Latest Music Purchases.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

La la la more musical pickings from the back of the interwebs....

Bomb The Bass 'Unknown Territory' (1991)

Why Bomb The Bass never matched the Prodge and Chemicals for chart superstardom is a mystery to me, as they are AWESOME!!! This second album (containing minor chart hit 'Winter In July') is fab, and has a lovely low end rumbly bass sound and some beefy tuneage going on. Well worth a listen for anyone into Leftfield, Nightmares On Wax and Death In Vegas.

Airhead 'Boing!!' (1992)

Charming indie band sadly swept away by the baggy tide reminiscent of Haircut 100 and Orange Juice. The album isn't quite as cohesive as it should be, thanks to the involvement of three different producers and the annoying problem some albums suffer from being too quiet (this one has a terrible mix of quietly produced songs and then BIG LOUD ONES), but the quality of the likes of 'Funny How', 'Counting Sheep' and 'Wish You Were Here' shine through. Lovely stuff.

Nirvana 'In Utero' (1993)

Quite how its taken me 22 years (f**k me) to get around to buying this is beyond me. Its a frickin' amazing album, much more dense and engaging than major label debut 'Neveremind'. I love how it sounds quite unlistenable in places, and matches the scabberous comedy bird flipping of 'Radio Friendly Unit Shifter' with great singles like 'Heart Shaped Box'. This is brilliant, brilliant stuff. Its like I suddenly understand what all the fuss was about.

Sleeper 'The It Girl' (1996)

Assured indie-pop from the height of the Britpop era. Not really much else to say! Its a good, solid record and one of the staples of the time, but wont blow you away with any bold artistic statement, but sometimes, you don't have to and good tunes are good enough. Good.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

"Tourette's" is ****ing ace. Destroys your throat singing it at volume, but I used to be able to do it with enough noise behind me. Twenty tw... ****.

"What Do I Do Now?" is also ace. Some really strong songs on that album. Wener's auto-biography is worth a skim.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

****ing hell Skyquake, how cool is your music taste!

I love that Bomb the Bass album. Bought it a few years ago. Winter In July is beautiful, Dune Buggy is great and the one that um... I forget the title but it has this sample from a film that repeats "Tell me you have never been one of them". I adore that one, needs to be on loud so you can really feel the bass tunnelling through the floor.

Bomb the Bass are superb. And they also provided the soundtrack to Amiga shoot-em-up Xenon II, but I'm sure you already knew that :smokin:

"It's not until you're an adult you appreciate how awesome a dog is. Your dreams start dying, somebody cheats on you, bankers f*** up your pension. Then you come home and that dog's looking at you and he's like, 'Dude, you're awesome!'” - Bill Burr

“I re-invented my image so many times that I'm in denial that I was originally an overweight Korean woman.” - David Bowie
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I actually did not know they did Xenon II! How cool is that? I've been meaning to get 'Unknown Territory' for aeons, as I love their third one, 'Clear' (from off of 1994) and its breakbeats and whatnot (and, er, collaboration with Will Self!).
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

MUSIC!

Cut La Roc 'La Roc Rocs' (2000)

God bless Skint, and all who sailed in her. Another magnificent Big Beat album from the label that brought you Bentley Rhythm Ace, Midfield General, Fatboy Slim, Indian Ropeman et al. Cut La Roc's heavy blend of beats and scratching might very possibly my favourite Big Beat album, its aces! And also cost 99p from Oxfam in Otley where I got served by a grumbly lady whom was annoyed I wanted to buy a thing 2 minutes before they closed.

We Are Harlot 'We Are Harlot' (2015)

Jolly old-school hair-metal inspired...well, metal from Danny Worsnop, taking time off from Asking Alexandria to indulge in an ill-advised Teddy-boy look and ginger quiff and his love of '80s bubblegum glam metal. Scoffing aside at fashion faux pas (and I'm not one to talk, wearing as I do black, black or er, black on most days), this is actually really great stuff. Its fast, its fun and it gets the job done. Perhaps too quickly. The 37 minutes run time feels too short.

