Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Cardcaptor Sakura: Collection 1 and 2, Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt, ET special Edition and Futurama Season 7.
Destruction is my specialty
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Offa my Crimbo presents:

Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Blu Rays. 15 discs. Which sounds impressive, until it turns out 9 of the discs are DVD's. Is there any sane reason the extras aren't on Blu Ray? Any extra cost of pressing them would have been more than countered by being able to get the extras for each film on just the one disc (considering how much they managed to fit on a Blu Ray for the Alien Anthology Extras getting three DVD's onto one blu ray should be easy). It's odd that the films are still spread over two discs because the real dedicated cini-philes want the best possible picture quality, but there's an assumption that the same people wouldn't want the extras in HD as well.

Dad's Army: The Complete Collection. Never seen the B&W episodes before, the first season is a bit odd as it's more serious (swearing!), has an arc and basically feels like an extended version of the film. It's amazing how fully formed the characters are from the off though.

Cliffy might know this, but was the print of The Battle For Godfrey's Cottage that got recovered edited in some way at the end? Hodgeson (still un-named and only on his second apperance) suddenly materialises in the middle of the room and seems to be in the middle of a sentence.

Red Dwarf X: The documentary makes it seem amazing that the show wound up as entertaining as it was, I suspect the one producer won't be back.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

During the Boxing Day Sales, I bought The Shield Complete Boxset, Total Recall (both the original and the remake), Comic-Con: Episode IV - A Fan's Hope and Pokemon Season 14: Black and White.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Hey, I'm posting in this thread because I got a DVD recommendation from another thread and just bought it off of Amazon.

"The Stone Tapes". I'd never heard of it before, but it sounds good and I'm kind of running out of haunted house and ghost story films. Been having to scrape the bottom of the barrel with things like "The Sentinel" and "The Legend of Hell House" (still has a better Michael Gough performance than any of the Batman movies).

Also grabbed "Fantastic Planet" since I've been looking high and low for older, more offbeat animated films. Many of the flicks I've been looking for aren't in R1 ("Felidae", "Robot Carnival"), and I'm trying to save "The Plague Dogs" as a last resort because there's a 100% chance it'll make me cry like a baby. I've heard a lot of positive things about "Fantastic Planet", though, so I'll give it a go now that it's been marked down to $9 bucks.
inflatable dalek

Now I'll feel bad if you don't like it.

As a word of warning if you're not familiar with old British TV is it's shot on multi-camera video rather than single camera set up film, some people find that distracting.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek wrote:Now I'll feel bad if you don't like it.

As a word of warning if you're not familiar with old British TV is it's shot on multi-camera video rather than single camera set up film, some people find that distracting.
Does that mean it has that "soap opera" or "home movie" look, if you know what I'm getting at?

Not a dealbreaker by any means, if so. Like I said, I feel like I've seen every haunted house movie of value ever made, so I'm always excited to find something "new". I'm getting so desperate I may have to resort to the Paranormal Activity sequels (loved the first one but have heard not-so-good things about the sequels).
inflatable dalek

Yeah, that's the style. With the odd exception (of things usually made with American sales in mind) video was the preferred means of doing Brit TV into the '90's. The original Quatermass' were shot on tape as well but no longer look it due to the original masters no longer existing and the telecini recording being all that's left.

Neverwhere probably marks the tipping point in changing attitudes as the tape look, which would have been perfectly acceptable a few years earlier, was ruthlessly mocked by every critic and probably helped kill it more than anything.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Ah. I vaguely remember noticing that some British show on the Sci-Fi Channel in the early 90s looked like that and thinking it was "a British thing". Maybe it was Doctor Who (the one with the scarf and the curly hair), but I was real young and didn't watch a lot of it, so I may be misremembering.

All I remember is that I hated it as a kid. Some episodes of the Twilight Zone were shot like that and I'd always change the channel when I noticed it was "one of those British episodes".

It doesn't bother me so much anymore, though I did go out of my way to see The Hobbit at 24fps instead of 48fps because the latter looked "like those old British sci-fi shows they reran in the 90s".
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, The Zookeeper, and Total Recall (2012) all on Blu-Ray. A Vincent Price triple feature of Tales of Terror, The Pit and The Pendulum, and The Raven on one DVD.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

Rommel
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Universal Soldiers Trilogy: Universal Soldier/Universal Soldier: The Return/Universal Soldier: Regeneration, The Expendables 2 and Get The Gringo.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Ashes To Ashes series 1.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I got Lockout, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, Naruto: Shippuden - Collection 12, Mass Effect: Paragon Lost and Resident Evil: Retribution.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Recently picked up the R2 Beast Machines sets for a few quid off amazon, having sold all my R1 discs for space. Nice to be able to watch the series on the big telly :) just wish Beast Wars would get a region 2 release sometime...

ooh! and I also bought Cocknies Vs Zombies 'cos it sounded awesome. and has Michelle Ryan in it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

The Passion of Joan of Arc from the Criterion Collection.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

The first & second series of I'm Alan Partridge, and a copy of About a Boy for a girl I know who watches the crappiest of romantic comedies. Figured if she must do that then at least watch one of the best examples, like this. Plus it has some awesome Badly Drawn Boy tracks.

And it's probably Hugh Grants best film by a country mile. I think he's ace in it.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns part 2 on digital download on PS3.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Dredd. Wish I'd been able to find it on Blu-ray, but the regular DVD version works fine. Grud, I love this movie.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Claymore Complete Collection.
inflatable dalek

Dredd. Considering it needs to good business on home video to walk away from its disastrous cinema run with some dignity they could have done a bit more to sex up this release, unexciting extras and a poor choice of back cover quote (with the generally positive reviews the best they could use was one comparing it to the Stallone version?).

Brought it a while ago but got round to watching An American Werewolf in London. With it iconic, stunning, memorable scene that I'm sure many a teenager wore the tape down watching back in VHS days.

The first transformation sequence of course. What bit did you think I was talking about?