So... PS4 or Xbox One?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

After reading about the Xbox One (pre-owned game fee, mandatory Kinect, needs an internet connection to function and it's non-indie developer friendly) I'm probably not going near this one. We have a 360, there's plenty of awesome games for it out there already. Assuming we have the disposable income at some point, we're probably going to either buy a PS (depending) or possibly a computer with decent enough specs to play games on (woot ESO).
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Sades wrote:After reading about the Xbox One (pre-owned game fee, mandatory Kinect, needs an internet connection to function and it's non-indie developer friendly) I'm probably not going near this one. We have a 360, there's plenty of awesome games for it out there already. Assuming we have the disposable income at some point, we're probably going to either buy a PS (depending) or possibly a computer with decent enough specs to play games on (woot ESO).
Well I think Microsoft really botched their presentation and gave confusing information on all of those topics. I just read a great article on IGN about this last night (I'm at work so I can't hyperlink) but it talked a great deal on this subject.

I don't like the way they have put off these pre-owned game fees at all. Great, I can borrow the game from a friend but I still have to pay for it? Absolutely dumb. How does word of mouth spread about software? The whole game-fee deal will surely kill Gamestop, Gamefly, and mom-and-pop game stores on the Xbox end. I hope Sony stays away from that model all together.

Regarding the internet connectivity, they way I understand it, the reps and execs from Microsoft don't have a clue how it connects. Some say it needs to be constantly online. Others say it only needs to connect once every 24 h or sooner. What the hell is going on at MS that they can't get the message straight? And what about people who don't have a reliable or fast internet connection? Is MS just going to shun those people as customers?

And I'm surprised at the lack of Indie-dev support since XBLA games have been such a smash hit for the Xbox. That's just an idiotic move all together.

All of this makes me very timid to buy a Xbox One, and I hope they can get all of this straightened out at E3 and change their business model for the better. Their press conference didn't even cater to gamers, who are the core audience that tuned in to see the damn thing to begin with. After essentially dominating the 360/PS3 generation, are they just getting cocky and complacent? Bad move. Just ask Nintendo and poorly selling Wii U. Lightning doesn't usually strike twice.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Microsoft's antics about used games, the kinect requiring you be online and connected to their servers ALL THE TIME, etc., pretty much guaranteed that I'll NOT be getting at least that console. I'll just get all their good games on PC and have done with it.

I haven't seen enough about the PS4 to make me consider it one way or the other yet. Right now, I'm hoarding all the RPGs and strategy-centric games for the PS3 since I expect a glut of shooters and derth of anything else for some time once the PS4 launches.

As for what console I'll get soon? Probably the Ouya for light gaming.
Addl
Protoform

Post by Addl »

I do not own and do not want a console, as I am only a PC guy, but even there I have so many games left in my shelf to play one day... Finished an old classic Baldurs Gate last year and am now doing System Shock 2.

... So decades behind anyone, but I spend roughly 2h per week on gaming, only on a Friday or Saturday night (no work next day), if not going out and wife and child is in bed.
... But the last te I touched SS2 is 3 weeks ago, as just now I am in a taxi from airport from 2 weeks of business trip, so I am embarrest to even say gaming is a hobby....

... Welcome to the life of an adult with kids...

Maybe I will buy my daughter a console one day, whichever brand will be top at that time.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :clap: Isch bin dabbei! :up:
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

By that time, it'll be the XBox negative 3.12
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Already preorder my Xbox one. And before anybody says I'm stupid... Yes I'm a Microsoft fan but I do own a Ps3 a vita and a wii u. I'll get a ps4 eventually but I gotta have my halo first and foremost. As for the DRM and used games, I'm always online anyways and I never buy used games. I understand why people like them but they are the reason we are not getting a Psyconauts 2 or Alan Wake 2, as the used to new ratio was like 5/1 at one point. Great games like those get hurt because of used games and that's why I personally don't buy them. Now COD or any activision or EA game i dont care cause they are swimming in money.