Asking Alexandria 'From Death To Destiny' (2013)

And what better time to compare and contrast We Are Harlot with Worsnop's day job? AA are funny band, they've sort of quietly got massive, not being as pervasive and all consuming as Kerrang! fodder like You Me At Six, Black Veil Brides or All Time Low (a band I know only from the lead singer's haircut). Not being familiar with their ouvere (but been on my list 'to check out at some point), these guys are what I would call a 'bridging band' one of those metal bands that can act as a stepping stone to much heavier fare. There's the brutality of the jagged guitars and the pounding drums throughout, but there's a keen sense of melody that shines through all the razorbombs. A great listen from start finish, although there is a pointless bonus track which is a 'rock remix' of 'The Death Of Me' (it sounds the same). Will have to check out the remix album version of this, see if its as good as the one Bring Me The Horizon did a few years back.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Prince 'Sign O' The Times' (1987)

Slightly bloated double album from the man Melody Maker once described as "a dwarf dipped in a bucket of pubic hair", key singles 'Sign O' The Times' and 'U Got The Look' interrupt what is quite a mellow, jazzy bit of sunshine funk that just sort of passes you by. Probably the first worrying signs of how over-indulgent the prolific Prince could be if left to his own devices.

Blur 'Magic Whip' (2015)

Solid return for Blur. A lot of the music press has claimed this to be a work of genius. Its not. Its just a good, solid indie record. I think its just the most consistent record Blur have made since 1997's 'Blur' and that's what's making the difference. That and the dilution of time, as there isn't anything I'd say was exceptional on here, there's just some neat borrowing of Japanese culture mixed into their indie sound. Good, but not great.

Magazine 'The Correct Use Of Soap' (1980)

2007 reissue that does the reissue stuff properly for my money - no scratchy sounding demos and nonsense like that - by including the B-Sides to the three singles off the album. Hooray! This third album was the last to feature John McGeoch, whose star was in ascendance and after collaborating with Visage, he went off to join the Banshees. This album is perhaps a little less aggressive and more obviously attuned to mainstream pop sensibilities, but it still has that strange oddness that defines a lot of Magazine's outsider rock. My favourites are 'I'm A Party', 'A Song From Under The Floorboards' and 'Because You're Frightened'. Listening to this on shiny CD for the first time in forever (my vinyl was well worn to the point of being utterly f**ked), I can see something of a lineage that can be traced to Pulp. Unsurprising, since the Sheffield oddballs were also on the go at this time. It's just took them a lot longer to get where they were going.

Public Enemy 'Fear Of A Black Planet' (1990)

Best Hip-Hop album ever. Its, bold, sharp and brutal and has none of that terrible 'interlude' type pissing about that clogs up every other hip hop artists albums (you can tell this when they have 20 tracks or more and about 12 of them are a minute long and just some random crap). It's just full of fantastic beefy tunes '911 is a joke', 'Welcome To The Terrordome', 'Fight The Power'...just all of them. Easy to see why this album was such an influence on the Chemical Brothers - just add some dance beats and you're not so far off. If you don't own a copy of this album, you owe it to yourself to get a copy! Its the shizzle, fo' real y'all.

Slaves 'Are You Satisifed?' (2015)

Probably my favourite album what I have bought so far this year. It's nothing spectacularly ground breaking, just some very well honed and fun oiky indie-punk shoutiness. Songs like 'Cheer Up London' , 'Despair And Traffic' and 'Do Something' capture that sort of terrible malaise that's swept modern society where people are happy to have a gripe , but have no sense of being responsible for themselves and that they might have to do something that involves more than tapping an 'App' on a smart phone, expecting far more from political and corporate institutions, as well as society than they're likely to get. Adorable cover artwork too.

Menace Beach 'Ratworld' (2015)

I'm still on the fence with this one. Seemingly part of the current fondness for shoegaze, this woozy load of feedback is doing nothing particularly imaginative with the form, merely repeating the fuzzed up drone sounds Juicifer and Joy Zipper were peddling fifteen years or so ago. But apparently because that sound's hip again, this lot have got a free pass. Its good, I just can't get into it. It's just sort of ...there, and I don't know if that's good enough.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Fight Like Apes - Fight Like Apes

More of a chill out album than Mystery of the Golden Medallion, more focused than The Body of Christ and the Legs of Tina Turner (which I didn't find anywhere near as riotously enjoyable as Golden Medallion)... Fight Like Apes seem to be on a wind down now, but after some delay have put out this crowd funded offering as a welcome return to form. Put it this way, Amazon's music player seems to have a bug where it loops the last track in an album playlist, and this was on whilst reading and I didn't notice for half an hour or care for another hour or two. Parts are quite hypnotic.

