Dalek and Warcry's Endless Star Trek Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Heinrad wrote:Actually, after giving it some thought, here's my verdict: if you want something that feels like TOS/TNG/VOY/ENT Star Trek, and you don't feel like paying CBS, watch The Orville. Despite what the critics think, I actually like the show and think it's pretty good. A friend of mine who hates Star Trek due to a childhood incident involving his family and a Star Trek marathon loves The Orville.
I watched an episode of Orville and I definitely see where people are coming from when they say the show feels like Seth McFarlane only remembered during production that he sold Fox a comedy. The jokes stuck out like a sore thumb in what was otherwise a surprisingly serious and well-written story.

Also I want to hear more about this childhood incident. Image
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

The childhood incident didn’t appear to be anything horrible, unless you’ve never been a huge Trekkie. He apparently got stuck in a house with all of his relatives, several televisions, and a three day TOS marathon. He couldn’t change the channel, he couldn’t get away from it(I’m really hoping he was kidding about them having a tv in the bathroom), so Star Trek makes him twitch and run screaming in the opposite direction.

I’m just hoping we get Alara for all of season 2 of The Orville.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Still haven't watched the mirror universe arc of Discovery. Don't really want to.
Heinrad wrote:Actually, after giving it some thought, here's my verdict: if you want something that feels like TOS/TNG/VOY/ENT Star Trek, and you don't feel like paying CBS, watch The Orville. Despite what the critics think, I actually like the show and think it's pretty good.
F*ck the critics. Have seen four episodes so far and the 23% on Rotten Tomatoes versus the 93% audience approval is about right. Some of the best Star Trek in years, and almost a shame it doesn't have the logos and trimming.
dalek wrote:I finished Enterprise!

It was like watching a beloved relative succumb to dementia and then have a rabid Donald Trump come and bite them in the dick.
Incidentally, 2017 reboot DuckTales is really good.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

So, Patrick Stewart is playing Picard again, in a series that (in terms of the 20 year gap) will take Trek up to the 25th century.

Guessing it'll be a miniseries featuring a bunch of new characters and very probably an Enterprise (CBS is going to want one of the shows to feature the signature ship) who can then spin off to their own Next Next Generation show.

Considering he's part of the directors pool for the current Trek stuff, I think it's very likely Jonathan Frakes at least will pop up on both sides of the camera.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

This is the first bit of Trek news in a long time that I'm actually excited about.

Did Discovery even get renewed for a second season? I really haven't heard any talk about the show, good or bad.
inflatable dalek wrote:Considering he's part of the directors pool for the current Trek stuff, I think it's very likely Jonathan Frakes at least will pop up on both sides of the camera.
Considering how little most of the TNG cast are up to these days, I'd be surprised if we didn't see most of them drop in for guest appearances as the show goes along, just like how we kept getting TOS cameos in TNG episodes and movies. (Though I guess it really depends on how long it runs for. If it's a miniseries like you think, there probably won't be room for all of them.)

Unless the premise of the show is "a miserable Picard, hopelessly senile thanks to Irumodic Syndrome, keeps trying to escape from his retirement home".
inflatable dalek

Second season Discovery trailer dropped a few weeks ago. Old colours uniforms for the Enterprise crew and lots of Captain Pike.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Warcry wrote:Unless the premise of the show is "a miserable Picard, hopelessly senile thanks to Irumodic Syndrome, keeps trying to escape from his retirement home".
I want this show. Especially if half the senility is just references to other shows and movies Patrick Stewart has done.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Heinrad wrote:He apparently got stuck in a house with all of his relatives, several televisions, and a three day TOS marathon. He couldn’t change the channel, he couldn’t get away from it(I’m really hoping he was kidding about them having a tv in the bathroom), so Star Trek makes him twitch and run screaming in the opposite direction.
Ingrate :p I would've been in hog heaven since back in my childhood I was thirsty for any sort of Trek content. For some stupid reason, they decided to move TNG onto a different channel after season 3 - a cable channel that was impossible for me to see!

