Movie Franchises You've Seen Most of at the Cinema.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Movie Franchises You've Seen Most of at the Cinema.

Post by inflatable dalek »

A veeery specific and slightly OCD question, but what the hey...

Due to man flu it's going to be another week before I can go see Skyfall, which is annoying but did make me think this will be the sixth Bond film I've seen at the flicks. I've always thought it was kind of a shame I never saw Goldeneye as then I'd have the whole "Modern" (or Judi Dench) era under my belt.

So which film series do you always make the effort to go see (note again at the big screen, else Cliffy's DVD binge will fill up this thread) regardless of critical reviews or expected quality?

I've seen the last six Trek films, all four Paranormal Activity films, the last three Friday the 13th sequels/remake, and- to my shame- All three Matrix films.

The Trek films are the ones I've a special fondness for though as they're the big family all get together and go guaranteed event films. As a poor family (tiny violins) we never used to go to the cinema all that much as well, so I've got very strong, happy memories of going to see VI because it was a rare treat.

Bond comes second, though oddly the females in my family have only been guaranteed to come along as well since Craig was cast. Odd that.

Conversly, despite really liking the first I never found the time nor inclination for the three Pirates sequels. Even all these years later- and despite having the first trilogy on DVD at one point- the second is still the only follow up I've seen at all.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

Probably the recent Marvel [studios] films and all the post Burton Batman films. Probably seen everything Generations onwards for Trek, I say probably as I remember so little of Insurrection that I can't be sure. Toy Story is probably the only trilogy from the last 22 years of cinema going that I've seen the entirety at the cinema and for a good while I thought that the Pirates of The Carrib was actually a film version of Pirates of Penzance so couldn't fathom the appeal.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Tied first place for Transformers and Star Wars!

So I saw all three live action TF films at the flicks, and for Star Wars I saw RotJ, Episode I and III.

If the '97 CGI'd up editions of Star Wars also count then I need to include A New Hope and Jedi again. Sci-fi films do look rather ace on the big screen, Independence Day for example, and Jurassic Park was rather jaw dropping too.

[Edit] I saw Goldeneye at the cinema. It looked the business, even if it appears decidedly ropey on TV now e.g. that decidedly bouncy tank he goes around in near red square.

I think I'd have loved to see all the Lord of the Rings films, never saw one as I thought they'd be crap!

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I'm not a big moviegoer, honestly. Unless I've got someone to go with who's really excited about seeing the thing right away I usually just wait to watch something I want to see until it's out on video. So my list is probably shorter than some others.

That said I'm pretty stoked for Skyfall too, even though Quantum of Solace made so little of an impression on me that now I can't even remember what happened beyond the "we have people everywhere" scene.
inflatable dalek wrote:The Trek films are the ones I've a special fondness for though as they're the big family all get together and go guaranteed event films. As a poor family (tiny violins) we never used to go to the cinema all that much as well, so I've got very strong, happy memories of going to see VI because it was a rare treat.
Hmmm...in spite of being a big TNG fan when I was a kid, and in spite of my parents liking it as well, we never went to see Generations in the theatre. I've been to all the ones since then, but First Contact was the only one I was at all excited about. Insurrection, Nemesis and especially the reboot I went to out of a sense of obligation more than anything -- figuring, "well, I like Star Trek so I should see these, right?" I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed the reboot, so I'm actually looking forward to the next one for the first time in a long time.
Auntie Slag wrote:I think I'd have loved to see all the Lord of the Rings films, never saw one as I thought they'd be crap!
I've seen all three of these in theatres too, and I'll probably go to see the Hobbit films too.

I did go to see several (most?) of the Harry Potter movies, but I wouldn't count those because I went with my wife. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near them on my own, since all of the movies bar Deathly Hallows were dreadful and made no sense after 90% of the plot got cut out in the process of trying to squeeze it into a two-hour movie. Having not read any of the books, I didn't find the movies engaging at all.

Other than that, Transformers is the only other thing that comes to mind. Oh, and the recent Sherlock Holmes films too, but there's only been two of them so I'm not sure that counts.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Auntie Slag wrote: If the '97 CGI'd up editions of Star Wars also count then I need to include A New Hope and Jedi again. Sci-fi films do look rather ace on the big screen, Independence Day for example, and Jurassic Park was rather jaw dropping too.
You know, I can't remember if I saw those or not... I think I may have gone to the first one and waited for the rest on DVD. I did see all the prequels as I went with a friend who really, really, really loves Star Wars (he saw The Phantom Menace about six times. These days he wonders why).
[Edit] I saw Goldeneye at the cinema. It looked the business, even if it appears decidedly ropey on TV now e.g. that decidedly bouncy tank he goes around in near red square.
Yeah, you can tell it was done a bit on the cheap (the model work is less convincing that in Moonraker 16 years earlier). Though compared to the '80's films it's a huge leap forward. It looks like it was made tweny years after Licence to Kill rather than six. There's a similart jump between the last two Trek films.
I think I'd have loved to see all the Lord of the Rings films, never saw one as I thought they'd be crap!
I didn't see the first for similar reasons, but did go to the next two. Though I suppose only Two Towers counts as I fell asleep about two and a half hours into Return.
Warcry wrote: That said I'm pretty stoked for Skyfall too, even though Quantum of Solace made so little of an impression on me that now I can't even remember what happened beyond the "we have people everywhere" scene.
It's not a film that stands up well to repeat viewing, I enjoyed it at the time but subsequently it just gets stupider and stupider. Who makes a hotel out of explodinium?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Transformers.

Um...the marvel avengers films? I've seen everything from Ironman 2 to Avengers, just missing the Hulk and IM 1 movies.

Saw 2 out of 3 Nolan Batman films...

And the three newest Star Wars films [not so sure about EP II, though, but definitely the other two].
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Usually, going to the movies is simply too expensive for me to justify. I can easily afford it, but I simply can't rationalize spending $25 or more (accounting for the wife) to see a movie unless

(1) I really really want to see it,
(2) my wife or friends want to see it as well,
(3) it's an action movie that will benefit from the big screen, and
(4) it doesn't star Colin Farrell.

Not that many movies fit that bill. In the last 5 years, I've only seen the following movies in theaters:

Transformers 1-3 (twice for each)
Spider-Man 3
Batman 2-3
Flight (dragged by in-laws, but a great movie)
Ninja Assassin (awful)

That's it, 8 movies in 5 years.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm young and hip, and have lots of disposable income so I've seen all the major sci-fi and action releases of the last few years. I never miss a superhero film, and thanks to the missus, I've seen the last three Twilights.

To actually answer the question, for me its probably Transformers, in that I've seen them all so many times. If we're talking separate films in a single franchise, I've seen 4 each of Batman and Spider-man. Oh! And if you count the special editions, I've seen 6 Star Wars films on the big screen.

I feel like a bit of a dick saying all that.
I like bears.