Hey you old farts, I'm bored.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Hey you old farts, I'm bored.

Post by Sades »

Anyone else?

Fudge.

Name your current favourite piece of clothing and tell me why it's your sweatpants or pyjamas. Actually don't, it's because they're comfy.

Name your favourite piece of furniture and tell me why it's the bed, or the couch. OH NO WAIT DON'T it's because that's where the sleep happens.

Why do I botherrrrrrrr oh yeah, because I looked in here and thought it looked fucking dull, that's why. So I figured I'd MAKE IT WORSE :swirly:
Sades

Re: Hey you old farts, I'm bored.

Post by Sades »

Have you ever hugged someone, and had a part of their ear slip inside of your ear?

IT FEELS WEIRD
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Working with some people who still do the shirt and tie thing for remote meetings. I don't, but also haven't owned jeans or sportswear-for-people-who-don't-do-sport since I was a kid. It's been knitted sweaters, cargo trousers and slippers (and very little shaving) since day one.

Quite like this desk. Don't know how people manage to work off laptop screens without crippling pain.

Dull's good at the moment. More dull and fewer surprises, if any benevolent deities are listening.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Spoken like a true old fart! And the fact that you don't own sweatpants or jeans is weird to me. I'm not saying you're weird, we just live in different worlds. I literally don't know anyone who doesn't have sweatpants and jeans. I love weird little details like this.

Dull is super good. Yeah.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Pajama pants for me! Only have one pair of blue jeans now. Why would I need more? I only wear them when I go outside.

Personally, I haven't had a haircut in a year and last shaved sometime in October. Just like the meme says, I'm gradually turning into the kind of space wizard that I'd like to see airbrushed on the side of a van.
Sades

Post by Sades »

The pyjama/pajama thing got me, just now. I wasn't sure if it was you or me who spelled it wrong and had to Google it. Now they both just look like made-up words.

General question for the room: What thing is pandemic-new to you? Like hobby or habit or something.

I'll slap you* if you say "the pandemic" like it's clever.

* I won't because I'm so not a "physical violence" type of person. And odds are I can't reach you. But "I'll slap you" as a sentence is funny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvmEIS ... n8TyS14ncw

I like this. You UK folks are lucky to live in a part of the world where you can go out into a field, throw a rock, dig and find a Roman villa or something. I know it's not actually that easy but the words flow nice and get the point across. Probably a pain in the ass from a practical point of view in some cases, but eh.

I realised this year that I collect weird/old/show or hobby-based cookbooks, but never actually cook anything from them.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Time Team's a national institution. Further afield, you might like the photos this group shares -- https://www.facebook.com/historyandarcheology/

Have done the Carrot and Oyster Pie from this one a couple of times and it's edible. Would be more worried about the recipes in this one that are all 70s style heart disease waiting to happen. And this one doesn't really have anything unusual for being a fantasy RPG source book... but then this one feels like it's trying a bit too hard like all glossy FRPG ones. Some of them are now pretty rare so I suppose that counts as collecting.

Habits... beyond OCD level precautions, not really. Wasn't out partying anyway. Been listening to more longer Youtube stuff like Richard Herring and these lot who are playing through Curse of Strahd (great opening couple of videos, drags a bit the next couple, is picking up again -- it depends where they are).

edit: Fix link.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm slowly turning into one of those old rockers dresses like he's still 14. Black slim / skinny jeans, T-shirt with a band on or some sort of short sleeved black shirt, maybe a black jumper or today a hoodie (Misfits, as the Poppies one is in the wash). And a beanie hat, which I started wearing to keep my bald head warm, but now can't take off. Doesn't help that I set under a vent at work. Those are pretty much my favourite things to wear; black, black and more black.

Don't do tracksuits - last one I had was in 1990, when they were the uniform for all of Britain. I do have some snuggly Cookie Monster pyjamas which I love. I don't have any favourite furniture. It's all quite functional in my flat, so difficult to get excited about. Although I am pleased with all the shelving units I've bought to put things on.

I think all the old shit we have lying around in the UK is what makes us think we're so much better than everyone else, even though we're really not. I do like the history that makes up this country, but it doesn't half mean we cling to the age of empire or two world wars and one world cup, to the point of Brexit and a general level of casual racism that's incredibly depressing.

My pandemic funtimes have mostly consisted of trying to piece back together all the Lego sets got smashed up in the move (really not looking forward to trying to put the modular buildings back together, as they' got demolished and all the parts mixed up). Placed an order with Bricklink for some parts today. That was a thrill! Just a lot of ebaying really, getting rid of stuff I've collected that now just takes up space.

Cooking, I suppose, is a thing. I go tend to my parents once a week so am trying out lots of new things.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I understand the concept of having sweatpants, ie comfy pants you can wear at home. I've never met anyone who ever seriously wore a tracksuit- with matching jacket and all. I'm sure they exist out here, but I've never known anyone to do so.

Like a lot of wild animals, my appearance is dull in the winter but turns brilliantly colourful come the spring and summer. This might illicit images of someone delicate and pretty, however I'm now old, fat, dumpy and built a bit like a square, so maybe picture someone's grandma instead. :laugh: I was one of the weird kids, (I'm sure that was abundantly clear at one point). Everything I owned was black, grey, red, jewel toned, hot pink or neon. I preferred baggy corduroy pants, cargo pants and jeans to dresses. Nowadays I live in pretty dresses in the summer. I still don't care much about what's in fashion, if I like it and I feel it isn't too out there I wear it. It's too cold here in the winter to care about my clothes so I have a stock of walmart plain black/blue t-shirts and leggings/jeans (often worn layered when I need to leave the house) for these stupid months. Office appropriate wear that is probably a decade out of fashion (if it ever was in fashion at all) also exists in the back of my closet. Like a baby, I am inexplicably drawn to black and white stripes. I have always owned something striped.