Sample tracks:
Pop Itch - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWP8DxbGi0
Carousel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7rI65LNeJY

Bonus... Pretty Keen On Centrefolds (almost a spoken word radio performance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lS6yeP-ZHo
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Japan 'Oil On Canvas' (1983)

I meant to replace my tatty copy of 'Tin Drum', but chanced upon this 'live' album and thought I'd give it a whirl as its held in high regard. I have no idea why. There's nothing you don't get listening to the studio albums. Like INXS, Japan sound so good live that there's little to distinguish between the studio and live versions. There's sod all in the way of interaction with the audience either, and with just some polite applause at the end of each song, little in the way of any kind of 'live' atmosphere. Japan have always made music to stroke beards by, so this isn't a great surprise, but it just makes it sound like Japan would have been the dullest band to see live. This also commits the sin of many a live record - its a cut and paste job from three different live shows. Boo.

Ultravox 'Vienna' (1980)

Not being overly familiar with Ultrvox outside the obvious hit singles, I was surprised by how much of a rock album this actually is. The title track actually sticks outlike a sore thumb as its unlike anything else on this record. Its been a pleasant surprise and there's also the first tentative steps musically here that would lead to the likes of Big Audio Dynamite and Jesus Jones, with the way the keyboards are used less as a flourish and more along the lines of gituar/drum combo to pack some punch. Good work, fellas!

Talking Heads 'Remain In Light' (1980)

I'm always a bit suspicious of 8 track albums (as in 8 songs long, not as in er, 8-Track the format) as there's two ways they go - a set of moderately long pieces or a bunch of short ones and one that's so long it defies all sense and reason. Thankfully, this album happily sits in the former category. As well as the superlative 'Once In A Lifetime' (still brilliant after all these years), there's more gold in 'Crosseyed And Painless' and 'Seen And Not Seen'.

The Cramps 'Off The Bone' (1987)

Stop gap singles collection full of spooky rockabilly that sounds like its recorded in Satan's bar. Brilliant stuff.

Neds Atomic Dustbin 'God Fodder' (1991)

Beloved Grebo album from the halcyon days of the early '90s indie scent, when British guitar pop had a bit more wit and verve about it. Its a big colourful swirly stew underpinned by the fantastic double bass attack that was Neds signature sound (thats doule bass as in two bass players, to avoid confusion). Features key single 'Kill Your Television'.

Cypress Hill 'Black Sunday' (1993)

If you were stoned at someone's house during the 1990s, then this would be your soundtrack. The whiny, nasally rapping does get a bit of getting used to, and does make Cypress Hill come over as sort of gangsta-lite, but this is a great great record and again, one of the few hip hop albums that's great from start to finish. There's no bloody filler crap and it doesn't run on for hours with no need. There's just some sharp and blackly comical tunes on show 'Insane In The Brain', 'I Ain't Going Out Like That', 'When The Sh- Goes Down' , 'Legalize it' are all great great tunes. The immediacy of the sound is no doubt part of the reason why this lot, perhaps more than contemporaries, went down so well with a white audience (*waves*).

Little Angels 'Jam' (1993)

Funny band, Little Angels. They were one of those British bands that were forever on the cusp of being absolutely massive, but never quite got there. After a lot of faffing about and some frustratingly middling albums, 'Jam' for me, represents their attempts to seriously step into the big leagues 'Womankind', 'Soapbox' and 'Too Much Too Young' all signpost a band really stepping up and not being afraid of being the big stadium band they could be. Sadly, it was not to be with things rapidly falling apart not long after this album was released.

Kasabian 'Velociraptor!' (2011)

This fourth album isn't as immediate as their previous 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' and is a little more mechanical in places, but what I like most about it is that it sounds like the soundtrack to the best 1960s cop/spy show there never was. That's probably not what they were aiming for, but it sounds brilliant nonetheless.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Crikey, been a while since I posted in here, so lets catch up with what I've been listening to ...since March this year.

Pop Will Eat itself 'Anti Nasty League' (2015)

After their return in 2011 and the fair to middling reception of comeback album 'New Noise Designed By A Sadist' (it used a number of re-worked songs that had been circulating over the last ten years under side-project Vile Evils), this is a much more strident and focused album. Its, loud, sharp and punchy and does the sort of politicking hinted at on 1994's 'Dos Dedos Mis Amigos' with much more conviction and wit. There's not a duff song on this from start to finish, although some of the song titles do sound like something a bedroom anarchist would come up with ('Set Sail For Death', 'Sacrifice & Pain'). The production, by the band and noko440 is clean and sharp, with everything have a nice spark and crunch to it.

Wolf Alice 'My Love Is Cool' (2015)

Current darlings of the indie scene and heralded as 'grunge revivalists' , which does their wistful, feedback-y sound absolutely no favours at all. There's a restraint in their sound which I really like, in amongst all the sweetly growling rage and ire. I think this my possibly be my favourite album what I have bought this year.

Chemical Brothers 'Born In Echoes' (2015)

Hmm. Previous album 'Futher' took me a little while to get into, and I think its going to be the same with this one. Its the noodly, psychedelic end of the Chemicals sound, but it doesn't have the same sense of melody that its predecessor did. I'm just not seeing in this album what everyone else is that makes it so amazing.

FFS - 'FFS' (2015)

Collaboration between Franz Ferdinand and Sparks that's so seemless, you can't see the joins. Probably the finest meeting of minds committed to record, with a nice line in how rubbish these things can turn out. Its not a mind blowing album by any stretch, but just a very good, slightly sleazy late night guitar pop record.

Fear Factory 'Genexus' (2015)

I love Fear Factory, but they have become a band that is becoming something of a one note enterprise. They are definitely one of those bands that once you've heard one album, you've heard them all. Their dogged mining of the whole man vs technology thing has churned out some very good work along the way, but it really is time they moved on. Whilst this album again delivers some brutal blast-beat driven techno-metal, its not doing anything new and imaginative. Worse, its not even as good as 2012's 'The Industrialist'. Its also odd to consider that - in a year where they have a new album out - their focus for touring is the twentieth anniversary of 'Demanufacture' , which will only highlight further how little the band have moved on. Overawed by futurity indeed.

Bullet For My Valentine 'Venom' (2015)

After the slightly more radio-friendly nature of 'Temper Temper' (which I really liked), this sees the band dial up the metal again. Still struggling to escape the long shadow cast by debut 'The Poison', this is nevertheless the sound of an invigorated and band that feel they've something to prove. The songs are tough, fast and like being caught up in street brawl with some unsavoury characters at 3 in the morning when you're just trying to get a taxi home.

Myrkyr 'Myrkyr' (2015)

Enchanting and beguiling black metal album (really?) that is equal turns wistful and bleak. One of the more surprising metal albums I've heard this year, with it bordering so heavily on folk music, which adds an interesting dynamic to the usual deathly growls and fast guitars one usually associates with this sort of music. A triumph.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Killing Joke 'Pylon' (2015)

Man, Killing Joke are awesome. Since 2011, they've not put a foot wrong with a series of consistently excellent albums. Pylon ramps up the 'oh my God, civilisation's utterly ****ed' paranoia and retoric, backed by some right old BOOM. The second disc descends into dub remixes, which are fine, Killing Joke's sound lending itself well to dub, but it'd be nice if they branched into breakbeat to match the urgency of the work.

New Years Day 'Malevolence' (2015)

This lot have been toiling away for a few years now and are starting to make a name for themselves. They're the latest Americans in make up band (see also: Black Veil Brides, Motionless In White) playing cheery FM friendly metal, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, especially when its as hook-leaden and fab as this. They don't bring anything new or ground breaking to the table, but are just great all the same and is really good to do housework to. Would be up for seeing them live at some point.

Meta-Stasis 'The Paradox Of Metanoia' (2015)

Terrifically shouty, noisy maelstrom of chaotic tech-metal. It's a bit like being in a blizzard of cheese graters. As with all metal of this ilk, its so OTT as to be slightly comical, despite the serious intent.

Evil Scarecrow 'Playing Dead Trees : The Acoustic Session EP' (2015)

At only three songs long, this is far too short - I'm left wanting more, so good do Evil Scarecrow's tunes sound stripped back. The acoustic version of 'Crabulon' actually trumps the plugged in version for me, thanks to its silly Robin Hood intro and the band bursting out into laughter whilst playing this. Good times.

Roots Manuva - 'Bleeds' (2015)

F**k me, this is brilliant. It really is. Roots Manuva is awesome, and if you don't own at least one of his many fine albums, then you're missing out. Legend.

Once Human 'The Life I Remember' (2015)

Brilliant record from Lauren Hart and Logan Mader, one of the more arresting metal albums I've heard this year. There's a nice soup of sounds going on here and the album has a nice balance of shouty rifferama and more mellow synthy ventures. Good stuff.

Sumo Cyco - 'Escape From Cyco City' (2015)

This lot left me agog at Winter Rocks last weekend, and cut through the legions of hairy arsed AOR going on. Bouncy and brutal songs abound, with a lovely off-kilter vibe, with their mix of punk, metal and dancehall. Remind me a bit of Skindred, if they were stuck in a haunted fairground. One of the best live bands I've ever seen, so if you get the chance, do check them out live (they're currently on tour with Fozzy - also pretty decent - Ryan F would approve of their Def Leppard stylings). As ever with amazing live bands, I'm always worried that the recorded output would be a bit lacking. Thankfully, they've managed to recapture their beefy fun sound on record too! Hooray! I bought mine after they'd played and have to admit to being a bit starstruck and couldn't manage more than a few sentences when I met them after.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Nirvana - Unplugged in New York (1994)

Little known three-piece with terrible dress sense howl their way through a slew of their back catalogue; including Marshall Ward, Littlewoods and Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam.

The pre-recorded audience soundtrack from a Little Angels concert are wonderfully on form here, and the set dressing fits the mood nicely.

Kurdt Kobaine takes his voice to alaric venementist protathics on tracks like Lake of Fire and Plateau, and his rendition of Elton John's The Man Who Sold The World deserves special mention for igniting Capella's career a year later.

The album weighs in at just under 40 grams and the disc is great for protecting your seedlings from garden birds.

Sadly the band have been quiet of late but that probably means they're planning an epic comeback to rival the likes of Earth, Wind and Five Star, and Crystal Gale.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

You see? You see what happens Skyquake?
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

DEADPOOL: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Saw the movie, loved it, got the soundtrack.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Auntie Slag wrote:You see? You see what happens Skyquake?
I'm waving an NME fiercely in your direction, you cheeky madam!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I dance with the NME, I've got a remedy.

You made me reference a crap song, you cunning bastard!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Ha! I am cunning. Like a weasel.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Unleash The Archers - 'Time Stands Still' (2015)

Do you pay attention to 'recommended for you' on You Tube? I usually don't, I watch such varying stuff on there, the recommendations are usually always awful, but this lot caught my eye with a song called 'Test Your Metal'. Its the most hilariously OTT song I've heard in some while. Basically, UTA are trying to out-Maiden Maiden. Widdly guitar solos, soaring vocals, tunes and a lot of fist pumping are all present and correct. They are good, but I don't think they realise quite how silly they are. This album is pretty awesome, but I don't honestly think I'll be visiting them again any time soon. Their sound is so entrenched in the 1980s that any change in direction or musical growth will defeat the object of what this band are about.

Panic!At The Disco - 'Death Of A Batchelor' (2016)

PATD are one of those odd alt-rock bands that are like moss. They're just there, festering in the background. One of those bands that popped about 15 years ago with an achingly arch name (see also : Death Cab For Cutie, The Boxer Rebellion) and sort-of post-grunge but thank f**k not emo or like bloody Live or Bush sort of sound. Basically, they're cut from the same cloth as JSBX, Sebadoh and Julianna Hatfield Three, that sort of indie-rock that America does passably well from time to time. This is all my way of saying that I've no real idea about PATD, just that they exist and fill half a page in Kerrang! every now and again when its a slow news week. I was in faded high street retailer HMV (the only record shop in town. Or at least my town) and heard this blaring out and thought it sounded pretty fun. And it is. As a piece of work, its got that sort of big late '80s pop/rock sound - think Flesh For Lulu, Transvision Vamp - married with some squally electronics (like early Jesus Jones). Wont blow you away with some super cutting edge sounds, but a nice enough start to the year whilst we wait for something more interesting to come along.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So since seeing it at the theatre a few weeks ago, I've basically been listening to the Book of Mormon soundtrack on a loop. As you'd expect from the South Park people, great funny and filthy songs that manage a serious message at times as well. The show is hilarious as well for any theatrical types who might be in a position to see it.

Oddly my favourite song doesn't even have any swearing in it:

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

The Heisenberg Diaries Book A: Sounds of Future Past
By Docker's Guild

Proggy space-AOR band do overproduced cover versions of classic sci-fi theme tunes. We have Space: 1999 (Year One and Year Two themes), Flash Gordon Suite (some Queen stuff), Barbarella, "Suspension" (Buck Rogers theme tune), David Bowie's When the Wind Blows, The NeverEnding Story, Red Dwarf Theme, a selection of music from Babylon 5, Doctor Who, UFO, The Black Hole and Dune.

It's interesting rather than brilliant, but it's a nice selection of music from some of my favourite films and shows.
Transform And Roll-Out
The Unofficial And Unauthorised Guide To The Transformers (1984-92)
Available now from Telos Publishing
https://telos.co.uk/shop/cult-tv/transf ... -roll-out/
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Hacktivist - 'Outside The Box' (2016)

Awesomely impressive grime/ tech metal mash up that RULES. That is all you need to know. Hacktivist are boss and I am thankful they exist.

The Qemists 'Warrior Sound' (2016)

This is a properly mega album, its everything the Prodigy wish they were now, instead of recycling 'Experience' to diminishing returns. Qemists are basically Hadouken! with much more welly and TUNES. Every song on here, from 'Our World', through 'Push The Line' and the title track is friggin' ace and if you get the chance to see them live, grab it with both hands! They were the last band on at Hammerfest in March and they kicked ass and I danced like a lunatic and jumped up and down in the crowd and everything! I haven't done that since... Curve in 1998. Bloody hell.

The Struts - 'Everyody Wants' (2014)

"'Ooh doesn't he sound and look a bit like Freddie Mercury?' says every unimaginative music journalist ever, thus undermining the glorious thundering night on the town getting up to shennanigans that The Struts are. Precision crafted full blooded rock 'n' roll thrusting its crotch in your face and dressing up in your mums clothes like a pissed Noel Fielding.

Of Mice & Men - 'The Flood (Deluxe Reissue)' (2012')

Standard bearers for the modern style of metal that is all tattoos and neatly trimmed beards, all squally guitars in a hurricane cut with singing that scrapes and shouts its way through the chaos of JUST BEING ALIVE IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW MAN. First four songs are totes amazeballs, 'The Flood' , 'The Calm' , 'The Storm' and 'The Depths' are all incredible pieces of work , all brooding drama and thoughtful shouting. The second disc is alright, but suffers weak production which makes a lot of their stuff sound like static, which is a shame.

Die So Fluid - 'The Opposites Of Light' (2014)

One of those curious British bands that do some quietly incredible stuff, but it just gets ignored over here, save for a small, but rabid fanbase. No wonder they stick to poncing around America playing agreeable bars and whatnot. I'm sure playing the C*** & Trumpet in Neasden isn't quite the same as playing the Constellation Room in Santa Ana. So this is album number four, and its a much more bleaker and soulful affair compared to 2010's 'The World Is Too Much For One Lifetime'. Its a bit like being a Goth on Blackpool pleasure beach in mid winter, full of faded revelry and bitterness. Excellent stuff.

PVRIS - 'White Noise' (2014)

Agreeable technologically tinged metal, full of angst and swoonsome bits, punctuated by big stabby rawk. I does like it, as they remind me of Transvision Vamp or Roxette, but just y'know, cooler and down with the kids and 'IMPORTANT'.