Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Arrow: Season 1 Blu-Ray
Arrow: Season 2 Blu-Ray
Arrow: Season 3 Blu-Ray
Arrow: Season 4 Xbox One Digital Download
The Flash: Season 1 Blu-Ray
The Flash: Season 2 Xbox One Digital Download
Legends of Tomorrow Episodes one and two Xbox One Digital Downloads

I think these DC live action TV shows, along with Supergirl, are everything that some of the awful live action and animated movies aren't: fun, dark without making one suicidal, hopeful, optimistic, and actually are better than their comic books. The shows' creators get what makes these characters so cool in the first place. Plus there is some really good guest casting including: John Barrowman, Alex Kingston, Mark Hamill, Clancy Brown, Dean Cain, Brandon Routh, and Micheal Ironside.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego DC: Cosmic Clash - Also includes a Cosmic Boy poly bag.
Destruction is my specialty
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Star Trek: 50th Anniversary Remastered Complete Original Series Box Set: finally. I'd gotten the first season when they released the Remastered ones on DVD, but seasons 2 and 3 never showed up around where I was living at the time. I went back to buy a new phone(Yay! Tax Refund!), and they had the whole series.

Run Lola Run on Blu-Ray.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Spectre Blu-Ray Steelbook - 007 movie starring Daniel Craig, of course, Lea Seydoux, Christoph Waltz and Ralph Fiennes.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Volumes 7-9 - This finishes off the 80's/90's cartoon series.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I got The Piano, Dune and La Dolce Vita for free from a shop today. "Just pop a few coins into the charity collection tin", the guy said.

They were originally films given away with Newspapers, so just the little cardboard sleeve and the disc. I got Metropolis this way a few months ago.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Some good stuff on some of 'em, isn't there? Netted me Dunkirk, Paris Texas, the remake of The Big Sleep, the original Godzilla and a few other bits from them before; shame it's gone out of fashion a bit. La Dolce Vita alone would probably set you back a tenner in CEX.

Hopefully Dune's the non-extended one... The extended one does add a bit of useful info back in but so much of it is obviously unfinished footage.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Yes, definitely. I picked up Paris: Texas too a long time ago, probably the same one as you have. Looking through a DVD case of all the ones I’ve picked up for free or at the most 20p, the list is:

Time Bandits
Highlander
The Fabulous Baker Boys
Dune
Cyrano De Bergerac (Gerard Depardieu version from the early 90’s)
A Handful of Dust (Alec Guiness’ last film?)
Death of a Salesman
The Killing Fields
Le Dolce Vita
Glengarry, Glen Ross
In the Mood for Love
Fried Green Tomatoes
Talk Radio
East is East
The Madness of King George
Metropolis
Le Rayon Vert
Paris: Texas
A Private Function
Bagdad Cafe
Like Water for Chocolate
… and those two albums that Prince released and gave away free with a copy of The Times.

For next to nothing, that is a hit rate of quality titles. I remember it kicking off with East is East and being amazed that a film could come free with a paper. I’ve always been semi-on the lookout since then.

I really hope they do a few more, I’d love to find My Beautiful Laundrette or Plague Dogs, or Forbidden Planet that was on BBC2 this morning. I also have Airplane, but I bought that before it came free with a paper. I know two guys who would put that hands down as their favourite film (fair enough, it is brilliant).
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

X-Men: Days of Future Passed, Rogue Cut just came yesterday. It was only $10 on Amazon, and I haven't seen this version yet.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

I just got the Criterion Collection version of The Gold Rush, Equilibrium, The Silence of the Lambs, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., and the original version of The Evil Dead 1 all on Blu-Ray.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Finally gotten around to sending off the email for the replacement season 8 X-Files blu ray discs. Hopefully not left it too late (though surely they have to allow for people taking a long time to get through the preceding 150odd episodes?), annoyingly I no longer have the card sleeve with the barcode on which they apparently want. Pics of the set and my receipt (which apparently they want anyway) will have to do.