I now have all the shows and movies on DVD or blu and I'm still mad about that.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Warcry wrote:This is the first bit of Trek news in a long time that I'm actually excited about.

Did Discovery even get renewed for a second season? I really haven't heard any talk about the show, good or bad.

Considering how little most of the TNG cast are up to these days, I'd be surprised if we didn't see most of them drop in for guest appearances as the show goes along, just like how we kept getting TOS cameos in TNG episodes and movies. (Though I guess it really depends on how long it runs for. If it's a miniseries like you think, there probably won't be room for all of them.)

Unless the premise of the show is "a miserable Picard, hopelessly senile thanks to Irumodic Syndrome, keeps trying to escape from his retirement home".

Burton did a very successful Kickstarter to restore and possibly revive Reading Rainbow (which was and still is his personal passion project) while I could see him returning to the Star Trek franchise it would have to be in a limited fashion.

Micheal Dorn has become a popular voice actor for video games and animation.

Brent Spinner had signed up to play the Vice President of the United States in Supergirl season 4 for a few episodes, with Lydia Carter is playing the POTUS, but there was schedule conflict so he left the series and has been recast with Bruce
Boxleitner of Babylon 5 fame.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:Did Discovery even get renewed for a second season? I really haven't heard any talk about the show, good or bad.
As I say, gave up when the second arc was announced as being about the mirror universe. No point in getting interested in a prequel series that starts off with the reset button in full view.

Still renewed AFAIK.
inflatable dalek

Re: Dalek and Warcry's Endless Star Trek Thread

Picard trailer!

I'd watch ten episodes of him making wine tbh.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

So would I. I'm not sure how I'm going to watch this though, since it's probably going to be on a cable network in Canada and we gleefully cancelled our cable last year. Maybe Netflix will pick it up for reruns?

I made a quick trip onto some Trek fansites and was mildly amused to find fans of the Novelverse firmly in the "bargaining" stage of grief as they try to figure out increasingly unlikely ways for the books they've enjoyed to remain canon (even though they never were) in the face of a new TV series set in the future. I'm not sure I understand why people are so obsessed with the stuff they enjoy being "canon", but I guess that's because I'm a Transformers fan and I've had to wrap my head around multiple contradictory universes since I was in preschool.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, since we're now up to three main canons (show/movies, books, new movies) and it's not as if the retro-styled TV shows can be argued into a neat line, and it's a show involving time travel and alt-universes, it's very hard to give a ****. Will cheerfully take Federation or The Return over material they clash with.

Nothing interesting in the trailer, just lazy writers' shorthand. If it's going to be gritty/depressing I think I'll give it a miss as there's enough dystopian sci-fi as it is.
inflatable dalek

The poster!

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1 ... 3019395072

Basically, we would all now die for that dog.
inflatable dalek

FULL PICARD TRAILER HOLY CRAP

And also at the SDCC panel was...
SPOILER! (select to read)
Hugh the Borg?!?!

Riker and Troi confirmed as well.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's a glimmer of Stewart enjoying himself at end, at least.
inflatable dalek

just realised that the problem with Frakes coming back is, now he's an internet meme in his own right, they can't have Riker say yes, no or ask a question.

(If you missed it:)

Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Star Trek Picard series official trailer

Post by Scotimus Prime »

Denyer

Re: Star Trek Picard series official trailer

Post by Denyer »

Is this a new trailer? Can't say I'm enthusiastic, having spent the last quarter of a century absentmindedly following the continuing adventures of the timeline, including series like Titan and New Frontier (although the less said about the way the latter turned out the better). To toss that for "the characters settled down and did **** all in the intervening period" isn't an exciting alternative.

Really dislike the current fad for dark and tinted post-production too, it's infected mainstream cinema, Discovery, etc. Doesn't feel in any way like Star Trek Next Gen and reminds more of Nemesis.

Sure I'll catch it at some point, at least the cast seem to be having fun.

What I would like to see is something like a series-length adaptation of "Articles of the Federation".
Scotimus Prime
Protoform

Post by Scotimus Prime »

anyone watched the new Short Treks(Q&A, The Trouble With Edward) yet?