Sorry off topic kinda but I wanted to explain to avoid any possible backlash. Also side note people, the ps4 DOES NOT come with the PS camera it's listed separately on GameStop.com for 59.99 USD. Just thought I'd spread the word on that so everybody knows.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

You are stupid.

Just kidding. Had to say it since you put out the disclaimer.

I still won't be preordering or getting a new console on day 1 just for money reasons, and the fact that my 360 and PS3 are still relatively new to me. That said, PS4 is looking pretty strong to me after E3. I do fancy the Xbox brand for the controllers and ease of XBL, but it just seems that Sony is catering to gamers really hard right now, and that makes me happy.

Most likely I will end up with both of the new consoles at some point in the coming years, but that's a long way off.

BTW, another off-topic subject, how do you like your Vita? I don't have the finances to get one at the moment, but I have been contemplating getting a new handheld and I can't quite decide on Vita or 3DS. I love Nintendo games like anything Zelda and Mario 3D Land, but the Vita just looks so slick. And if I ever get a PS4 in the future, there's the cross-play feature that is appealing. The higher price and Sony-only memory sticks are the only things that make me think of getting a 3DS instead. Thoughts?
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I LOVE MY VITA!!! Nuff said! ;) but... my touchscreen is very wacky sometimes I have a huge dead zone where it doesn't register sometimes the whole screen doesn't register and I can't get past the unlock screen. I have another friend who has had one a week longer than I have and he's never had that problem. This is the ONLY issue I have with it. Otherwise I highly recommend it. But the library of games is not the biggest in the world but unless Microsoft comes out with a handheld I'm not parting with my vita for a long time. Hope this helps.
And as for the memory sticks they sometimes go on sale. I picked up my 8gig for $20 when I got my vita in march last year at target. If you find one cheap I suggest nabbing that sob and running for the hills with it in glee! :P
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Right now I would go with the PS4 just because it costs less.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Question... I'm selling my band instruments and ill be getting $1,000 for both hopefully. But what I'm stuck on is should I go all in with Xbox one or preorder a PS4 as well and only get one game each. I've already got over $100 on my one so paying it off is first and foremost and the ps4 only has one launch game I'm interested in that isn't multiplat, killzone shadowfall. I don't give two craps about knack or drive club and I don't think the order 1886 is a launch title and I know inFAMOUS second son isn't. But all the first party titles for the one Ryse, forza 5, dead rising 3, and kinect sports rivals, really interest me. And yes I really do want kinect sports as I've had so much fun from the first 2 with friends and I want a see just how accurate this new kinect is. So my choice is both systems and just one game at best for each or 8 games for Xbox one. Half my friends are telling me to go one way and the other half the other way, so I decided to go to a third party for help. And no canceling my Xbox one isn't an option. :p
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

If you're not interested in the PS4 launch titles there's no reason to buy it at launch other than bragging rights. It's not like they're going to stop making them after six months, right? Besides, if the One has a lot of games that you want to play right away, by the time you burn through them all (and all the ones that follow) and are bored enough to want to check out the PS4, the MSRP may have dropped.

Though the PS4 and One both look to have a much, much stronger library at launch than the Wii U did (or, frankly, than it does now six months after launch).
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Thanks a lot! :) I was thinking the same but I've two friends who really like the PS4 and they were trying to get me to cave to peer pressure. Between the four of us, I picked the one first and the other co-founder of our clan followed me. Another picked the ps4 first as he can't connect in his dorm and the one will be useless to him. And the last is so torn between them both he literally has no clue what to do. We're a very mixed bag of consumers. And yeah I hear ya on the wii u... I only have 4 games 2 of which are multiplat. That's one reason I'm loving the one so much, as there is no shortage of games even on day one. It's honestly the best launch line up I have ever seen!

On a side note more ps4 info today. Remember how you get drive club ps plus edition free with ps plus? Well turns out its not the full game it's a free-to-play model where you only get a small portion of the content and must pay for the rest. To bad it wasn't the full game as that would be a huge selling point, but I completely understand why it not. Why would anybody pay $60 for it if they could buy ps plus for $50 and get it for free? Especially since drive club needs ps plus for online anyways.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Xbox One currently has the more enticing exclusives for me, but the way in which they've set up pretty much everything else REALLY puts me off. The latest of which is the head guy (can't remember his name or title) saying "if you don't have internet, get a 360".