... Also buffalo plaid reminds me of my dad's old hunting jacket so I can't take it seriously.
Skyquake87 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:10 pm I think all the old shit we have lying around in the UK is what makes us think we're so much better than everyone else, even though we're really not.
Humans in general are just terrible. All of us. The smartest monkey, maybe but holy shit, just. Meanwhile Earth is just patiently waiting for us to destroy ourselves so she can cover us and our shit in dirt and get on with it.

Replace "Old shit lying around in the UK " with "Canadians are nice stereotypes", and it'd almost work for here as well. Canadians have some annoying superiority issues, especially when it comes to Americans. Most people seem to completely forget our own social problems and political/economic issues in favour of "Haaa, yeah I knowwww, we're so nice, we eat maple syrup everything and we say eh and sorry, hahaha". I mean sometimes it's funny in a self-deprecating way, but when people start to say it like they actually believe it, like it's a thing/personality trait they genuinely possess, yech.

That said, maple syrup is actually nummy.

... GO AWAY WARP I SAID IT'S NUMMY.

- Recipes! I tried to make Lemon Cakes once (lemon is love) from this once, but I didn't like them much. I also wanted to make a few of the more savoury recipes but then season 8 happened. Now that the memory has faded a bit I might be able to enjoy the cookbook again.

Other cookbooks I own- this, this, this, and random little booklet-types centered around simple recipes for things such as pulses and vegetarian dishes.

I somehow don't own this, despite following her blog forever and previously thinking I owned this... and lately I keep heavily hinting that I want this, because I love the youtube series but Hound is absolutely fricking terrible with hints, even when the hint is "Hey, you can buy me this as a gift". :laugh:
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Sades wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 pm
That said, maple syrup is actually nummy.

... GO AWAY WARP I SAID IT'S NUMMY.
Well someone clearly needs a nap!

Can confirm in the late 80s/early 90s tracksuits were the go to clothing choice for the discerning child about the family home. Until the whole "cor don't they set alight easily and adhere to skin" happened.

For the record, mostly wear jeans beside the occasional time I wear sweatpants (or joggers) if I'm having a very lazy day.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Was it tracksuits or shellsuits? Sort of remember that, was there a huge public scandal?
Sades wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:10 pmlately I keep heavily hinting that I want this, because I love the youtube series but Hound is absolutely fricking terrible with hints, even when the hint is "Hey, you can buy me this as a gift". :laugh:
If historical cooking interests, this was a fascinating read as a kid. Or a few centuries more recent this is quite a page-turner (and should be really cheap on Kindle).

Have bought at least two of those Bento cookbooks for people, so I assume they're popular.

edit: Was a bit disappointed with the MDK book. Not sure why, skimming it back it fits the later self-help type brand.
StoneCold Skywarp

Denyer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:27 pm Was it tracksuits or shellsuits? Sort of remember that, was there a huge public scandal?
Shellsuits. Which I now realise I left out of my post despite that being my train of thought.
I seem to recall it being a very big thing and then very quickly being replaced by the standard track suit
Sades

Post by Sades »

Thanks for the links, vintage/themed cookbooks are the shit. I love them. I have one in storage somewhere, fairly contemporary (70's-80's probably), that was in our kitchen when I was growing up (I only just remembered it, I probably brought it home after my mum passed on and it's in with the things I kept from then. I think it's called the Back Woods Cookbook or something) that includes a recipe for elephant that I thought was pretty funny as a kid. It includes stewing the meat for weeks and adding two rabbits "in case more people show up" or something along those lines.

I enjoyed the My Drunk Kitchen book and every once in awhile I look at it on the shelf and mean to pick it up and read it again, but I never do. I just realised a holiday cookbook exists... I'm kinda interested in looking at it, might do at some point.
StoneCold Skywarp wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:03 pm
Well someone clearly needs a nap!
Let's be real; that's all of us.
StoneCold Skywarp

Sades wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:32 am Let's be real; that's all of us.
So true, so very very true. :zzz:
Sades

Post by Sades »

Just noticed-
Denyer wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:00 pm these lot
Missed one :p
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yep. They're here -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lBVVAo ... ORFDn4qmYm

It's not a TPK type of campaign (as of the end of chapter four, anyway) and the DM drops a lot of background information in so it should make sense to anyone who isn't familiar with Ravenloft. After the intro there's quite a lot of effort with costumes, props, etc.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Playlist! \o/ Excellent. Looks like good fun to do work to.
Computron

Post by Computron »

Shorts and T-Shirts every day for me now.

I think I've worn jeans about 3 times in the last 12 months (When I've forgotten something in the online shop and had to go outside to the real world)
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I tend to fall asleep in my clothes these days, do I'm reversing the all day PJ trend.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm in slacks and a polo shirt almost every day as that is the uniform they require me to wear at work. AT home though it's sweat pants and T-shirt up until Christmas when Sadie got me new pajama pants which I've worn all the time except for the few hours when they are in the wash and then they go right back on as soon as they are dry. I think I put jeans on 2 or 3 times a month. I don't get out too much except for work.

I actually don't mind being home all the time. In fact if I could manage the ordering and putting on the shelves of product from home I would take that option. I've no interest in being a front line worker as a position of honor and well regard. I'd rather just not be put in harm's way. That said the company I work for is very proactive about protecting it's employees as much as they can so it is what it is.

What I do miss is being able to go to the stores I like whenever I felt like buying something and browsing stuff and enjoying being in those places without feeling "Everyone get away from me!" the entire time I'm there.