Luckily the picture being a bit too dark isn't an insurmountable problem for the X-Files.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Hunger Games, The: Mockingjay - Part 2 - The final act in this popular Young Adult book to film adaptation. Stars Jennifer Lawrence, Julianne Moore, Donald Sutherland and in his final role, Philip Seymour Hoffman.
inflatable dalek

Sole Survivor:

Unexpected blu ray release of a 1970 American TV film staring Captain Kirk offa Star Trek and Admiral Nelson offa Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea in what is basically a Twilight Zone episode (the true life story of a WWII bomber being found in the desert that inspired this was even a similar source of inspiration for a TZ!) extended to three times its length.

This should in theory mean its quite padded out--and you you're told pretty much what every twist will be by the first scene--but some top performances from Shatner (who is amazingly restrained, especially considering how poor his performances towards the end of Star Trek were. Considering this must have been filmed right afterwards--it has a '69 copyright--it's also amazing how drastically his hair has changed as well), Baseheart and the actors playing the ghosts keep it enjoyable.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

I got both Blu-Ray sets of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and it's HD remaster looks awesome.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Superman Motion Picture Anthology (1978 - 2006) - Includes all the live-action movies from the Fleischer/ Famous Studios 1940s Superman cartoons, the George Reeves Superman and the Mole-Men movie as well as the four Christopher Reeve movies as well as the expanded cuts for the first two and Brandon Routh's Superman Returns.

Beware The Batman Season 1, Part 2.

Arrow Season 3.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:I got both Blu-Ray sets of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and it's HD remaster looks awesome.
It's a shame that in spite of getting their hands on the HD remaster of Zeta, they still couldn't make the effort of getting the rights to the original songs as well.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

As my kind of desperate search for cheap copies of the first 2 Captain America movies continues(worse comes to worse, I can rent them before Civil War hits), my wandering through the used DVD store netted me something quite unexpected:

The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection- A 6 DVD set of the first 5 Marx Brothers movies featuring the 4 Marx Brothers, Groucho, Harpo, Chico, and Zeppo -The Cocoanuts, Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup - although given how little Zeppo is showing up, I'm wondering why they didn't just put all the movies in.

In terms of Marxian chaos on film, Cocoanuts is definately the first one. Groucho's very first scene, he doesn't look really at ease. By the end of the movie, he's fully the Groucho we're used to. Although it also might have been exhaustion. Apparently they were filming Cocoanuts by day and performing Animal Crackers by night.

In terms of restoration.... Well, I don't know about Monkey Business, Horse Feathers, and Duck Soup yet, but Cocoanuts is probably in the worst shape.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

According to my tracking number, my pre-order of The Force Awakens on Blu-Ray should appear tomorrow. :)
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Tetsuro wrote:It's a shame that in spite of getting their hands on the HD remaster of Zeta, they still couldn't make the effort of getting the rights to the original songs as well.
I just both sets of Zeta Gundam and I liked the instrumental music probably more than the songs for the original series (which got annoying after a while). Overall I liked Zeta Gundam, it's not perfect and Kamille was all over the map at times, and I like that it's implied that he went insane at the end of the war.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Galaxy Quest, possibly my way to give respect to give respect to the late Alan Rickman. Also, stars Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver and Enrico Colantoni

I also pre-ordered The Force Awakens steel book, although I don't believe the Blu Ray is going to sell out at all, but what ever.
inflatable dalek

Quantum Leap season 1 on Australian blu ray (because Australians love Universal TV shows apparently. You can get Seaquest season 1 as well if you're a sicko). As expcted, the pilot is still one of the best first episodes of anything ever. Pleasingly the picture has been spruced up a bit from DVD, most notably the copious 1950's stock footage the pilot depends on isn't nearly as jarring despite still being variable in quality (sometimes almost clean, sometimes still scratchy but not as scratchy as it was before).