GOT anyone? [SPOILERS]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

GOT anyone? [SPOILERS]

Post by Sades »

Sorry, I'm allergic to the catch-all topics I think.

S8EP2 Arya sexing Gendry felt forced. I'mma just get that out there. And I don't mean, like, "Oh ho, she forced him!" because she didn't obvs. It felt very constructed. But, given the circumstances, I guess it was!

Brienne is annoying but I like her. Her story seems complete now that she's been knighted... I'm prepping myself to watch her die next ep.

Gilly, why are you there. Go away. I hate seeing white walker children, stop pls.

I was half-expecting to watch Dany go full Targ and maybe try to kill Jon when she found out about his sick plot move, if she hasn't gone nutso next ep she's probably not going to I think.

Where's Zombie Hodor?

Ep 3 hype, yaaaaaaas. PEOPLE DIE SOON RITE. D:

Also, this.
Hound

Re: GOT anyone? [SPOILERS]

Post by Hound »

That whole sex scene with Arya and Gendry was just uncomfortable to me. I don't want to see little Arya's naughty bits.

I liked the whole scene with everyone drinking by the fire, there was a lot of good moments in there but I'm pretty sure it spells the end for more than a few of those characters in the next episode.

I can see everyone that goes hiding in the crypt getting massacred.

Gotta admit I expected more build up, more machinations before getting to the fighting...
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:18 pm That whole sex scene with Arya and Gendry was just uncomfortable to me. I don't want to see little Arya's naughty bits.
Yeah, like you mentioned earlier (pplheredon'tknowthatthosotopic) it's particularily jarring considering we just did the series watch-through and watched her grow up in the span of a few weeks. When I realised what was happening, I had a "Oh.... no. nononono... wait, she's 20something. Still seems icky" moment. Um, as you heard, considering you were literally beside me. :p
I liked the whole scene with everyone drinking by the fire, there was a lot of good moments in there but I'm pretty sure it spells the end for more than a few of those characters in the next episode.
Or, OR maybe they all live. Maybe that's what they want you to think.

Til next episode anyway. Zombo Brianne's gonna hurt me in my blood-pumpy place. A zombo Sansa will, too, though I think she'll live for awhile tbh.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Nope! I am one of the seven people in the world who doesn't watch this show.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Clay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 pm Nope! I am one of the seven people in the world who doesn't watch this show.
I'm another. I tried watching the pilot a few years ago when HBO had a free trial weekend. It went exposition, exposition, exposition, Dinklage under a pile of hookers. I couldn't even tell the guys doing the exposition apart, let alone follow what they were saying, so I didn't bother watching any more.

Though, I do own a couple glow in the dark White Walker figures because they look neat and were on clearance. The box says San-Diego 2014 Comic Con exclusive, but I got them at Barnes & Noble in Rhode Island.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Have always been pickier about fantasy than sci-fi (particularly magic systems and cosmology -- Forgotten Realms is where my sense of internal logic settled, broadly Vancian AD&D). Still haven't seen all of the LotR films after having watched the Hobbit ones and GoT doesn't really appeal from what I've heard of it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I've been watching this since the beginning, in a 'that looks alright, I'll give it a go.' I've enjoyed it all the way through, but the last series was a bit off in places. It felt like characters managed to get out of sticky situations a bit too easily - the battle with the dead in the ice where there's a huge pile on and you're like 'they're f**ked' only for them all to survive. It just felt a bit too...'can't kill them yet'.

Yet to watch the big bunfight, but my chum who watched it says it was very dark and difficult to see what was going on.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Clay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:05 pm Nope! I am one of the seven people in the world who doesn't watch this show.
Finally a kindred soul.

I think other than a trailer for one of the seasons is all I've watched of Game of Thrones.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Trust me, there's a very large group of people who just love to tell people how they don't watch Game of Thrones. I'm not saying that's what's happening here, I enjoy that people are at least talking. But they exist. I guess it's fun? Like when I tell people I don't like pie (though Hound likes to point out that I do like pie, just certain kinds... I don't like pastry crust) or doughnuts and get to watch them make a mock-shocked facial expression?
Skyquake87 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:03 pm It felt like characters managed to get out of sticky situations a bit too easily - the battle with the dead in the ice where there's a huge pile on and you're like 'they're f**ked' only for them all to survive. It just felt a bit too...'can't kill them yet'.

Yet to watch the big bunfight, but my chum who watched it says it was very dark and difficult to see what was going on.
It was very dark, but it was manageable. It also disappointed me, after the buildup it was lacklustre imo. That's all I'll say about it at this point.