I had a friend try to argue with me about the Xbox price, he was constantly going on about how it's more expensive because you get Kinect with it. My whole reply revolved around "yeah but I don't want a Kinect, so the price is bollocks"
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

CounterPunch wrote:Xbox One currently has the more enticing exclusives for me, but the way in which they've set up pretty much everything else REALLY puts me off. The latest of which is the head guy (can't remember his name or title) saying "if you don't have internet, get a 360".

I had a friend try to argue with me about the Xbox price, he was constantly going on about how it's more expensive because you get Kinect with it. My whole reply revolved around "yeah but I don't want a Kinect, so the price is bollocks"
That would be Don Mattric, (not sure of spelling of last name) and his exact quote was. "We have a product for people who don't have internet, it's called the Xbox 360" And honestly that's not a "screw you" statement like most people make it out to be. They proved this year they are still supporting the 360 and have no plans to stop doing so for a few years at least. So in consumer terms he basically said: "if you like our brand but don't have Internet and don't have a 360 yet pick one up its a great system and will be around for a long time to come." I never read that as a "middle finger" to people who don't have Internet, and when you think about it the 360 will live for at least 3 more years and by then a bigger percentage of the world will have Internet. Hell I live in Alabama, the one place in America that always gets crapped on, and I can get up to 50mbs in my area and I'm at least 40miles away from the closest major city. If us "shotgun owning, tractor driving, idiot rednecks" can get good Internet the rest of the world can't be far behind! So honestly I don't see anything wrong with his statement, sure it seams bad to people who don't have Internet but by the time the 360 is no longer in stores chance are if you don't have Internet now you will by then. And the 360 is by no means a bad way to wait out the time until you do. Plus all major multiplat games for both new systems are coming on current gen this year anyway. Again as I said before this is if you want to get into the Xbox brand because you want to play the games you missed out on, if your just looking for a new system to play offline by all means go ps4 cause that ain't half bad either! Both systems are going to be amazing in their own ways, so really it comes down to what it should, what games do you like the most. I mean games are why we buy these things right? So I'm glad these issues came up as it turned our eyes back to what matters most... Games! :)
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Question... I'm selling my band instruments and ill be getting $1,000 for both hopefully. But what I'm stuck on is should I go all in with Xbox one or preorder a PS4 as well and only get one game each. I've already got over $100 on my one so paying it off is first and foremost and the ps4 only has one launch game I'm interested in that isn't multiplat, killzone shadowfall. I don't give two craps about knack or drive club and I don't think the order 1886 is a launch title and I know inFAMOUS second son isn't. But all the first party titles for the one Ryse, forza 5, dead rising 3, and kinect sports rivals, really interest me. And yes I really do want kinect sports as I've had so much fun from the first 2 with friends and I want a see just how accurate this new kinect is. So my choice is both systems and just one game at best for each or 8 games for Xbox one. Half my friends are telling me to go one way and the other half the other way, so I decided to go to a third party for help. And no canceling my Xbox one isn't an option. :p
I completely agree with Warcry on this. Just go all in on Xbox One. Obviously you already like the Xbox interface, Live, and all the exclusives and launch titles. You may as well enjoy the hell out of it until you get bored and the PS4 price drops. Take it from me who only got my 360 and PS3 about 2 years ago: I have both systems with too much to play on each, and I have to split time to enjoy it. I'd almost rather just have one or the other, but I have separate friends on each system that I play online with on occasion.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:That would be Don Mattric, (not sure of spelling of last name) and his exact quote was. "We have a product for people who don't have internet, it's called the Xbox 360" And honestly that's not a "screw you" statement like most people make it out to be. They proved this year they are still supporting the 360 and have no plans to stop doing so for a few years at least. So in consumer terms he basically said: "if you like our brand but don't have Internet and don't have a 360 yet pick one up its a great system and will be around for a long time to come." I never read that as a "middle finger" to people who don't have Internet, and when you think about it the 360 will live for at least 3 more years and by then a bigger percentage of the world will have Internet. Hell I live in Alabama, the one place in America that always gets crapped on, and I can get up to 50mbs in my area and I'm at least 40miles away from the closest major city. If us "shotgun owning, tractor driving, idiot rednecks" can get good Internet the rest of the world can't be far behind! So honestly I don't see anything wrong with his statement, sure it seams bad to people who don't have Internet but by the time the 360 is no longer in stores chance are if you don't have Internet now you will by then. And the 360 is by no means a bad way to wait out the time until you do. Plus all major multiplat games for both new systems are coming on current gen this year anyway. Again as I said before this is if you want to get into the Xbox brand because you want to play the games you missed out on, if your just looking for a new system to play offline by all means go ps4 cause that ain't half bad either! Both systems are going to be amazing in their own ways, so really it comes down to what it should, what games do you like the most. I mean games are why we buy these things right? So I'm glad these issues came up as it turned our eyes back to what matters most... Games! :)

