him that you won't pay him exactly what he asked for, but will entertain suggestions for his fee.

Anyway, Led Zeppelin's Thank You is a pretty standard rock'n'roll wedding song.

But really, how can you not have listed this? :)

Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I've been limited to one Bowie track because otherwise it would have been about 30 - all of the Young Americans LP plus associated outtakes, Stay, Changes, China Girl, Let's Dance, Modern Love, Word on a Wing, Never Let Me Down, Heroes, Be My Wife, Sweet Thing, Thru These Architects Eyes etc...

So I've limited myself to just the best one.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

some suggestions from me ...

sebadoh - flame
curve - no escape from heaven
jesus jones - right here, right now
fatboy slim - praise you
dee lite - groove is in the heart
betty boo - doin' the do
adam and the ants - prince charming
siouxsie and the banshees - peek a boo
goldfrapp - number 1
sugababes - whatever makes you happy
girls aloud - love machine
art brut - formed a band
louis xiv - finding out true love is blind
Sades

Post by Sades »

We are considering cheaping out and just using an MP3 player or asking a friend to do the DJing. We are probably going to be super-duper poor for awhile, and I think my hair will start falling out closer to the date because I'm not entirely certain how we're going to pay for everything.

Hon... Unicron? The planet-eater? My brothers will kill themselves laughing. :p I'm sorry but nooo... not that one. Other instrumental tracks from the movie, maybe.

A search for "stereotypical wedding music" turns up some surprisingly good results, including this thread... I'm going to have to browse them. I may also steal a couple of songs from this thread, because I'm unoriginal will also need the help. :o

If we could play that video somehow, I'd want Sam's Theme in there... no one but a handful of peeps will get it but the guitarist's face and the splooge-sprays get me LOLing fer real every time.

(Sorry I've not been much help, Cliffy. I can be much more helpful once Hound and I are able to sit down and start listening to/listing off song ideas.)
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Apparently there are copyright problems with us just using an MP3 player, which I personally read as their in-house DJ will sulk if we do that. As I say, any hard bargaining in this regard is greatly undermined by me being very much in love with our co-ordinator.

Like I say, I'm wary of playing four, five hours of "our music" at people who I know for a fact won't like it for one reason or another. It's going to take more than having Dee D Jackson played at them to turn my family into space disco fans. It's not worth killing the atmosphere dead so I can show the content of my YouTube favourites playlist off to a bunch of friends and relatives; without any offence to anyone, the idea of picking a vast number of punk tunes would feel a little bit like being a 14-year old blasting the Pistols out of my bedroom when my parents are watching the Antiques Roadshow downstairs - cod-antisocial attention seeking.

It'd also put us in the same bracket as these twats who complain the charts are full of rubbish instead of Radiohead or Arcade Fire or whatever shit Q and the Guardian are telling them to listen to who seem unable to follow that pop music is pop music because it's popular, and most people know who Radiohead are and just don't like them.

We're very conscious that both sets of parents have handed us a blank cheque for the whole thing, and doing something bratty to hamfistedly state Our Individuality wouldn't really be a nice thing to do. Hence a smattering of suitable favourites (my one real concession is I wanted the Damned in there somewhere as I've been waving the flag for 20 years, long before the critical re-evaluation, and feel like they're "my" band), and then a general brief for the DJ to do what he does for a living, i.e. get people dancing and having fun, as long as nothing we outright hate comes out. No objection to Lady Gaga/Katy Perry/Justin Timberlake style pop, even if it's not what I'd listen to elsewhere.

Other thing is I never realised how many of my favourite artists seemed to write almost exclusively about break-ups and the like. "Got to have some Nick Lowe in there, how about 'I Knew the Bride when She Used to Rock & Roll'... no, wait..."
Sades

Post by Sades »

Wasn't going to suggest a bunch of crap that no one/only a few people would know. I agree that boring people to death would probably be a bad thing...

I think the safest thing to do would be to go "whatever is currently popular/has been recently popular on radio and is event appropriate" for the bulk of it, and then sneak in the occasional bit that you two want played.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:Wasn't going to suggest a bunch of crap that no one/only a few people would know. I agree that boring people to death would probably be a bad thing...
Apologies, didn't mean to say you were - when we first realised we were going to do this we had the idea of "Oh yeh, Metallica Adverts Jack Off Jill PiL Prodigy KLF Pistols that Lou Reed album that's literally just noise" before common sense intervened.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Cliffjumper wrote:Apparently there are copyright problems with us just using an MP3 player, which I personally read as their in-house DJ will sulk if we do that.
Can't speak for Canada, but they're likely to be over-simplifying to sell it as an extra or give the job to a friend of the venue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_DJ ... _in_the_UK

Basically a DJ needs a performance license and to own copies, so by starting with someone with a reasonably modern and broad library stray tracks can be bought digitally to suit.

edit: Recommendations for JOJ asides from Hearts/Flowers?
edit2: Nevermind, apparently they never actually actually released much + cheap copies on various sites, going to spread bet...