Tyrion's been annoying me recently. He's been more one-liners than anything and it's disappointing. I hope he dies soon. Um, spoiler Skyquake, sorry... :p
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

When the TV show came out I told myself "No, you should read the books first." Then I never read the books, and now the backlog of TV episodes seems insurmountable. :( I wish I'd just started with it in the first season because it sounds exactly like the sort of show I would have liked.
Sades wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:52 pmI don't like pie
You monster.
Sades

Post by Sades »

It only took us a couple of months to get through them all, watching one or two a night and taking the odd break. I read the books, semi-forgot half the plot points, and the show does a number of things differently anyway so don't let not having read them stop you :)

You monster.
Thank you, I live for that shit. :p
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The seasons are quite short - 8 eps at most, so its not as arduous as having to watch 22 episode long seasons.

Watched the big battle and though it was a great show off episode, although I miss the clever way they used to do these big battles in earlier episodes. Found it easy to follow and not as murky as has been made out on the social media (loved the Director pointing out a lot of people will be watching on tablets and phones, which isn't ideal). Ayra was easily the star of the episode for me. I've always enjoyed the resolve and determination she has. Missteps for me were, like you say Sades, Tyrion being reduced to a quipping machine and the nothing really happening with Bran. I thought that was going somewhere, but ...umm...no. Oh! And the red woman just wandering off at the end. Not quite sure what was trying to be said there. That's probably just me though.

I like pie.

...and also doughnuts, but I try not to buy them for fear of turning into one.
Hound

Post by Hound »

All I'm saying is that if I bring home pie she will without fail eat some pie...
Sades

Post by Sades »

That's because the one crusty pie I like is Strawberry-Rhubarb, and that is usually the pie that you bring home because you like it too and you know I'll eat it. :laugh:
Skyquake87 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:34 pm
Watched the big battle and though it was a great show off episode, although I miss the clever way they used to do these big battles in earlier episodes. Found it easy to follow and not as murky as has been made out on the social media (loved the Director pointing out a lot of people will be watching on tablets and phones, which isn't ideal). Ayra was easily the star of the episode for me. I've always enjoyed the resolve and determination she has. Missteps for me were, like you say Sades, Tyrion being reduced to a quipping machine and the nothing really happening with Bran. I thought that was going somewhere, but ...umm...no. Oh! And the red woman just wandering off at the end. Not quite sure what was trying to be said there. That's probably just me though.
Yeah, no. I didn't get why she wandered off either. I thought that maybe the white walker-y magic was contributing to keeping her alive? Meh.

I don't know, I feel like everything in this season is hurried and rushed so far. I enjoyed the episode for what it was, but I just didn't like how quickly the battle went. But it would have been worse if they'd stretched it out over two episodes, so I'm not sure why I'm so dissatisfied with it. Perhaps I'm just unhappy because it was hyped so much and was over so quickly.

I'm not an Arya fan, not really because I think she's a bit nutters (not that I blame her) but having her kill ol' blue eyes was better than it being Jon tbh. Cersei is the big bad? Meh. I like Cersei but getting the Night King out of the way like that is wasted potential imo.

Sam should be dead. I like Sam, but he shouldn't have made it this far. He shouldn't have survived that battle.

I wonder if Cersei is going to get her elephants...
Sades

Post by Sades »

A fucking coffee cup. :laugh: come on. That has to have been intentional. There's too many people that work on this shit for it to not be.

On the off chance it wasn't, it just drives home the point that this show has really gone downhill since GRRM stopped having anything to do with it. I'm still invested, but something's annoying me now (asides from the rushed pace and characters appearing seemingly from nowhere). I can't quite put my finger on it.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I feel the same. These last two series have just lacked... I dunno, jeopardy? Well, definitely that. It's just become very clear that someone's been paying attention to who the viewers like and those characters feel very obviously safe. Sam should have been dead, I agree ... happened again this week with Ayra in King's Landing. There were at least three points at which I was thinking, 'she wouldm't survive that' , only for it to be another rug pull. Typing this, I've just thought I know what it is - there's no direction. All these plot lines that have been building and bubbling away now feel utterly rudderless,the tight plotting and characterisation is all gone. These 90-minute episodes in the final run feel unsatisfying because they're too long and nothing much actually happens in them. This is, I think, why the battle with the Night King and Dany going mental this week and burning everything felt so unsatisfying. Previous series didn't have the budget for massive battles, so did smarter things like small moments of brutality, then drawing back to focus on the consequences. Here, it's just unrelenting horror for the best part of an hour then Jon Snow looking gormless.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I believe everything after is best summed up thusly:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