It's not necessarily about "screw you" but it's about Microsofts ridiculously poor marketing for the Xbox One that has them continually put their foot in it. The fact is, serious gamers who might be concerned about the Xbox One's requirement of internet access every 24 hours do not want one of the presidents of Microsoft to come out and go "well, you can always get an 8 year old piece of tech."

Microsoft can say whatever they want, but the fact is, the 360 focus WILL drop within the 1 or 2 years of the One being out.

Also, purely for my benefit, could you please paragraph. I was only able to actually read the first few lines of what you wrote.

In terms of the internet, I'll provide you with an example.

My university (and I think a large number of universities) in the UK prevent students who are living in university provided accommodation from gaming online, as you have to log on to the uni provided internet via portals. If this is the same for the Xbox One, then they have alienated a huge portion of their fanbase (students who have money and not much to do) as they wouldn't be able to go online in order to authenticate and so after 24 hours the console would be useless as a console.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

ganon578 wrote: The whole game-fee deal will surely kill Gamestop, Gamefly, and mom-and-pop game stores on the Xbox end. I hope Sony stays away from that model all together.0/PS3 generation, are they just getting cocky and complacent? Bad move.
This is something i've been beating on about for a while now, since this used games discussion came up. Everyone is sticking up for the publishers and developers, saying used games are putting people out of a job... That's true and I feel sorry for them, BUT, by enacting such a strong used-game stance MSoft could adversely affect the employment of thousands of people who work in stores across the US, UK, Europe etc, who are doing a job that is completely legal.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

This just in: DRM and always online removed from the Xbox One, as well as used games working as they always have. Courtesy of fan backlash.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56730/microsoft-re ... -xbox-one/
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

ganon578 wrote:This just in: DRM and always online removed from the Xbox One, as well as used games working as they always have. Courtesy of fan backlash.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/56730/microsoft-re ... -xbox-one/
Damn you beat me to it!!! But it is also no longer region locked, which some people care about but it doesn't make difference to me either way.

Also @ counterpunch
Used games only account for 30% of GameStop's sales, and they don't make any form of commission or bonus from selling a used game. So how exactly would that harm the employees at GameStop, EB games, or GAME?

The ones in my area already have a bare bones staff as it is, and we have too many GameStops around here (4 in one city!) so at the worst they close stores and combine staff. Plus half the people quit after 2 months anyways, so it would drive them to hire more dedicated workers not 17 year old hipsters who half-ass do everything.

Honestly I seen nothing but good for publishers and workers. The only people who get screwed are suits who already make too much money and people who ONLY buy used.

None of this really matters now as they've changed it, but I still wanted to have my say in the matter.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Damn you beat me to it!!! But it is also no longer region locked, which some people care about but it doesn't make difference to me either way.
I absolutely did! I saw this on PushSquare.com and though it was pretty funny. I still like the Xbox brand and I'm looking forward to what they can do in the next gen. It'll be nice 5 years from now when I can pick up a PS4 and a Xbox One for the cost of just of the machines right now:

http://images.pushsquare.com/news/2013/ ... iginal.jpg