Removing Drain Covers.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Removing Drain Covers.

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Hello Folks:

I wasn't sure where to place this topic, but since it's definitely non-TF (General Discussion), I thought I might take a gamble and roll the dice; trust me, it's not intended to be spam. Here goes: Does anyone here know of the best type of equipment and/or power tool(s) used to help remove either of these tightly sealed drain covers? Keep in mind that these drain covers are not SCREWED/NAILED IN, but SEALED IN.

My bosses and I attempted to remove these drain covers with hand tools, but of course, they wouldn't work. Truth be told, I knew that it was going to be a lost cause anyway with those tools; I just didn't feel like clashing with my "omniscient" bosses. So does anyone know what I can use to open those drains and where I can find it? Thank you very much in advance for the advice.

Me :eyebrow: :halo: :eek: :confused:
:devil: Image :angel:
Denyer

Re: Removing Drain Covers.

Post by Denyer »

Depends what you mean by hand tools. A short wrecking bar will pry most things, and a chisel and hammer will get through most things. Just be sure you have the supplies to replace parts and to patch concrete if necessary, same as you would if eg fitting a new storm drain.

If they're glued in you might be able to dissolve it, but again assume you may need to replace parts if using caustic materials. Try boiling water (edit: or possibly a heat gun) first. Once it's hot and hopefully softer even if not completely loose, try levering it up and/or chipping away material with a hammer and screwdriver.
Mr_Hi_n_Mitey
Custom Title: Overlord Of OlSkool Weirdness

Re: Removing Drain Covers.

Post by Mr_Hi_n_Mitey »

Denyer wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:08 am Depends what you mean by hand tools. A short wrecking bar will pry most things, and a chisel and hammer will get through most things. Just be sure you have the supplies to replace parts and to patch concrete if necessary, same as you would if eg fitting a new storm drain.

If they're glued in you might be able to dissolve it, but again assume you may need to replace parts if using caustic materials. Try boiling water (edit: or possibly a heat gun) first. Once it's hot and hopefully softer even if not completely loose, try levering it up and/or chipping away material with a hammer and screwdriver.

Thank you, Denyer, I will keep all of this in mind. I suspected that something like a crowbar would be most fit for the job, since it's usually very tough and sturdy. From an imaginary TF standpoint, I should probably contact a Constructicon - who likes Humans - to perform this grueling task; he would most likely be a miniature version of G1 Scavenger and/or G1 Bonecrusher so as to be able to fit in our Shipping and Receiving Hallway. His arm(s) could mechanically morph into a device(s) that would open up the drain, like the way G1 Rumble's arms often morphed into ground-shaking pile drivers. What do you think? Well ... back to Reality ... I myself would actually like to invest in a contraption that's similar to a pile driver but is built to remove drain covers though. Over near where I live, there are a few stores and warehouses that deal in construction/industrial/agricultural machinery, much of which I've never even seen before. I may still have to find the right chemicals to help break the seal that keeps the drain cover in place as well. Anyway, thank you very much again for the advice, my friend! :cool: :cheers: :up:
:devil: Image :angel: