Book Me, Dano.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Thanks to Notabot, who solved the problem I was having in finding time to read A Game of Thrones by posting about the audiobooks in this here thread, thusly reminding me about... well, audiobooks (I know, I know. I'm a bright one). All my time spent riding to and from work/doing housework is now also spent listening to audiobooks, and I have found it an excellent way to get through the novels.

Finished A Game of Thrones finally, now onto A Clash Of Kings. I've stopped reading comics entirely for the time being, because I've started playing Skyrim again and it's taking up most of the time not spent with the small one. :swirly:
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Currently reading Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, which runs the gamut from straight comedy to memoir.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Sades wrote: I've stopped reading comics entirely for the time being,
And comics don't work as well on audiobook, do they? "What's that?" "Huh?" "Zwappp!"

Although, now I want to hear Ian McKellen reading Archie comics. Or Shane MacGowan.

And semi-related, my children have just discovered the bizarre joy of "Descriptive audio" on Blu-ray discs. It's like fast audiobooks of movies.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Finished Zombie Spaceship Wasteland, and have moved on to Silver Screen Fiend.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Gone Girl, as part of a promotion if you bought the DVD or Blu Ray at JB Hifi.
Destruction is my specialty
Sades

Post by Sades »

I just don't have the time to read a bunch of different comics. And I lack the willingness to try and snatch extra time away from the peoples and things in my life for them. If I didn't get motion sickness when reading on public transit, things might be different... or I might read novels more. Ehhh.

A Clash Of Kings: I keep mixing up almost everyone because of their weird names, but don't want to Wiki and spoil the damn thing for myself. Gawdammit.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

This doesn't really give spoiler-proof info about the characters, but it really helped me get a feel for where things where and who was going where, which did help me keep things a bit straighter in my head. And you can move the slider to wherever you are in the books/series to prevent any map spoilers, which is pretty dang cool.

http://quartermaester.info/
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yeaaaaahhhhhhh!

I love a good bit of map. I am going to have all sorts of fun with this.

Hey, hey... why do the Lannisters have such big beds? No googling, dammit.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Answer:
SPOILER! (select to read)
They push two twins together to make a king. AH HA HA HA. Yeah, I know. shut up.
A Clash of Kings:

At the bus stop yesterday, listening to the book on my way to work...
SPOILER! (select to read)
"Winterfell!"

GODDAMN IT, ARYA.
(in my head, I'm not some weirdo. Well... I'm plenty ****ing weird, but not so much that I talk to myself in public.)

Spoiler tags because Hound has been dropping hints about what happens in later books without being specific and it's driving me nuts because he doesn't see that even though he's not being specific, I can still work out what's going to happen where while it's happening and it's ruining any sort of surprise that might come along with it. (RAAAAR) So I've gotten a little sensitive about giving anything away if people haven't read the books. :p
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Finished Silver Screen Fiend. Started Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the End of the Lane.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Picked up Tomb Raider and the Ten Thousand Immortals at my local book store, which I can't read until I've played the reboot and a bunch of the previous games.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We DVR'd today's Sesame Street, and started watching it this evening.They had a segment called "Game of Chairs" that was a spoof of Game of Thrones.

Yeah, I totally just had a bit of the book spoiled for me by Sesame Street.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Big Bird got beheaded? Saw that one coming. He crossed Ernie one too many times.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Can't find a video, so here's the link on the Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

It was weiiiiird.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I don't normally read history, but when I went to see the Magna Carta exhibition at the British library (sadly no mention of The King's Demons) I picked up the accompanying book.

It's a period of history I really knew nothing about beyond the basics- it turns out Maid Marion was mostly a work of fiction- so it's was actually a very interesting tour and subsequent read. With all the infighting (we talk about THE British Civil War, so there basically being a twenty year one in the 13th century was a surprise), violence and sex it's basically Game of Thrones without the dragons.

It's also fascinating to think how Magna Carta was basically drawn up to protect the rich and powerful first and foremost and was almost immediately nullified by the Pope (who became Britain's Feudal Overlord for the totally hilarious price of £666 a year), it's legacy would have horrified everyone involved in its creation and just goes to show how you never can predict what your impact on the future will be. Maybe this post will one day be seen as a defining moment of world wide liberty?

And because I can't get this out of my head, I must share it with the rest of you:

REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Sades wrote:Can't find a video, so here's the link on the Muppet Wiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones

It was weiiiiird.
They have the video up! It was the Joffery bit. Hound was there, and he laughed at me when he realised what had happened. :o
Sades

Post by Sades »

Finally done listening to book 2. On to A Storm Of Swords. Just put the baby down for her nap. TIME TO REEEAAAAD
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Ables by Jeremy Scott.

I don't know if anybody here knows about the CinemaSins channel on YouTube, but the co-creator and narrator of that channel wrote a book about a group of kids with super powers that are otherwise disabled.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Reading the munchkin Harry Potter on nights the wife is off, and The Princess Bride when she's working. I haven't touched Ocean at the End of the Lane in a while, as most days are spent keeping the kid from sticking things in the outlets.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Wire up something that looks like an outlet but is just enough batteries in series to make the point.